Praia is Cape Verde's capital and busiest town. Probably not worth visiting in itself, but worth a half-day exploration if you are passing through to another destination.
The centre of town lies on a plateau overlooking the bay to the southeast. The airport lies a few kilometers to the northeast.
A few kilometers south of centre is the area of Prainha which has two pleasant beaches and a few further accomadation options.
Praia has an international airport. TACV (national flag carrier) and TAP airlines fly to various destinations in Africa, and to Portugal. Taxis from the airport to Praia cost 500$. After 18:00 the cost is 1000$. There does not appear to be public transport to the airport.
- Praia town hall. (14.917112,-23.509324)
- Praia Cathedral. (14.917389,-23.508751)
- Palácio da Justiça. (14.917710,-23.508626)
- Cybercafé Sofia. A great place to eat local food and watch the world go by. (14.919648,-23.507438)
- Rosymar Inn (Rosymar Inn), 16 Rua Tenente Valadim (Know as Madragoa) Praia, Santiago, Cape Verde, . checkin: 1:00pm; checkout: 11:00am. For the best value and service in the Island of Santiago Cape Verde Island, look no further than RosymarInn. Located in the heart of the capital city of Praia, known as Plateau, the 100% smoke-free RosymarInn is ideal for conventional, recreational and business travelers who want to enjoy great service, amenities and a convenient location. Our staff is committed to providing guests with the highest quality accommodations and friendly customer service at great rates. call. (011.238.261. 6345,)
Praia's high-end options are located south of the main town in the area of Prainha.
- Pestana Trópico, Caixa Postal 413 Cidade da Praia Cabo Verde, ☎ (+238) 2614200 ([email protected], fax: (+238) 2615225), . 10min to centre of the Praia. 5km from the airport.
- Oásis Atlântico Praiamar, Prainha, Cidade da Praia, Ilha de Santiago, ☎ (+238) 261 3777 / 261 4153 ([email protected], fax: (+238) 261 2972), . Decrepit infrastructure, outrageously overpriced.
- Hotel América, Achada St Antonio - Praia - CP 55/A, ☎ (+238) 262 1431 ([email protected]). In Praiha, south of the centre of town near the beaches sgl 4500$ dbl 5500$ suite 7200$ including breakfast.
- Benfica Pensao, 30 Rua 5 de Julho | Plateau Praia, Praia, Santiago CP 273A, Cape Verde.
- Beramar Restauracao Hotelaria e Tourismo, Cha De Areia, Praia, Santiago, Cape Verde.
- Perola Hotel, Cha de Areia, Praia, Santiago 129A, Cape Verde.
- Residencial Praia Maria, 30 Rua 5 de Julho | Plateau Praia, Praia, Santiago CP 273A, Cape Verde (In a quiet area near the main market), . checkout: 12:00. This three star hotel is a bit past its prime, but is bright and clean. Sgl 4200-6000$ dbl 5200-7000$ triple 6500-8000$ includes breakfast.
- United States, Rua Abilio Macedo 6 Praia, Cape Verde, ☎ 238-260-8900 ([email protected], fax: 238-261-1355), .
Cidade Velha, the historic capital, is an easy half-day trip.