| || |
|−|* <drink name="Tommy’s Place" address="109 Main St, Port Jefferson, NY 11777" phone="(631) 473-8778" url="http://www.tommysplace.com/" hours="Happy Hour M-F 3-7pm " tags="comma,separated,tag_labels">Tommy's Place is a local bar and restaurant where college kids like to spend their Friday nights. Weekends the bar gets very crowded and very loud. Locals complain of over priced drinks and slow service. </drink> | |
| || |
<drink name="Tara Inn " address="1519 Main St, Port Jefferson, NY 11777" phone="(631 ) 473- 9602" tags="comma,separated,tag_labels">Tara Inn is a bar and grill where you can find the local’s on St Patrick’s day or a Saturday night with friends. Good prices on food and drinks. </drink > |+|
1519 Main St, 631
Tara Inn is a bar and grill where you can find the local’s on St Patrick’s day or a Saturday night with friends. Good prices on food and drinks.
| || |
Revision as of 16:40, 15 June 2013
Port Jefferson is a village in Suffolk County in the state of New York.
The Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson is a historical village located in the town of Brookhaven. Prior to becoming a popular tourist spot, the Village was the largest shipbuilding center in Suffolk County during the 19th century. P.T. Barnum, famous circus owner, used to own a large tract of land within the Village. He originally intended to make Port Jefferson the home base for his circus, but residents put a stop to his plan. There are still some links to Barnum scattered around the Village, and (though privately owned at this time) his home still stands.
Port Jefferson was incorporated in 1963. Many historical buildings are included in the town’s historic district and are included on the National Register of Historic Places. The Bayles Shipyard and First National Bank of Port Jefferson building are also listed. Since its incorporation, Port Jefferson has grown into a place where good food, friendly people and waterfront views can be found.
- From the Long Island Expressway (I-495) take Exit 64 to Route 112 North. Follow Route 112 North approximately 9 miles until you enter the Village. Your full entrance will be marked by a blinking yellow traffic light at a three-way intersection.
- Follow Route 347 to Route 112 and then take Route 112 North until you enter the Village.
- There is parking located throughout Port Jefferson. Free on-street parking is typically limited to between thirty and sixty minutes. Metered parking lots are also available around the village. Meters typically run every day from mid-March to around Thanksgiving between the hours of 10am and midnight. $0.25 will give you thirty minutes of parking and there is not a time limit if you continue to pay the meters. Also, be aware of where you are parking, some lots are available to only Port Jefferson residents or Town of Brookhaven residents; these lots will be marked and you must have the appropriate sticker to park in any of these lots.
- The Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company operates a daily ferry schedule for walk-on passengers as well as for drive-on car and their passengers. The ferry stops directly in Port Jefferson on the Long Island side and in Bridgeport on the Connecticut side. Schedules and rate information can be found at http://www.88844ferry.com or by calling +1 888 44-FERRY.
The Village is home to mostly foot traffic. To really see the unique shops and restaurants its best to ditch the car for the day and get out and walk around. But be aware in the spring and summer the village is full of visitors due to the warm weather, so it makes parking very limited. It’s best to arrive earlier in the day to beat the traffic.
- Theatre Three
- 412 Main Street, +1 631 928-9100, http://theaterthree.com/
- Theatre Three a not-for-profit professional regional theatre that was founded in 1969, located in Athena Hall, a 140-year-old historic building on Main Street. Every year the Theatre has a Main Stage season of seven big productions, Second Stage season of small plays, Cabernet & Comedy night, and is home to a Children’s Theatre program. Acting classes are offered and tickets can be found online. What the theatre lacks in size it makes up for in talent.
- Mather House Museum
- 115 Prospect Street, +1 631 473-2665, http://www.portjeffhistorical.org/pages/Museum.html
- Hours: July-August only, Tu, W, Sa and Su, 1pm-4pm
- Is the headquarters of The Historical Society of Great Port Jefferson for most of the year but during July and August the House is open to the public to view the small museum. Within the museum is the Mather House, craft house & museum shop, country store, marine barn & sail loft, tool shed, and the spinney clock museum. Each building holds a collection of antiques from the original village in the 1800’s. It is an informational tour for the curious locals and interested tourists.
- Harborfront Park
- Harborfront Parka popular place to enjoy the view of the Long Island Sound. The park is made up of a grassy dune lined with benches, picnic tables, and a play area for the kids. At the heart of the park is the Landmark Sculpture by sculptors James C. Smith, Peter LeBaron and Doug Stephens of four seamen holding the bones of a ship above their heads.
- Port Jazz
- 201 Main St # C Port Jefferson, NY 1177, +1 631 476-7600, http://www.portjazz.com/
- Hours: Fri 8pm-4am; Sat 8pm-2am; may also be open other days for events or private parties
- Port Jazz is an upbeat, 21+ nightclub that features live entertainment Thursday through Saturday night for the older generations. The entertainment keeps the crowd pleased and the people dancing, making for a great night on the town.
- Rocket Ship Park
- Rocket Ship Park is a safe fenced in playground area for the younger kids. The park offers two swing sets, a larger jungle gym for the energetic toddlers, and a smaller jungle gym for the babies, public basketball courts, and public tennis courts. The park closes at dusk, which is strongly enforced by the local police.
- The Rinx at Harborfront Park
- 101-A East Broadway Port Jefferson, NY 11777, +1 631 403-4357, http://www.portjeffrink.com/
- Skating on the Harbor is offered seven days a week from mid November to mid March by the Port Jefferson Village center in Harborfront Park. The outside rink is open for lessons and the public. This is a hot spot for bored local teens at night, and family bonding during the day. Skates rentals are offered.
- Osprey Fishing
- 118 West Broadway (Port Jefferson Marina), +1 631 331-4153, ospreyfishing.com
- The Osprey sails out of Port Jefferson as an open boat daily, weather permitting. From 7am-2pm, the crew and guests fish for fluke and from 4:30pm until dark they fish for porgies. Children are welcome.
- Celtic Quest Fishing
- 118 West Broadway (Port Jefferson Marina), +1 631 928-3926, celticquestfishing.com
- The Celtic Quest sails daily, weather permitting, but highly recommends reservations. From 7am-2pm, the crew and guests fish for fluke and from 4:30pm until dark they fish for porgies. Children are welcome.
- 301 E Main St, +1 631 331-0965, http://www.fetchdoggies.com/
- Hours: M-W 11am-6pm, Th 11am-7pm, F-Sa 11am-6pm, Su 12pm-5pm
- Fetch is a gourmet doggie bakery and boutique. This creative shop offers an extensive amount of all natural doggie treats, and trendy dog and cat care products. Some of the proceeds go towards pet friendly organizations.
- 100 Arden Place, +1 631 474-5116, http://www.gap.com/
- Hours: M-Sa 10-9pm, Su 10am-7pm
- Gap is an all American casual clothing store that offers Women’s, Men’s, and Children’s apparel.
- Lainie’s Way (local or alternative name)
- 216 Main St, +1 631 474-5558, http://www.lainiesway.com/
- Hours: M-W 10am-6pm, Th-Sa 10am-7pm, Su 10am-5pm
- Lainie's Way is an educational games, puzzles, and kite shop. Inside the shop many of the games are on display for kids to test out and enjoy.
- Your Favorite Team
- 134 Main Street, +1 631 331-6649
- Hours: Su-Th 10am-6pm, open late Fridays and Saturdays, extended hours possible during summer season
- Your Favorite Team is located in the Harbor Square Mall, a brown building across the street from the Gap. Your Favorite Team is the place to shop for any and all sports related items. The store boasts clothing and memorabilia from all the major league teams.
- Sea Creations
- 134 Main Street, +1 631 473-8388, http://www.seacreations.com/
- Hours: Su-Th 10am-6pm, open late Fridays and Saturdays, extended hours possible during summer season
- Sea Creations is located in the Harbor Square Mall, a brown building across the street from the Gap. Sea Creations is home to a variety of touristy knick-knacks, beautiful jewelry and just about anything related to the sea. From Memorial Day to Labor Day, the store also sells hermit crabs and they sell many Long Island related trinkets year-round.
- Pepperheads Hotsauces
- 134 Main Street, +1 631 476-9236, http://www.pepperheads-hotsauces.com/
- Hours: M-Su 12pm-5pm
- Pepperheads Hotsauces is located in the Harbor Square Mall, a brown building across the street from the Gap. Pepperheads boasts a variety of hot sauces, BBQ sauces, seasonings, hot peppers and even grow-your-own hot pepper plants. A large portion of their business is also done online if you are ever looking for sauces when you are not in Port Jefferson and they offer free tastings most days.
- The Steam Room
- 4 East Broadway, +1 631 928-6690, http://steamroomrestaurant.com/
- Hours: Su-Th 8am-10pm; F-Sa 8am-11pm
- The Steam Room is a restaurant that offers casual dining fresh seafood, burgers, sandwiches, homemade soups and salads. Open for lunch and dinner with the choice of seating inside, outside, or by the fire in the winter months. Occasionally live bands play Friday and Saturday nights.
- Toast Coffeehouse
- 242 East Main Street, +1 631 331-6860, http://toastcoffeehouse.com/
- Breakfast and Lunch Hours: M-Th 8am-3pm, F-Su 8am-4pm Dinner and Wine Bar Hours: Th-Sa 6pm-12am reservations are required for dinner hours
- Toast Coffee House is a funky local café that offers an original breakfast and lunch menu. At night, Toast transforms into a wine bar that serves fondue, tapas, dinners, desserts, and craft beer Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Contributing to the unique vibe and atmosphere is the (buyable) artwork on the walls that changes monthly in conjunction with artist consortium FRESH Art Long Island. There is live music every Thursday night.
- 217 Main St, +1 631 476-7510, http://www.zpita.com/port-jeff/
- Hours: M-Th 9am-9pm, F 9am-10pm, Sa 8:30am-10pm, Su 8:30am-8:30pm
- Z-Pita is a Mediterranean style restaurant that offers a selection of seafood, Greek, and Italian dishes. Fondue is also served seven nights a week, cheese or chocolate. Open for brunch lunch and dinner this restaurant, can cater an event or host a small party.
- Tiger Lily Café
- 156 East Main Street, +1 631 476-7080, http://www.tigerlilycafe.com/
- Hours: 11am-6pm daily
- Tiger Lilly Cafe is a healthy vegetarian/non vegetarian international cuisine café with an artistic vibe and limited seating. Their menu is full of original recipes such as wraps, sandwiches, salads, soups, fruit smoothies, soy smoothies, juices, energy shakes, and an espresso & java bar. Along with offering vegetarian selections they offer daily gluten free specials. In 2008-2009 Tiger Lily Café was rated number one Vegetarian on Long Island by AOL City’s Best.
- The Pie
- 216 Main Street,+1 631 331-4646, http://www.thepieofportjeff.com/
- Hours: Su-Th 11:30am-9pm, F-Sa 11:30am-10pm
- The Pie is an Italian-style eatery in Port Jefferson that offers New York style, Chicago style and thin crust pizza in addition to a menu offering different pastas and entrees.
- Tommy’s Place
- 109 Main Street, +1 631 473-8778, http://www.tommysplace.com/
- Hours: M-Sa 11:30am-4am, Su 12pm-4am Happy Hour M-F 3-7pm
- Tommy's Place is a local bar and restaurant where college kids like to spend their Friday nights.
- Tara Inn
- 1519 Main St, +1 631 828-5987
- Hours: 11am-2am daily Happy Hour 4-8pm every day
- Tara Inn is a bar and grill where you can find the local’s on St Patrick’s day or a Saturday night with friends. Good prices on food and drinks. Be aware: cash only.
- Billie's 1890 Saloon
- 304 Main Street, +1 631 331-1890
- Hours: M-Sa 11:30am-4am, Su 12pm-3am Happy Hour: M-F 4pm-8pm
- Billie's 1890 Saloon is an upbeat saloon. On Friday and Saturday nights, Billie's spins their $2 wheel every 15 minutes and whatever drink it lands on is just $2.
- The New Heritage Inn, 201 West Broadway Port, ☎ +1-631-473-2499. Is a small Inn open 24/7 that offers 46 rooms with a list of basic amenities. This is not a luxurious hotel but a nice clean place to stay for a night or two.
- Danfords Inn, 25 East Broadway, ☎ +1-800-332-6367. Is a larger Inn featuring 85 guest rooms and suites some with harbor views. Along with a variety of rooms this Inn offers different dinning, entertainment, and conference facilities used for parties, gatherings, and weddings. This inn also offers marina access. This is a respectable Inn with clean comfortable rooms.
For more information and question contact:
Village of Port Jefferson
121 West Broadway Port Jefferson, NY 11777
Main Office: 473-4724, Fax: 473-8799
Recreation Office: 802-2160, Fax: 802-2164
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!