Pilanesberg National Park
The Pilanesberg National Park  (sometimes also called Pilanesberg Game Reserve) is located just a few kilometres from Sun City in South Africa. It is known for its beautiful landscape and is ideal if you are staying near Johannesburg and do not have time to go to the Kruger National Park.
Gate opening times are as follows:
- April-August - Open 6AM, close 6.30PM
- September-March - Open 5AM, close 7PM
Entry is R15 per vehicle and an additional R20 per person.
There are a number of bird hides and picnic spots scattered around the park, where visitors can get out and have a relaxed lunch or just sight-see.
The park is very good for seeing many different animals, including the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, buffallo). There are a number of giraffes, hippopotamus, cheetahs, antelopes and countless birds. Bird watching is excellent with over 300 species recorded. Some are migrants, others permanent inhabitants; some eat carrion or live prey, others eat seeds, fruit or tiny water organisms.
There is a self-guided trail in the Walking Area at Manyane Complex in the east, which offers environmental education whilst enjoying game viewing and bird watching on foot. Also at Manyane is a walk-in aviary with over 80 species of indigenous birds.
- Pilanesberg Safaris and Tours (PilanesbergSafaris.com), ☎ +27 84 500 1773 ([email protected]), . edit
- MoAfrika Pilanesberg Tours (Safaris Pilanesberg), ☎ +27 (0)72 783 9787 ([email protected]), . edit
- Deeprift Ventours (Pilanesberg Day Tour), ☎ +27824764175, . 24 Hours. Safari operator providing open and closed vehicle safaris to Pilanesberg from Johannesburg. edit
Many of the resorts, including Sun City, have good restaurants.
However, nothing is better than enjoying a typical South African barbecue outside under the stars.
Accommodation ranges from upmarket lodges to rustic self-catering, tented camps. The camps in the park are: Kwa Maritane, Tshukudu, Bakubung, Manyane Camp, Bakgatla Camp.
- Kwamaritane, ☎ 0145525100. NIce place to sleep @ edit
- Bakubung, ☎ 0145526000. edit
- Valley View Guest House, 743 Kwena Drive, Mogwase, 0314, North West Province, South Africa, . Great guest house on the edge of the Pilanesberg park. Excellent service and incredible good price. edit
Pilanesberg National Park is in a malaria-free area.
Right near the park is Sun City which has plenty of other recreational activities (water slides, wave pool, gambling, cinema, restaurants).
There is also a Crocodile Farm just outside the entrance to Sun City.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|