Playa El Yaque was originally a fishing village and beach on Margarita Island situated on the south side of Island about 3 km from the airport. It has become one of Margarita Island's busiest tourist destinations.
While Spanish is the main language in Venezuela, it is easy to find someone who speaks English, French, German, Italian and even Russian in Playa el Yaque. If you have trouble finding someone, just ask at your hotel or any car rental agency and they should be able to direct you to someone to assist. The way to ask in Spanish is "Necesito alguien que habla...........(insert language you need)."
From the airport take the first road on the left and drive 5.5 km. This puts you at the entrance of Playa el Yaque. There is a police sub-station on your right and in high season on extremely busy days they may have a barricade in the road preventing entry. As a car exits they will let a car proceed in. El Yaque Motion is straight ahead and most of the action is to the left. Proceeding to almost the end of the road there is a large parking lot to the left, if no attendant is present see the agent in Gringo Rent A Car across the street for parking validation. Parking without validation can result in your vehicle being towed, a large fine and tow bill to pay.
Car rentals are available in Playa El Yaque as well as in other parts of the island. Ensure that you thoroughly check the credentials of any rental agencies and ensure that they are licensed, have a readily accessible office and an office contact number. Also ensure that you fully check the vehicle for any pre-existing damage including all lower body panels, the roof, and all window glass, before you sign the contract with any rental provider.
- Gringo Rent A Car, Av Mario Oliveros, El Yaque Paradise Hotel, PB Level, ☎ +58 416 698 4323, US enquiry number +1 813 964 7300, . 7AM-11PM. Kiosk at airport (PMV). Both new or late model cars available. Spanish, English and French language contracts available, multi-lingual staff on site. Free delivery available to the airport, ferry or hotel.
There is beach access all along Av Mario Oliveros (the main road). Watching the wind and kite surfing is an adventure to those relaxing on the beach. The girls like watching the muscles and the guys like watching the skimpy bikini clad girls. It is also a popular family beach due to the fine white sand and shallow water.
It has become popular to pack a cooler with ice, beer, your favorite spirits, spending the day on the beach getting hammered. There is beach service all along the beach where one can rent beach chairs and a sun umbrella for the day. Many of the local bars and restaurants offer you drinks meal delivered to you where you are stationed on the beach. They bring a table with short legs and position it so you don't even have to get up.
- Campello Center Certified Kite and Windsurf School, Hotel Paradice Addition, ☎ +58 295 988-4837. Run by Ricardo Campello, three time Free style World champion. Equipped with the latest JP Neilpryde kit, from beginner to freestyle/wave boards and a variety of sails.
- Estredo Wind Surfing, el Yaque Club, ☎ +58 412 356-7221. Run by Gollito Estredo, four times World champion in Freestyle.
- Ipanema Beach Bar, (behind Hotel Winsurf Paradise), ☎ +58 295 263-9127. 10AM-1AM. Sushi available direcly on the beach.
- Margarita Xtreme Kite Center, ☎ +58 412 359-7030, . Opened in November 2000 and since then teaching thousands of travelers to stand up and ride. Private or group instruction. Weekly trips to Coche. Wakeboarding, kayaking and boogie boards also available.
- Planet Allsports, Windsurf Paradise Hotel, ☎ +58 295-263=8416, . Offers international windsurfing and kitesurfing instruction in 6 countries
- Sky Rider Certified Kite School, Jump & Jibe Hotel, ☎ +58 295 263-8818, . The Skyriders kiteboarding centre is equipped with the latest gear from North Kiteboarding.
If you need cash there is only one ATM/Cash Point in town. It is on Av Mario Oliveros and not well marked. It is directly between Posada La Mar and Gringo Rent A Car. It only dispenses Bolivares and you will be billed at the government exchange rate for non-essential goods (as of September 2011 that rate is 4.3 Bolivares per US Dollar).
- ATTI Restaurant, Calle Principal, Las Colinas, ☎ + 58 295 263-9850, . from 5PM. Known for their "Dragon of El Yaque": pieces of tenderloin steak with fresh vegetables and ginger, flamed in front of you.
- Beach Bar & Restaurant, Av Mario Oliveros (steps from the sea). 10AM -1AM. Beach Bar is a beach bar, restaurant and club where you will be able to get cocktails, eat, enjoy an unforgettable day/night on the beach on original furniture while listening to DJ music of different types.
- Café Local - Thai Food, (on the beach). Thai cuisine, fresh fish, seafood and meat dishes available.
- Canoa, Av Mario Oliveros (end of the road on the beach), ☎ +58 295 264-4695.
- Enrico, Av Mario Oliveros. A pizzeria that serves thin crust pizza, Italian pasta dishes and seafood dishes. For those who like their food hot, ask for Enrico’s specially prepared olive oil.
- Fuerza 6, (behind the basketball court). Fuerza 6 Restaurant in the Center of El Yaque is one of the Villages restaurants with most tradition. The person behind Fuerza 6 restaurant is Senora Gaby, who came to Margarita about 15 years ago as part of a Chilean Windsurf Club and just stayed in El Yaque, a year later opened the Fuerza 6. Serving chicken, fish and typical Venezuelan food, its the walls are covered with Magazine articles and Images of worlds Windsport heroes.
- La Chiva Loca Restaurant, Av Mario Oliveros (on the beach), ☎ +58 412 353-0069, . Closed
- Mare Mare, (next to Hotel Windsurf Paradise), ☎ +58 295 263-5260. Closed
- Mobu's Pizza and Pasta, (Located behind California Hotel). Tables are under a churuatta, with lively background music playing.
- Rosa Venti da Roccio, (at California Hotel). Run by Italians, open every evening for dinner. The varied menu offers pastas, pizza meat, fish and chicken. The breakfast buffet includes; fruit juices, coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate, a variety of breads, butter, jams, cereals, fresh fruits, cheese, ham, cakes, eggs to order, omelettes and pancakes.
- Sharks, Av Mario Oliveros (beach front, opposite el Yaque club). Breakfast buffet hours are 8AM-10:30AM.. open all day for the happy hour and an early dinner. It is known for cocktails, fresh fish, a local specialty called tostones, Mexican night, Venezuelan night and Hamburger night where you get as many burgers as you can shovel in.
- Yaque Paradise Beach Restaurent, Av Mario Oliveros (beach front). Located behind el Yaque Paradice Hotel on the beach, serving seafood, beef and chicken prepared local style.
- California Hotel, (1/2 block from beach), ☎ +58 295 263-9494, . 24 rooms with king size bed, 22 rooms with 2 queen size beds and 6 rooms designed especially for families. All rooms have private bathrooms with hot water, A/C, refrigerator, satelliteTV, safe and telephone. Located just a half a block from the beach, some rooms have a sea view.
- Casa Perla, (100 m from the beach), ☎ +58 414 793 3143, . Breakfast available on the top-floor terrace with a view of the Caribbean sea. Hungarian, English and Spanish spoken at the hotel. 8 rooms for 2-3-4 persons. Each room has a bathroom with hot water, A/C, beds with orthopedic mattresses, refrigerator and a safe. Free internet access including wifi on the top-floor terrace.
- Casa Viva, Av Mario Oliveros (beach front, next to Sharks restaurant), .
- El Yaque Beach Hotel, Av Mario Oliveros (beach front), ☎ +58 295 263-8441, . Rooms with sea view and a choice between standard and deluxe rooms and 1 and 2 Bedroom apartments. All are with A/C, private bathroom with hot and cold water, safe, telephone, TV, wifi and refrigerator. The apartments include a fully equipped kitchenette. Includes breakfast buffet.
- El Yaque Club, Av Mario Oliveros (at the end of El Yaque's main street on the left), . All suites have two full baths, living area, fully furnished kitchens, high speed wifi, washer and dryer. The roof top infinity pool has a beach view
- El Yaque Motion, ☎ +58 295 263-9742, . Located at the entrance of el Yaque, opposite the police sub-station. Variety of different rooms, from simple single rooms with bathroom sharing, up to single and double rooms with private bathroom. Fans and A/C, shared kitchen with sea view, airport transfers, internet access, satelliteTV.
- El Yaque Ranch, ☎ +58 414 207-0603, . Apartments designed for tourists, especially kitesurfers & windsurfers. 5 min walk from the main beach and 10 minute ride from the international airport. All have A/C, private bath room and kitchens.
- Hotel ATTI, . 3 minute walk to the beach, 28 rooms in the categories standard and comfort as well as a 2 bedroom apartment, a large swimming pool with deck chairs. Water is heated with solar energy. Each room is equipped with A/C and overhead fans, rattan furniture, mosquito nets, separate bathrooms all have large balconies or terraces, most with a hammock. The comfort rooms are in the new building are larger, with bigger beds, additional rattan chairs and a small table, bigger bathrooms that are equipped with hairdryers.
- Hotel Casa Rita, Final Calle Principal de El Yaque, ☎ +58 295 263-6553, . Breakfast buffet, daily cleaning service, mosquito nets and crib available upon request and at no extra charge, 24 hour reception, beach towels, transfer to and from the airport (at an extra cost), reservations and rental equipment for windsurfing and kitesurfing, free wifi.
- Jump & Jibe Hotel, ☎ +58 295 263-8396. 14 double rooms surrounded by a garden, offering a breakfast buffet including tropical fruits, beverages, cereals, breads, served in the palm garde terrace, free wifi. All rooms have bath, sea view, A/C, hairdryer and TV. Most of the rooms are also with balcony or terrace. Sun beds, beach towels and safe are included.
- Libert Hotel, ☎ +58 295 611-6878, . The rooms face west, so it will allow you to enjoy either a panoramic sea view or a view of the garden and sunset. Each room is approximately 20² m. The 14 suites are divided into double junior suites with a queen size bed and double suites with 2 twin beds. The rooms are equipped with wide terrace, Caribbean hammocks, mini bar, telephone, safe, plasma TV, satelliteTV, hairdryer, A/C, wifi or cable internet.
- Posada La Mar, Av Mario Oliveros, ☎ +58 295 264-5729, . Newly built beach front hotel
- Posada Margarita, Calle Las Flores #3, ☎ +58 295 263-0624, . Single rooms for one or two persons, with private bath with hot water, ceiling fans, A/C, mini fridge, television, safe deposit box and porch with hammock. Double rooms have all the amenities as single rooms but are larger, have one double and one single bed. Triple rooms have all the amenities as the double room but are larger, have one double bed and two single beds that can be configured as bunk beds. One bedroom, one bath apartments, living room with sofa bed that converts into a double bed, the bedroom has one double bed. Apartments have fully equipped kitchens, A/C, satelliteTV, ceiling fans, porches with balconies with ocean and mountain views. All rooms and apartments have wireless Internet access for laptops. Maid service is provided on a daily basis (except Sundays) and linens are changed every two days
- Posada Nora, El Yaque Heights, . Full service ‘Bed and Breakfast’ style inn. Unlimited access to all indoor and outdoor chill out spaces including a 20 m lap pool, breakfast served on the terrace, airport pick-up and drop-off, unlimited wifi, twice weekly house-keeping (including laundry), A/C and ceiling fans in every room, assistance in planning island tours.
- Posada Victoria, ☎ +58 416 899-0069, . Posada at the home and private gallery of famous artist Nino Mora. The new building sits in front of a beach in El Yaque village. There are different size apartments all available for both short and long term rental. Rooftop terrace has a view of the Caribbean sea distant mainland mountains and surfers skimming the ocean in front of you. Internet with wifi available, airport pickup available, A/C with private bathrooms, kitchens, refrigerators.
- Stevie Wonderland Hotel, ☎ +58 414 329-1300, . A guesthouse located on the hills of El Yaque just 5 minutes walking distance from the main beach, overlooking the village and the ocean being surrounded by the National Park of the Marites Lagoon. There are 5 suites, a pool and different "chill-out-areas". Airport transfer and personalized local and national tours, sport activity program, fishing or sailing adventures are available. Can be booked as a vacation-house or for company events with all services included. All suites have private bathroom, fan, A/C, mini bar, satelliteTV with DVD player.
- Surf Paradise, ☎ +58 295 263-8890, . Located directly on the beach, 62 rooms, standard, superior, junior suit and suite. All rooms include A/C, phone, safe cableTV, wifi and are handicapped accessable. Beach chairs available for customers use.
- Tacamajaca Apartments & Guesthouse, Av Mario Oliveros (next to Canoa beach bar and restaurant), ☎ +58 412 358-1185, . Beachfront with a kite spot right out front. Private beach lockers for kite equipment, air and water, daily cleaning (except Sundays), Pickup service, wifi, kite service and VIP lessons on request. Choose between 3 suites: King, 3 bedroom, 4 bathroom beachfront apartment, full kitchen, laundry, satellite 42 in. flat screen TV, DVD, A/C, safe, king size beds, 2 sofa beds in the living room, 2 sun beds on the terrace. Palm, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom beachfront apartment, full kitchen, laundry, flat screen satelliteTV, DVD, sound system, A/C, safe, a king size bed in the main room, a queen size bed in other, sofa bed in the living room, 2 sun beds on the terrace. Wave, beach front studio, full kitchen, bathroom, A/C, safe, flat screen satelliteTV, queen size bed and sofa bed. There are 2 sun beds on the terrace and a teak wood dining furniture set. The separate guesthouse is located 150 meters from the beach offering 8 rooms for 2 or 3 persons.
- WindSurfer's Oasis, ☎ +58 295 263-9375, . 22 rooms, beach front location with terraces overlooking the sea. The swimming pool, has the shape of a sail (after all, it's a windsurfing town), and a jacuzzi. All rooms have A/C.
- Yaque Paradise Hotel. Yaque Paradise is right on the beach offering 28 rooms with bath, balcony, TV, phone and A/C, all with a family atmosphere. You can relax on the huge sun terrace and refreshments are served from the bar. The Club Mistral Windsurfing Center is located on the lower level. The suites are especially suitable for families, are on the top floor with a sea view from over size balcony and have a full kitchen too.
- El Yaque News (online edition), . An online publication devoted solely to Playa el Yaque.