The Pokolbin district, in the Lower Hunter Valley in New South Wales, is one of Australia's premier wine regions. Viticulture in the region has a long history, the first vineyards being established in the 1850's.
Pokolbin is something of a cross between a village and a district: it's a collection of vineyards and very small villages (Lovedale, Mount View and Rothbury), it doesn't have a single center that could be thought of as a township.
- Hot-air ballooning. Balloon Aloft 1 800 028 568, Hunter Valley Hot-Air Ballooning (1800 818 191).
- Jazz in the Vines is a popular event held in October, hosted by Tyrrell's Winery.
- A Day on the Green is a concert hosted each year by Bimbadgen Estate.
- Audrey Wilkinson Vineyard DeBeyers Rd, 02 4998 7411. M-F, 9.30am - 5pm. Widely regarded as the first vineyard in the Pokolbin district.
- Bimbadgen Estate McDonalds Rd, Pokolbin, 02 4998 7585.
- Brokenwood Wines 401- 427 McDonalds Road, 02 499 87559, (fax: 02 499 87893). 
- Hermitage Road Cellars at Hunter Resort 02 4998 7777. Daily tours at 9am, 11am & 2pm (booking required).
- McGuigan Cellars McDonalds Rd, 02 4998 7402. The McGuigan's complex houses McGuigan Fine Wines, the Hunter Valley Cheese Company and the Chocolate and Fudge Shop.
- Lindemans Ben Ean McDonalds Rd, 02 4998 7684. Open for tastings M-F 10am - 5pm, closed Christmas Day, Good Friday and New Years Day.
- McWilliams Mount Pleasant Estate Marrowbone Road, 02 4998 7505. Established in 1921, McWilliams is the largest Australian family owned wine company in the country. Open 7 days 10am - 4.30pm. Guided tours $2.20/person.
- Oakvale (Broke Road, Pokolbin, ph 02 4998 7088, fax 02 4998 7077). Often has value for money wines at the cheaper end of the price range. http://www.oakvalewines.com.au
- Pepper Tree Wines Halls Road, 02 4998 7539. The tasting room is surrounded by beautiful grounds and gardens. A good place to follow up wine tasting with a picnic. Open M-F 9am - 5pm, Sa & Su 9.30am - 5pm.
- Pokolbin Estate McDonalds Rd, 02 4998 7524). Open 7 days 10am - 6pm.
- Reg Drayton Wines corner of McDonalds Rd & Pokolbin Mountain Rd, 02 4998 7523. Established 140 years ago, Draytons is family owned and operated.
- Rothbury Estate Broke Road, 02 4998 7363. Open 7 days 9.30am - 4.30 pm.
- Tamburlaine Vineyard McDonald's Rd, 02 4998 7570. 
- Tower Estate Wines Cnr Halls and Broke Rd, 02 4998 7989. Open 7 days 10am - 5 pm.
- Tyrell's Vineyards Broke Road, 02 4993 7000. One of the region's oldest vineyards. Open M-Sa. Winery tours are held at 1.30pm.
- The Mill Restaurant. Tuscany Wine Estate, Cnr Hermatidge Rd & Mistletoe Lane 02 4998 7288 (fax 02 4998 7277) 
- Amanda's On the Edge Restaurant (Amanda's), McDonald's road, Pokolbin NSW 2320, ☎ 02 498 7900, . From what I saw in August 2008, a very popular Restaurant. From the tourist map of the area this seems to be the only restaraurant in this part of the Hunter Valley that is not a Winery too.
Even though they were fully booked for Saturday night, when I'd driven up from Sydney they somehow made space and welcomed me, feeding me well. The service was good too.
Pity about not being able to drink much of the Hunter Valley wine, being a driver.===Splurge===
Bed & Breakfast
- Mercure Grand Hunter Valley , Vintage Drive, off MacDonalds Road, Rothbury NSW 2320, P: +61 2 4998 2222, F: +61 2 4998 2200, E: [email protected] - contemporary one and two-bedroom apartments with gas fireplaces, doonas and fully self-contained. Apartments cost approx $230 - $390 per night.