Probolinggo is a city in East Java, Indonesia.
This is a port town, particularly for the fishing industry and is the nearest town of any size to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park. The latter is main reason any vistor comes here as there is little else of interest. The park is sometimes day tripped from an accommodation base at Probolinggo.
Buses from Surabaya take around two hours as do those from Malang.
Be sure to go all the way to the main bus terminal, 6 km southwest of the centre, instead of getting dropped off at some travel agent (who will pay the driver a commission). Minibuses to Cemoro Lawang, the nearest settlement to Bromo-Tengger-Semeru_National_Park leave from the terminal and take about an hour and a half. Purchase any tickets directly at the bus terminal, as the local travel agents are notoriously mercenary and will happily charge you multiples of the real price and/or fake return tickets.
For most people Probolinggo will only be a transfer point to get to Mount Bromo. If arriving by train (from Banyuwangi or Surabaya), you will already be spotted on the platform and freighted in an angkot to the bus stand to Cemoro Lawang (INR 3 000). There travel agents will try to sell accomodation and tours, but they aren't too persistent. Just pay for the transport (mini bus, INR 30 000, 2 hours, in the unlikely case there are 15 people. 450 000 per van (May 2015)) and you should be on track soon.
When arriving by bus, the procedure should be similar.
According to the -friendly and helpful- tourist information office it is no longer possible to hire a motorbike in the town since 2014. Before it was possible at hotel Sinar Harapan, but some tourist stole the bikes according to the owner.
Candi Jabung, Probolinggo, East Java
- Candi Jabung (Jabung Temple), (5km east of the village of Kraksaan, nr Probolinggo). A restored Buddhist temple which dates from 1354 and which is mentioned as one of the places visited mighty King Hayam Wuruk in 1359.
- Songa Adventure Rafting, Desa Pesawahan, Kecamatan Tiris, Kabupaten Probolinggo, ☎ +62 35 763 0869 ([email protected]), . Songa as the pioneer of white water rafting in the East Java always keep the adventure programs educational and with entertainment aspects (Adventure'n edutainment). The name “Songa” were taken from Madura vocabulary, which means river. Songa was born in 1999 from a youth group who are creative and love adventure, Songa wanted to give contribution to the nation in education, nature conservation and economic empowerment.
- Noars rafting, Adityawarman 70, 2nd floor, Surabaya (At Pekalen river), ☎ +62 31 567 4090 ([email protected]), .
Probolinggo is famous for its small, sweet green mangoes, known as mangga manalagi .
- Tongas Asri, Jl. Raya Tongas Km 84 (along the road from Pasuruan to Probolinggo). Cavernous but popular eatery offering a wide range of East Javanese specialities like nasi rames and soto madura. English menu available, mains around Rp 10,000.
- Bromo Permai, l Panglima Sudirman 327, Probolinggo, ☎ +62 335 22256. Very popular with budget travellers heading to Bromo-Semeru. Has a range of accommodation but all of it is clean, if basic. From about Rp 90,000.
- Hotel Tampiarto Plaza, Jl Suroyo 15, Probolinggo, . Mid range hotel with a nice pool and 24 hr restaurant. From Rp 200,000.
- Hotel Ratna, Jl. Panglima Sudirman.
- Hotel Sinar Harapan, Jl Bengawan Solo 100. Reasonable place. Three kind of rooms; fan (100k), aircon (150k) and deluxe (200k). Aircon room is the best value, since the deluxe room is bigger and the aircon has not enough power to cool it. Downstairs room are less noisy. Renting motorbikes here is no longer possible. Note that the rooms have only a cold bucket-shower. There is a small store opposite the street with cheap and pretty good nasi goring etc, friendly lady. (May 2014)