'''Pavia''' is in [[Pavia (Province)]].
'''Pavia''' is in [[Pavia (Province)]].
| || |
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 16:47, 18 April 2015
Pavia is in Pavia (Province).
Trains leave for Pavia from Milano Centrale roughly every 30 minutes. Tickets can be bought in the Trenitalia ticket office, or alternatively it is possible (and often quicker) to buy tickets and check train times using the Trenitalia self-service ticket machines (most of which have an English language option, along with other major languages). Tickets cost between 3.75 and 8 euros depending on whether you take a slower regional train, or the faster Intercity trains.
It is also possible to take the S13 (Suburbano) train from many smaller stations in Milan. Tickets for S13 line trains can only be bought at the ticket machines in the stations, not at counters. The S13 line leaves the Milano Bovisa station at 55 and 25 minutes past the hour. Service begins at 5.25, and trains stop at 23.25. The S.13 stops at Milano Lancetti (.01 and .31), Milano Porta Garibaldi (.04 and .34), Milano Repubblica (.06 and .36), Milano Porta Venezia (.08 and .08), Milano Dateo (.11 and .41)and Milano Rogoredo (.23 and .53). It reaches Pavia at .21 and .51 every hour.
It is important to remember to validate your ticket before travel. Validating machines can be found on most platforms at Milano Centrale and other stations. Leave 5 minutes to find a working machine, especially at Milano Centrale.
Although trains to Pavia tend to be more regular and quicker, it is possible to take a bus from the Milano Famagosta bus station.
Bus timetables to and from Pavia can be found here.Timetable
Pavia is located on the BicItalia 2 bike trail that is part of the EuroVelo 8 trail. There is also a well marked and maintained bike path from Milan.
- Pizzeria Da Giulio Viale Matteotti 39, +39 0382 303936 - One of the biggest pizzerie in Pavia. The menu is very extensive and includes pasta for anyone sick of pizza. It's a fairly cheap and cheerful place, and happy to take bookings for larger groups.Pizzeria website - Italian only
- Pizzeria Amalfitana Via Digione 2, +39 0382 539054 - Smaller than Da Giulio and often better quality. Very reasonable prices. Pizzeria website - Italian only
- Riviera 45 (Pizzeria Restaurant in Pavia), via riviera n. 45, ☎ +390382 526296, . The Pizzeria Restaurant Riviera 45 is located in Pavia, it is very famous on local market for its pizzas which are realized in fully traditional way. Other dishes (meat and fish) available. Prices are in middle range of local market, free public parking is available 5 meters near the location.
- Hayashi Via M. Bandello 4, +39 0382 4632 33 - If you do get sick of Italian cuisine, Pavia's best sushi restaurant is 10-15 walk from the centre of town and well worth a visit. The eleven euro all you can eat lunch offer is especially reasonable - you simply pick whatever you want from the menu and can re-order as many times as you like (drinks not included). The price increases to 15 euros on a weekend, and 23 on an evening. The waiters can be a little forgetful, but bearing in mind that everything is freshly prepared, it's worth reminding them on occasion. Italian only
- Gelateria Cesare Corso Garibaldi,15,+39 0382 25074 - A small gelateria (an ice cream cafe which also sells light snacks and drinks) which is generally considered the best in Pavia. Opening hours are somewhat chaotic, but the selection and quality makes a visit worthwhile. They also do a good selection of alcohol and ice cream based drinks, such as affogato with whiskey and vodka.
- Loft 10 Piazza Cavagneria 10, +39 0382 538236 - One of the best places in Pavia for aperitivi, the traditional combination of a Spritz (Aperol, prosecco and soda water) and complimentary light snacks. Loft 10 is fairly modern, which might deter anyone looking for a more traditional cafe, but it is spacious and the staff are friendly, and most importantly are happy to leave you to sit around after a coffee. The walls are decorated with prints of famous musicians and authors, providing a physical link to the bookshop next door which, although not a part of Loft 10, lacks a joining wall.
As Pavia is not a main tourist thoroughfare, it can be cheaper to stay in Milan and reach Pavia by train or bus, but there is a limited selection of hotels.
- Hotel Moderno Viale Vittorio Emanuele II, 41, +39 0382 303401
A four star hotel near to the train station, about 10 minutes walk from the town centre.Hotel Moderno website (Italian and English
- Hotel Aurora Viale Vittorio Emanuele II, 25, +39 0382 23664
Hotel Aurora - Italian only
- Hotel Excelsior Piazzale Stazione, 25, +39 0382 28596
Right next to the station. Off-peak singles from around 65 euros, doubles from 86.
website in English and Italian
- Hotel Rosengarten Via Lombroso, 21, +39 0382 526312
Pavia's biggest hotel, located a little further outside the town centre. Prices are much the same as other hotels in the area, around 60-70 for a single room depending on season.
Website in English, Italian, French, German and Spanish
- Locanda Della Stazione viale Vittorio Emanuele II, 14, +39 0382 29321
Cheap option near the station. 30 euro for single with shared bathroom, 70 for a double with bathroom.