PottsvilleEarth : North America : United States of America : Mid-Atlantic : Pennsylvania : Pottsville
Pottsville is a city in Pennsylvania.
Pottsville was incorporated as a borough in 1828 and then chartered as a city in 1911. Like most cities and towns in this region of Pennsylvania, anthracite coal mining has a lot to do with its history.
Pottsville can be accessed from the north by way of Interstate 81 by taking PA-61 south, and from Interstate 78 in the south by taking PA-61 north. US Route 209, although signed north and south, is the east-west thoroughfare for the city. Also, Greyhound operates a bus terminal in Pottsville.
Getting around by car is the easiest option in Pottsville as parking is not a big issue. However, public bus service is available through the Schuylkill Transportation System (STS), which connects Pottsville to the smaller towns in the county.
- Jerry's Classic Cars and Collectibles Museum, 394 S Center Street, ☎ +1 570 628-2266 ([email protected]), . May-October Fri, Sat, Sun Noon-5pm. $8, $6 for Seniors/AAA members. edit
- Jewish Museum of Eastern Pennsylvania, 2200 Mahantongo Street, ☎ +1 570 622-8900. Mon-Thu 10am-1pm. Located inside the Oheb Zedeck Synagogue, the largest in Schuylkill County. Also located here is the Oheb Zedeck Cemetery, a small Jewish cemetery. edit
- Schuylkill County Historical Society, 305 N Centre Street, ☎ +1 570 622-7540 ([email protected], fax: +1 570 628-2012), . Wed 1:30pm-6:30pm, Thu-Fri 10am-4pm, Sat 10am-2pm. edit
- Yuengling Brewery Tour, 501 Mahantongo Street, ☎ +1 570 628-4890, . April-December 10am-3pm. The tour of America's oldest brewery explores the production of Yuengling products, shows fermentation caves that were used to store the beer, and a free sampling is available at the end. Free. edit
Three indoor shopping malls are located near Pottsville. Cressona Mall to the south, Fairlane Village Mall to the north, and Schuylkill Mall located further north.
- Maroons Sports Bar, 556 N Centre St, ☎ (570) 628-4625, . Maroons serves typical American bar/pub food and always has locally brewed Yuengling beer on tap. Read their website to get an idea of the history behind the establishment. edit
- The Greystone, 315 N. Centre St, ☎ 570-628-4220. Voted the number one fine dining restaurant in the county, The Greystone is located across from City Hall in downtown Pottsville. They have a creative menu and live entertainment. In fairer weather outdoor seating is available and private dining rooms can be arranged. edit
Pottsville boasts a great number of bars and pubs all around the city.
- GoodFella's, GoodFellas Warehouse 1105 S Centre St (Rt-61 1 mile south of Kentucky Fried Chicken turn West @traffic light/Getty Station), ☎ (570)-628-2474, . Voted Schuylkill County's number one night club, they pull a lot of larger acts in than the rest of the area can boast. edit
- Ramada Pottsville, 101 South Progress Avnue, Pottsville, Pa - 17901, ☎ +1 570-622-4600, . edit
- The River Inn, 1476 Rt.61 Hwy S. Pottsville, ☎ (570) 385-2407. edit
- The Pottsville Motor Inn, Rt. 61 Hwy N. Pottsville, ☎ (570) 622-4917. edit
Smaller Schuylkill County towns may have one or more attractions each. Some of these include the No. 9 Mine Tour in Lansford, the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary in Kempton, the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine in Ashland, Beninga Creek Vineyard and Winery in Klingersown, the Schuylkill Historical Fire Society in Shenandoah, the Tamaqua Railroad Station in Tamaqua, Whitewater Rafting Adventures in Nesquehoning, and Tuscarora State Park.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|