Port Arthur  is in the Gulf Coast region of Texas. The town of about 60,000 sits at the bottom right corner of the state. Its downtown was devastated in 2005 by Hurricane Rita. The city is flanked by oil refineries and by water. Both provide interesting scenery and jobs to the locals.
Jack Brooks Regional Airport (IATA: BPT)  is the major commercial airport for the Beaumont, Nederland and Port Arthur area, which is about 9 mi N/NW of Port Arthur along Memorial Blvd (US Hwy 287/69/96) between Port Arthur & Beaumont. Currently, the airport is used by two carriers: United  and American Eagle from their respective hubs in Houston and Dallas-Ft Worth. The United "flight" from Houston is actually a direct bus from Houston's Bush Intercontinental (IAH) to the Jack Brooks Regional Airport.
Rental car facilities are also available at the airport. In addition, there are taxis from the airport but no public bus service into town.
- Greyhound, Maganas Food [email protected] Gulfway Dr (Gulfway Dr & 10th Ave), ☎ +1-409 985-4356 (toll free: 1-800-231-2222), . Travels primarily on Interstate 10 between Houston, Port Arthur, Beaumont-Vidor, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge & New Orleans. edit
- Sun Travel Airport Shuttle, 4875 Parker Dr. (Old Terminal @ Jack Brooks Airport), ☎ +1 409 721-9636 ([email protected]), . They have additional pick up points at various hotels along Tx Hwy 73, Jimmy Johnson Blvd and Memorial Blvd. Look under the header 'Beaumont Hotel Zone 1' in their website . edit
- Buu Mon Buddhist Temple, 2701 Procter, ☎ +1 409 982-9319 ([email protected]), . Temple, lotus garden and water garden. Free tours by appointment. Hosts annual lotus and bamboo festival in summer and lunar new year celebration. edit
- Museum of the Gulf Coast, 700 Procter, ☎ +1 409 982-7000 ([email protected]), . M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 1PM-5PM. Exhibits include history, natural history, fine and decorative art, and popular culture. The Museum's Music Hall of Fame features a permanent exhibit on the life and career of Janis Joplin who was born and raised in Port Arthur. $3.50 adults, $3 seniors, $1.50 ages 6-18, $.50 ages 0-6, group rates available, school tours free. edit
- Pleasure Island, (S on Tx Hwy 82 across MLK Bridge to Pleasure Island), . 3,500-acre manmade island surrounded by Sabine Lake and the Sabine Neches Intracoastal Waterway. The Sabine Causeway at the south end of the island connects Texas and Louisiana. Activities include sailing, golfing, fishing, crabbing, boating, hiking, biking, birding, disc golfing, and camping. edit
- Pompeiian Villa, 1953 Lakeshore Dr, ☎ +1 409 983-5977. Tours by appointment. edit
- Queen of Peace Shrine, 801 9th Ave, ☎ +1 409 983-7676. Free. edit
- Rose Hill Manor, 100 Woodworth (Woodworth at Lakeshore), ☎ +1 409 985-7292. National Register of Historic Places-listed colonial-style home built in 1906. Tours by appointment. edit
- Texas Artists Museum, 501 Cultural Center Dr, ☎ +1 409 983-4881 ([email protected]), . Tu-Sa noon-4PM. Primarily exhibits works of local artists. Free. edit
- Vuylsteke Dutch Home, 1831 Lakeshore Dr, ☎ +1 409 984-6101. The Consul of the Netherlands built this home in 1905. Owned by Lamar State College - Port Arthur. Tours by appointment. Free. edit
- White Haven, 2545 Lakeshore Dr, ☎ +1 409 984-6101. Historic home owned by Lamar State College - Port Arthur. Tours by appointment. Free. edit
- Charter fishing, . With rivers, a saltwater lake and the Gulf Coast surrounding Port Arthur, fishing is a natural pastime. You can suit yourself and find lots of good fishing holes by land or on the water. You can also go out with a guide. There are quite a few charter businesses found at the Port Arthur Chamber of Commerce website. edit
- Lakeshore Drive, Lakeshore Dr. There is a nice walk or drive along Lakeshore Drive from Lamar State College to the White Haven house. A walkpath, sometimes open for car traffic, leads closer to the water. On one side you'll see the historic homes built along Lakeshore Drive in the early 20th century, on the other side you see the intracoastal waterway. If you are lucky a cargo ship or an oil tanker will pass by and remind you how small humans are. The walk is not recommended at night for safety reasons. edit
- Southeast Texas Mardi Gras, 500 Procter St, ☎ +1 409 721-8717, . Parades, concerts and revelry take place the weekend before Fat Tuesday. $7-10 festival, parades free. edit
- Esther's Seafood & Oyster Bar (Esther's Cajun Seafood), 7237 Rainbow Lane (off of Tx Hwy 73 at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge), ☎ +1 866 820-1754, . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F 11AM-10PM, Sa 5-10PM. Located on the water at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge, the menu at this Cajun Restaurant includes alligator, boudain, crawfish, crab, frog legs, gumbo, oysters, shrimp and steaks. Fish dishes include red snapper and flounder. Car and boat access. $15-30. edit
- MainStay Suites, 7648 Memorial Blvd, ☎ +1 409-729-8880, . Extended stay hotel with full kitchens, microwaves, coffee makers, refrigerators, sofa sleepers, irons and ironing boards. Some rooms feature balconies. edit
- Imperial Inn and Suites Port Arthur Texas (Hotel in Port Arthur TX), 8040 Memorial Blvd Port Arthur, TX 77642, ☎ (409)729-3434, . Imperial Inn and Suites Port Arthur Texas is located in Port Arthur since 2007. Imperial Inn and Suites Extended stay Hotel in Port Arthur has 72 well-equipped rooms with kitchenettes, couches, fridges, microwaves, Whirlpools and many more. (29.9415670,-93.9858750) edit