Pienza is a city in the Val d'Orcia region of Tuscany, Italy.
Buses run from Montepulciano (8/day 30 minutes) & Montalcino (10/day change to line #114 in Torrenieri, lengthy changing time)
There's no need for public transit in this compact town
- Piazza Pio II A grand & elegant square, surrounded by the city hall, with its bell tower, & the Piccolomini family palace
- Duomo It dominates the Piazza, with a fine interior & beautiful windows
- Palazzo Piccolomini Once home of Pius II & the Piccolomini family, it can be visited with a 30 minute guided tour. €3.50, open tuesday to sunday 10:00-12:30 & 3:00-6:00, closed monday & in the winter. Telephone: 0578-749-071
- The Diocesan Museum is filled with church paintings from the 12th to 17th centuries, €4.10, open wednesday to monday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00. closed tuesday, open only on weekends in winter, on Corso il Rossellino
- View Terrace To the left of the church is a lane leading to a panorama of the countryside
- The Tourist Information office is just up the street from Piazza Pio II, open monday to saturday 10:00-1:00 & 3:00-7:00, closed sunday, you can leave your bags here. Telephone & Fax: 0578-749-905
- Latte di Luna has indoor & outdoor seating
- La Taverna di Re Artu serves bruschetta & a wide variety of wine, open daily 10:30-8:30, on Via della Rosa
- Ristorante dal Falco is a modern place with outdoor & indoor seating, €6 pastas, open saturday to thursday 12:00-3:00 & 7:00-10:00, closed friday, on Piazza Dante Alighieri. Telephone: 0578-749-856, open wednesday to monday 12:30-2:30 & 7:30-9:30, closed tuesday, at Porta al Giglio on Via San Carlo. Telephone: 0578-748-606
- Agriturismo Le Macchie, Monticchiello di Pienza, ☎ 0039.06.68809301, . Farmhouse in Pienza near Siena, Montalcino and Montepulciano, ideal place for your Tuscany vacation rental in Val d'Orcia. http://www.lemacchie.it
few miles from Pienza, secluded amongst centuries old cypresses and oak trees,
where nature nestled a little corner of paradise; panoramic swimmingpool with breathtaking views over Val d'Orcia and beyond.
11 nicely decorated rooms and three apartments, all in a very tuscan contest and style. Outside activities: horseriding and tennis courts at 3 Km, walks, hiking, mountain bike, jogging, large gardens, olive trees, fruit trees, cooking courses, wine and cheese tasting, own production of extravirgin olive oil.
restaurant with fresh pasta every day, tuscan and local specialities, own garden vegetables
- Agriturismo Terrapille It's right below Pienza on a bluff, 4 rooms & 2 apartments, pool, on route #18 towards Monticchiello. Double w/bathroom €95, Quadruple w/bathroom €160, breakfast €7.50, dinner on request for €25. Telephone: 0578-748-434 Mobile: 338-920-4470
- Oliviera Camere Six simple rooms, breakfast in room, cash only, owner doesn't speak English. Double w/bathroom €50, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-205 Mobile: 338-952-0459
- Il Giardino Segreto Camere Six rooms with a lovely, quiet garden, Double w/bathroom €62, apartment €67, on Via Condotti. Telephone: 0578-748-539 Mobile: 338-899-5879
Buses leave for Siena (6/day 90 minutes) & Montepulciano (8/day 30 miuntes). Buy bus tickets from bar right buy town gate.
Aside from these towns, the cities of Florence, Pisa, & San Gimignano are great to go to