|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
(also known as "Pondi", and now officially called Puducherry) 
, is a city and capital of the Pondicherry
union territory of Southern India
French Memorial on Beach Road
Though very small, Pondicherry was the largest French colony in India. The city has a long and interesting history of trade and war. There is a strong French influence in the city, especially in the old quarters, with Rues and Boulevards lined with Mediterranean style houses and bakeries, although the city remains very much indian. French is still understood, and the whole city makes for rather pleasant mix of East and West. It is also known as The French Riviera of the East (La Côte d'Azur de l'Est). If you've spent some time in Tamil Nadu and approached Pondicherry by land, you'll very likely experience mild culture shock on discovering French architecture and restaurants serving steak and good wine. Pondicherry is very much a city with a dual personality: crossing from East to West of the central canal reveals two cities with very different characters.
Pondicherry is well connected from all sides. Chennai is situated 160 km north of the city. Getting to Pondicherry involves a three hour road journey from Chennai. One can get a bus from CMBT in Koyambedu or from Thiruvanmiyur or Guindy. You can be sure of a seat only from CMBT in Koyambedu.
You can also take a taxi from Chennai Airport. It costs Rs. 1500 (apporox USD 35.00) (as of December 2009)
The road from Chennai to Pondicherry (the East Coast Road, commonly called ECR) is a scenic highway and a normal journey would take about 3 hours. Most tourists however, cannot resist the seashore kissing the ECR and take a number of stops en route. This route passes through Mahabalipuram, Kalpakkam, Pudupattinam, Idaikkazhinadu (Alamparai Fort also called Alambara Fort), Mudaliarkuppam (has a cool boat house), Marakkanam (contains large areas under salt pans), Kanagachettikulam/Kalapet etc. before reaching Pondicherry.
The other route that can be taken to reach Pondy is through the National Highway 45 (NH-45) famously called as the Grand Southern Trunk GST Road. This route passes through Tambaram, Madhurantakam, Melmaruvathur, Tindivanam before reaching Pondicherry. Both the major roads from Chennai are toll roads and approximately take the same time.
Pondicherry is about 320 km from Bangalore. Drive down National Highway 7 (NH-7) till Krishnagiri, take a left off the main highway (roadsigns mark the route) and then take National Highway 66 (NH-66) to Pondicherry. This route passes through Uthangarai, Chengam, Tiruvannamalai, Gingee and Tindivanam. One can reach Pondicherry either through Tindivanam (via Gingee) or Villupuram (via Thirukovilur). Gingee fort is also on the way to Tindivanam and worth spending some time. It is a Archealogical survey of India (ASI)Heritage site. The total travel time should be about 5-6 hours. Do pack some food or snacks for the way as there are no good restaurants enroute.
Pondicherry is well connected to Cuddalore, Chidambaram, Karaikal, Nagapattinam, Velankanni, etc to the South by National Highway 45A (NH-45A). The road is well maintained till Chidambaram.
Pondicherry connects to the GST or NH - 45 in two places viz. at Villupuram by NH-45A and at Tindivanam by NH-66.
- Ramana Tourist Sevices & Travels, A Good Car Rental services in Chennai, Arranging Toyota Innova, Force Tempo Traveller, Tata Indigo at best packages. Contact ☎ +91 9884573263 Mail: [email protected]; 24*7 service.
Pondicherry is connected to Chennai by an electric broad gauge railway line through Villupuram. There are 2 passenger trains running daily to Chennai Egmore Railway station and Tirupati and there is a weekly express train service to Bhubaneswar. In addition to this, there is also a daily express train to Chennai Egmore.It is advisable to go by road rather than train to Pondicherry from Chennai as the journey is longer by train.
Bangalore Yesvanthapur(YPR) to Podicherry(PDY) is connected by a 3-Tier AC Train called Garibh Rath Express. It covers a distance of 456 kilometres in each direction however it takes 10 hours 5 mins when operating as train number 12255 at an average speed of 60 km/h (excluding halts). It leaves Puducherry as train number 12256 on Saturday at 22:05 hrs and at the end of 8 halts arrives at Yesvanthapur the next day at 08:25 hrs. It leaves Yesvantpur as train number 12255 on Friday at 23:15 hrs and at the end of 9 halts arrives at Puducherry the next day at 09:20 hrs. Coach Composition comprises of 16 AC 3 tier coaches and 2 luggage cum generator coach taking the total up to 18 coaches.
Pondicherry has an airport with facilities for the landing of small aircraft like Dornier, Cessna, etc. But it is not available for public use presently. Several airlines have shown interest in flying to Puducherry Airport.
The best way to see Pondicherry and its surrounding areas is by renting out a "Pedal cycle" or a "motorcycle" or "gearless scooter". But as traffic increases, it is increasingly difficult to walk in many streets as they are crowded. There are several rental outlets on Mission St and MG Rd. The prices as of July 2010 were Rs.200/day for a gearless scooter, and Rs.250/day for a geared motorcycle and Rs 40/day for a bicycle. You will need to provide some identification document as collateral and an advance of Rs 500. Many of the rentals also provide delivery and pickup at the hotel which is very useful. (Note: Usually the number of days for these vehicles are calculated from 9.00 AM to 9.00 PM. The motorbikes are easily available in a couple of two wheeler rental shops in Mission Street.
The Pondicherry tourism development corporation has daily bus services for tourists and it covers all the important tourist spots to be seen in Pondicherry. It is the best and most economic way to tour Pondicherry.
- taxiGUIDE.in (Pondicherry Car Rental), ☎ +91 888 023 4455 ([email protected]), . Inquiry: 7am to 11pm. Pondicherry Car Rental services on taxiGUIDE.in - cabs can also be booked to Pondy from Bangalore & Chennai. Fares starting Rs.789 for within city and Rs.9/km for outstation.
The main language spoken in Pondicherry is Tamil, though French is also widely spoken. Telugu and Malayalam are the other two official languages, but their use is generally confined to specific districts.
English is spoken by most educated people, and is the lingua franca between people from different linguistic districts.If you know english or Tamil, you can survive your visit to Pondicherry. French alone will not help.
Gandhi Statue on Beach Road
- The Beach
- Barathi Park
- Botanical garden
- Chunnambar Boat House(which is crowded on holidays and weekends)
- Oustery Lake(Only as a view but not developed)
- Paradise Beach
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram
- Government Museum
- Auroville International city
Matri Mandir in Auroville
- Boat House
- Manakula Vinayagar Temple
- Villianur - St. Lourd Church (7Km from Pondicherry towards Villupuram)
- Villianur Thirukameeswarar Temple
- Auro Beach (Opposite to Auroville City)
There is not much one is expected to do at Pondicherry. You would understand this better once you get there and understand the pace of life.
You can also do some serious meditation at the Auroville, the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, or going to Bharatanatyam performances that are often organized there by the Auroville Cultural Exchange  in the local temples, or at major hotels.
You can also go fishing in a Catamaran or while away your evenings at the Rocky Beach. You can also hire mopeds and go on long drives for the sandy beaches that dot the coast line.
You can also experience staying in a traditional 'Parapachai' house - an affectionate name given by connoisseurs to traditional green colored houses. First class experience.
- Casablanca and Titanic, Mission Street. must see shopping. the latter is a factory outlet of the former.
- French Quarter Architecture, the other side of the canal road to the coastline.
- Le Cafe, Rue de bussy. A 24 hour cafe towards the north.
Le Cafe on Rock Beach Road (Rue de Busse)
- The Healing Hands Center, . Classes in Ancient Massage / Thai Massage. Five-day course, ten-day course and one-month professional course, runs every month and recognized by THAI (Thai Healing Alliance International) worldwide and Natural Health Practitioners of Canada (NHPC).
- Scuba Diving with Temple Adventures http://www.templeadventures.com/ in the oceans of Pondicherry. Diving is daily out in the sea from Pondy Harbour. Centre is located in the centre of town for easy access to divers. 1 day experience can be provided for non-divers and swimmers, and PADI courses offered for divers, or anyone to learn over 4 days, or as many as you like. Great marine life, reefs, fish, and company.
Cooking classes are proposed as well in Sita Cultural CenterSita. This society provides as well cultural and artistic activities such as yoga classes, Dance classes, initiation to Ayurveda, Kolam, Tanjavur paintings.
Pondicherry is known for its wide variety of cuisines ranging from South Indian delicacies like idly and dosa to seafood like fried fish, prawn bajji and parota.
French influence can be seen to some extent in the local food. The best options are still the local delicacies; the excellent seafood. Good French food is available at restaurants around the French part of town.
- Cafe Xtasy, on Mission Street. Offers great pizzas; a place where large pizza is really LARGE; reasonable prices.
- Karai, 100 Feet Road ,Nellithope. Multi-cuisine restaurant, good for Chettinad food. Also, try the French onion soup.
- Surguru, at the corner of Sardar Vallabhai Patel Rd and East coast Road, in the basement of the hotel. Has delicious Indian food, At breakfast time try the delicious poori or paper roast (paper dosai).
- Aristo, Nehru Street. Nice terrace on the roof of the hotel; good French and Indian food.
- Batisto, ECR Road, Next to D Gowda Petrol Bunk, Behind Laloo's puntcher shop.
- Rendezvous, 30, Rue Suffren. Closed on Tuesdays.
- Satsanga, 30, Labourdonnais. Open every day.
- Anjappar, Near Jeeva Theater Signal. Open every day.
- Hot Breads, Nehru St, A pleasant European bakery.
- Indian Delights Veg. Restaurant, 493 Mahatma Gandhi road (opposite a hotel (the clock tower hotel)). Opens at 5 in the morning, delicious variety of typical south indian dishes. Very cheap, popular with locals, not touristy.
- Marine Drive, Periyamudaliyarchavadi, ECR Auroville. (opp to Auro Beach, on ECR, 5.5 km from Pondicherry), ☎ 0413-3199931, . Multi-cuisine restaurant. Open garden and covered area with sea brees. 11AM-11PM.
- Don Giovanni, Mission St. Located at the rooftop of Hotel Corbelli on Mission St, this authentic Italian restaurant opened only in 2009. The chef is from Bologna, and the food is fantastic.
- Pizzeria Trattoria, Auroville Rd (On the way to Auroville). This restaurant serves Pizza and other Italian delights. Seems to be managed by a French person, food was good. Prices are reasonable, but the quantities are smaller.
- Atithi, Kamaraj Road, Shivajinagar (In Hotel Jayaram). All Days. Fantastic South Indian food. Very reasonably priced. Try out the 6 feet family masala dosa ghee roast.
Good branded liquor like Smirnoff, Bacardi and different Scotch Whiskies are very inexpensive as there is no sales tax in Pondicherry. A good store is "Costprice shop" on Lal Bahadur Shastri road.
- Le Club (French Italian Indian vietnamese), 38, Dumas St (Near Park Guest house), ☎ +91 413 2339745 +91 413 4210592. 7 AM--11PM. Wonderfull garden restaurant with high class bar and chill out atmosphere, but slightly overrated and quite expensive.
- Seagulls, (Walk south down to the end of the beach. It's at the end of the first alley on your left.). Nice bar that organizes musical concerts occasionally. They sell imported beer.
- on the beach road abutting the french quarter. enjoy fine dining in a good ambiance with continental and indian cusine, has a nice buffet on weekends. Mimicry artists will sometimes entertain you at your table.
- Choco La, Mission St. Small, cozy, clean chocolate shop on Mission St. Also features chocolate cakes, coffee's, etc. A bit on the expensive side.
- Club Mahindra Puducherry Resorts, Valluvar Medu, NR Nycer Factory, Manapattu Village, Bahour Commune Panchayath, Puducherry - 607402, ☎ 0413- 2616100, . From being a French colony, Puducherry is a charming place that's a great getaway. It's a small place that has a big history. Where else can you taste a French dish served with South Indian chutney
- Continental Hotel. Reasonable little place, quite well located for beach access / bars / wandering potential, and with a rooftop bar. Good selection of cheap beers: 80 rupees for an 8% Tuborg. 450 for a single with fan, 550 for a single with aircon, 1000 on up for doubles.
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram - II, ([email protected]), . Book in advance, if you don't want to be disappointed. The place is staffed by an elitist bunch who will only permit devotees inside the complex. A lot of pretense and little substance. The place is clean. Very strict too. No liquor, smoking, or eating. Park Guest House is on the beach with nice lawns looking upon the sea while Sea Side Guest house is on the beach road and most rooms have a nice sea view. A choice of Continental and Indian breakfast is free in both guest houses. There is also a nice new budget guest house very close to the beach, with a canteen. Rs. 600 to Rs. 1200 per day.
- Fullmoon Guest House ([email protected]), (E Coast Rd), ☎ 9600210094, . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 10.30. The guest house has seven unique AC Double twin bed rooms with attached bathroom. Five out of the seven rooms come with an equipped kitchen (refrigerator, electric stove, kitchen utensils, free wireless internet, free self-service washing machine, hot water, etc.) It is possible also to rent a room or studio apartment for weeks or months. 800 Rs.
- Sri Krishnas Guest House, 29/31 Rangapillai Street (3 mins west of GPO), ☎ 04132334477, 2221818, 2221010. checkout: 24 hrs after checkin. Large, clean hotel in the main shopping area. Rooms with TV with some English channels. French bakery 2 mins walk. Sea 10 mins walk Regular Single 350 AC, non AC 250, Double: 750 AC, 500 Non AC triple:900AC, 750 non AC (extra bed 100 INR).
- Beach Guest House, Pondicherry to chennai ECR,near Auro beach, periyamudaliyarchavady, Auroville (2 mins walkable from Auro beach), ☎ 9944319891. checkin: 24 hours; checkout: 24 hrs after checkin. Large, clean Beach Resort which is situated in walkable distance from beach. All Rooms are with TV with English, Tamil, Hindi, and Kannada channels. Sea 2 mins walk Regular Single 350 AC,Duoble: 750 AC,.
- MangoHill, Old Auroville Road, Bommayapalayam (10km North from Pondicherry), ☎ 041326554 91 /92 /93, . checkin: 14/1; checkout: 24 hrs. 24 rooms(Thai, Luxury and Standard), Spacious and clean hotel located on hills of planted with Mangoes and Cashew trees. Spa swimming pool and multi cuisine restaurant added. 3500.
- Ginger Hotels, . Excellent ambience and very professionally run hotel. Its more of an IT company like environment with atmost hygiene. Has a 24 hrs coffee shop too INR 1799.
- Hotel Corbelli, 170, Mission Street (Near to Casablanca on Mission Street), ☎ 91- 413- 2225301 / 2225302 ([email protected], fax: 91 - 413 - 2225303 / 2348731), . checkin: 24 Hrs; checkout: 24 Hrs after check-in. Nice and clean hotel with all the basic amenities. Centarlised A/C keeps the heat at bay. Morning breakfast buffet is included in the cost price. INR 1350.
- Flora Beach Resort, ECR, ☎ 91- 09443249411 ([email protected]). checkin: 24 Hrs; checkout: 24 Hrs check-in. Nice and clean hotel with all the basic amenities, coconut Leaf cottages, owner is very interesting man, the best part , Sea shore is 100 mts walking only. A/c Rooms available. INR 400-1750.
- Hotel Vijayentra, 108, Kamaraj Road, Shivajinagar (Half a kilometer from Nehru street(main street), 1km from the bus stand.), ☎ 0413-2245316. 24 rooms on two floors, conference facilities, restaurant.
- Raj Residency, 26, Cheran Street, Mullai Nagar ((Opp New Bus Stand)), ☎ +91 413 220 220 1 ([email protected]), . checkout: 24 Hrs after check-in. A guesthouse with suites and rooms which are equipped with flat screen televisions, intercom and mini bars. Every room has an attached bathroom with hot and cold water facility and individually controlled air-conditioning.
- DUNE, Pudhukuppam, Keelputhupet. ((via Pondicherry university)), ☎ (91)- 9364455440 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1:00; checkout: 11:00. Wander around the 35 acre Eco Beach Village and Spa to discover the 50 thematic hidden bungalows and pieces of art spread around the property. Enjoy the private beach, the amazing infinity pool, the tennis court, the daily pottery and yoga classes, even milk the cows in the organic farm, Dune is a beach resort that offers many distractions. To top it all, the Paradise Spa provides Ayurvedic cures, western massages and Watsu. The two restaurants will treat the finest palets, serving healthy gourmet fusion food prepared using organically farmed vegetables. Feel better by shopping for a cause at the Artyzan Vocational Academy by the NGO Children of the World India. The Dune cherishes the spirit "to live in harmony with nature and men". For ages, swamis (Holy Men) from the nearby temples of Mahabalipuram used this scenic beach reserve as a place of pilgrimage and meditation. Tariff INR 5,500/- to 18,250/-.
- Atithi, No.126 S.V. Patel Salai (Near Surguru), ☎ 0413 - 2345000, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. Hotel Atithi is a recently opened luxury hotel in the business center of Pondicherry. Atithi features 60 rooms & suites. 4500.
- Sunway GRT, . Cleanliness and service up to nice USA/European hotel standards. Not located in the center/touristy area of Pondicherry. You must arrange an auto-rickshaw (for approx Rs. 1700) to get to the tourist area by the beach. Nice tasty free buffet breakfast of South Indian foods for just Rs.250. (5250,)
- Zest Big Beach, . One of the best resorts in Pondicherry. This resort is managed by the Mahindra Group. The resort is situated 11 Kms away from Pondicherry on the Cuddalore road. The resort serves great food and is the ideal getaway destination, especially during weekends. (6400,)
- ''Hotel Surguru'', 104, Sardar Vallabhai Patel Salai, ☎ +91(413)222-7290/233-4377/233-9022, . checkin: Upto 6PM; checkout: 24 Hours. Though not located next to or at the Promenade/Beach or near Aurobindo Ashram or in the French Quarter, it is close to all the places and is within 2km. It has its own parking lot, good rooms and suits, 24 hours coffee shop, one of the best South Indian restaurants among their features to top the reasonable rates it offers to its guests. INR 1,300 to 2,000.
- Cozy Cool, Auroville Road, Pondicherry, next to Auroville, ([email protected], fax: 00-000-00-0). checkin: Upto 12PM; checkout: 24 Hours. This is an absolute fantastic cozy cool place which is a beach property. The shacks come with centralised AC and this is the only place that hosts one of the worlds largest swimming pools after the beach.... INR 750 to 1000. (12,25)