Pienza is a city in the Val d'Orcia region of Tuscany, Italy.
Buses run from Montepulciano (8/day 30 minutes) & Montalcino (10/day change to line #114 in Torrenieri, lengthy changing time)
There's no need for public transit in this compact town
- Piazza Pio II A grand & elegant square, surrounded by the city hall, with its bell tower, & the Piccolomini family palace
- Duomo It dominates the Piazza, with a fine interior & beautiful windows
- Palazzo Piccolomini Once home of Pius II & the Piccolomini family, it can be visited with a 30 minute guided tour. €7, open tuesday to sunday 10:00-12:30 & 3:00-6:00, closed monday & in the winter. Telephone: 0578-749-071
- The Diocesan Museum is filled with church paintings from the 12th to 17th centuries, €4.10, open wednesday to monday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00. closed tuesday, open only on weekends in winter, on Corso il Rossellino
- View Terrace To the left of the church is a lane leading to a panorama of the countryside
- The Tourist Information office is just up the street from Piazza Pio II, open monday to saturday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00, closed sunday, you can leave your bags here. Telephone & Fax: 0578-749-905
- Latte di Luna has indoor & outdoor seating
- La Taverna di Re Artu serves bruschetta & a wide variety of wine, open daily 10:30-8:30, on Via della Rosa
- Ristorante dal Falco is a modern place with outdoor & indoor seating, €6 pastas, open saturday to thursday 12:00-3:00 & 7:00-10:00, closed friday, on Piazza Dante Alighieri. Telephone: 0578-749-856, open wednesday to monday 12:30-2:30 & 7:30-9:30, closed tuesday, at Porta al Giglio on Via San Carlo. Telephone: 0578-748-606
- La Buca di Enea serves different Bruchette, delicious pasta, salads and sweet crepes as well as a large variety of traditional Tuscan cheeses and wines. The family business run by Antonio and Gabriella, located at Via della buca 10, is small but the food is of very high quality at moderate prices, reservations are therefore recommended. Open daily from 10:30 to 22:30. Phone: 0578-748 653
- Agriturismo Le Macchie, Monticchiello di Pienza, ☎ 0039.06.68809301, . Farmhouse in Pienza near Siena, Montalcino and Montepulciano, ideal place for your Tuscany vacation rental in Val d'Orcia.
- Agriturismo Terrapille, Azienda Agricola Mangiavacchi, Podere Terrapille, 80 Pienza, ☎ (+39) 0578 748434 +39 338-920-4470 ([email protected], fax: (+39) 0578 748434), . It's right below Pienza on a bluff, 4 rooms & 2 apartments, pool, on route #18 towards Monticchiello. Double w/bathroom €95, Quadruple w/bathroom €160, breakfast €7.50, dinner on request for €25.
- Fonte Martino Guest House & Estate, Via di Valardegna 8, 53045 Montepulciano SI, ☎ +39 3291567491, . Located just a short drive from Pienza, Fonte Martino Guest House & Estate has been lovingly transformed into an exclusive Guest House offering modern elegance and world-class hospitality. Set in the rolling hills of Tuscany, you will experience the most panoramic views of historic Montepulciano and the Valdichiana. Situated in an ideal location, you can either take a picturesque 5-minute drive to the historic city center of Montepulciano or a leisurely stroll through scenic olive groves and vineyards.
- Il Giardino Segreto, Via Condotti, 13, ☎ +39 0578 60452 + 39 338-899-5879 ([email protected]), . Six rooms with a lovely, quiet garden, Double w/bathroom €62, apartment €67
- Oliviera Camere, Via Condotti 4/b, ☎ +39 3774812314 ([email protected]). Six simple rooms, breakfast in room, cash only, owner doesn't speak English. Double w/bathroom €50
Buses leave for Siena (6/day 90 minutes) & Montepulciano (8/day 30 miuntes). Buy bus tickets from bar right buy town gate.
Aside from these towns, the cities of Florence, Pisa, & San Gimignano are great to go to