Port AlfredSunshine Coast (South Africa) : Port Alfred
Port Alfred is a town on the Sunshine Coast of the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. It is situated at the mouth of the Kowie River, almost exactly midway between Port Elizabeth in the west and East London in the east. It boasts fabulous beaches that stretch for many kilometres in both directions.
Port Alfred is small enough that the entire town can easily be covered on foot. It is a pleasant walk from town along the west bank of the Kowie River to the beach (via Causeway and Beach Road). There are beaches on the eastern side of the Kowie River mouth as well but these are quite a bit further as you have to walk around the Royal Alfred Marina.
Boating and CruisingEdit
- Halyards Boats, ☎ +27 (0)46 604-3300. edit
- Boat Registrations, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-4587. edit
- Kowie River Cruises, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-1727. edit
- Let’s Go Cruises, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-1866. edit
- Lightleys Holiday House Boat, ☎ +27 (0)44 386-0007. edit
- Predator Charters, ☎ +27 (0)82 495-9971. Deep sea charters edit
- Outdoor Focus, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-4432. edit
- Kowie Canoe Trail, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-4432. 1-3 day trail edit
Fishing - Whether you prefer reef, river, estuary, deep sea or coastal fishing, there are plenty of incredible locations within the Sunshine Coast to choose from. Port Alfred is famous for having the distinction of being the third largest “line fishing port” in South Africa.
Diving - The shores of the Sunshine Coast are host to the most unique diving experience in the Eastern Cape. This part of the coast is famous for soft coral reefs, numerous wrecks that dot the shores and the incredible “Lunar landing” where crayfish in the hundreds live and breed.
Horse riding and hiking trailsEdit
- Three Sisters Horse Trails, ☎ +27 (0)82 645-6354. In Kleinemonde edit
- Horse Shoe Bend Reserve, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-1140. edit
- Kap River Nature Reserve, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-1140. edit
- The Shipwreck Hiking and Slackpacking Trail, ☎ +27 (0)82 391 0647. In Kleinemonde edit
- The Royal Port Alfred Golf Course, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-4796, . The Royal Port Alfred Golf Course has a sea view you will never forget. This 18-hole course was laid out between 1907 and 1915 and was given royal status by King George V edit
- The Fish River Sun Golf Course, ☎ +27 (0)40 676-1101, . This Golf Course is only 40 kilometres away from Port Alfred edit
- Green Fountain Farm Resort Driving Range, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-5859, . Perfectly situated between two great golf courses is the Green Fountain Farm Resort Driving Range. They offer a full driving range, an immaculate putting green and a practice bunker. edit
- The Boardwalk Restaurant & Bar, The Anchorage, Gluckman Rd, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-5778. The locals' favourite - beautiful setting on Demper's Lagoon. Excellent food and laidback atmosphere. edit
Guido's Top Bar - The most popular bar ,and the busiest on a Friday/Saturday/Wednesday night. Mostly for students.
Snorting Grunter - Club right on the beach front.
Highlander - Typical British style pub. Good food too.
Barmuda - Cocktail bar on the bank of the Kowie River.
- Portofino, Park Road, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-2223 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)46 624-2884), . edit
- 4Carnoustie, Atherstone Road, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-3306 (+27 (0)72 610-2905, [email protected]), . R300 per person self catering, R400-R700 per person B&B. edit
- Green Fountain Farm Resort, Atherstone Road, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-5859 ([email protected]), . Green Fountain Farm Resort is perfectly situated on the Sunshine Coast in beautifully appointed thatched chalets, fully equipped for self catering. edit
- Drop Anchor Guest Cottage, Atherstone Road, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-3376 ([email protected]). Self catering, free standing, secure cottage sleeping 4 persons near golf course, beach and village. edit
- Turning Tides B&B/SC, Atherstone Road, ☎ +27 (0)46 624-4700 ([email protected]), . We offer a Garden Cottage and a Studio (bedsitter), both of which are fully equipped for self-catering. Breakfast can be provided, if required. Turning Tides is situated close to Port Alfred's CBD, the Kowie River, and at least three restaurants. edit
- The Lookout Guest House ([email protected]), 24 Park Rd Port Alfred, ☎ +27 (0)46 6244564, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. A 4 star guest house with stunning views of the river, marina, and the ocean. Self catering option is also available. From R350 pp B&B. (-33.59135,26.89519) edit