Przemyśl (German: Proemsel) is a town in southeastern Poland. As of 1999, it belongs to the Subcarpathian Voivodeship.
Przemyśl owes its long and rich history to the advantages of its geographic location. The city lies in the Przemyśl Gate, an area connecting mountains and lowlands, with easy communication and fertile soil. It also lies on the navigable San river. Important trade routes passed through Przemyśl and ensured the city's importance.
Przemyśl is the second oldest town in southern Poland, after Kraków. It appears to have been founded as early as the 8th century.
The city centre is small and manageable by foot.
- Reformed Franciscan monastery
- Rynek, the main market square
- Franciscan Church, in baroque style
- Uniate Cathedral, former Jesuit church, now a Uniate cathedral with a nice iconostasis
- Carmelite Church, 17th century late-Renaissance church
- Castle, built by Casimir III the Great in the 14th century.
- The military cemetery, in which victims of one of the biggest WWI battles are buried.
- The National Museum Branch in Przemyśl, pl. Berka Joselewicza 1, .
- The Museum of Bells and Pipes (Clock Tower), ul. Władycze 3, .
- The Museum of the History of Przemyśl, Rynek 9, .
- The Archdiocesan Museum, plac Katedralny 2 i 3, .
- Archeological Museum
- Museum of Applied Art
There are several museums in the old town.
- Restauracja Melduję Posłusznie, ul. Dworskiego 11, . 'The Good Soldier Švejk' atmosphere recreated.
- Schronisko Młodzieżowe PTSM Matecznik, ul. Lelewela 6, ☎ +48. 16 670 61 45, . checkin: 17.00; checkout: 10.00. Very cheap place to stay, dorms and privates, member of Hostelling International so discounts with IYHF cards apply. 20 - 60 PLN.