The 19th arrondissement of Paris is located in the north of the city. It is very kid- and family-friendly.
The main stop is Porte de la Villette on line 7.
- Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie (City of Science and Industry), 30 avenue Corentin-Cariou (Métro: Porte de la Villette), ☎ +33 1 06 10 77 50. Opened in 1986 and continuously upgraded, this attraction draws over 7 million visitors a year who come to explore the world of science, technology and future possibilities. Includes the Louis Lumière 3D cinema.
- Cité des Enfants, Cite des Sciences et de l'Industrie 30 av Corentin-Cariou, 19th Paris (Within the building of the Cité des Sciences), ☎ 01-40-05-12-12. An interactive science museum for children with the aim of arousing their curiosity, answering the questions they ask and providing quality time for exchanges with parents or teachers.
- Canal de l'Ourcq, 13 Quai de la Loire Bassin de la Villette, Paris, 75019, ☎ +33 (0)1 4239 1500. Built in the 19th century by Napoléon to provide Parisians with drinking water for the city. On sunny days, tourists can cruises along the canal or kayak the length.
- Buttes-Chaumont, Rue Botzaris Paris, 75019. Popular city escape for nature lovers and walkers who can spend hours wandering around this lush green paradise. Biggest, most hilly and least touristy park in Paris, here you still find a real Parisian atmosphere, far from the meddling international crowds of the city's centre. Climb on top of the hill and overlook the north of Paris with the Montmartre hill right in front of you. The park has an almost enchanted feel, with its waterfall, from a natural spring deep underground, stream, lake and it's steep cliff, topped with a 'temple' which can only be reached via a suspension bridge. A true oasis.
- Les 400 Coups, 12 bis rue de la Villette (Métro: Jourdain), . Wed-Sun 10h30am to 6pm. A restaurant for parents and kids, closed to Buttes-Chaumont. Home cooking and organic products.
- Cafezoïde, 92 bis Quai de la Loire (Métro: Crimée), . Wed-Sat 10am to 6pm. A café for kids, the Cafezoïde a fully weekly calendar of events for kids from 2 to 16 years old. An English-language sing-along happens on Thursday afternoons at 4PM.
- Cité de la Musique, 221, Avenue Jean-Jaurès Paris, 75019, ☎ +33 1 4484 4600, . Music musuem that focuses on the culture, the listening and the learning of music. With headsets, visitors can enjoy listening and learning about the history of music.
- Au Boeuf Couronné, 188 av. Jean-Juarès, ☎ +33 1 42 39 44 44. Charming and laidback, this restaurant serves quality food alongside a somewhat old fashioned decor, (think hard leather chairs etc). All portions were incredibly generous and the service was friendly and warm.
- Cafe de la Musique, 213 av. Jean-Jaurès, ☎ +33 1 48 03 15 91. Its varied selection of music is what draws the crowds here en massse, at any given night you're likely to hear soulful jazz tunes, or a hip DJ spinning robotic techno. Under chef Alain Podou's watch, the food here is sophisticated, yet light, think lobster-studded risotto and brochettes of shrimp with spinach. Highly recommended.
- El Molino, 181 av Jean Jaurès, . Incredibly slow service, so be prepared for a wait, but it's well worth it. The food is amazing, Chilean with a little bit of a French twist. Argentinean dishes are also available. About €20 for dinner.
- DRACO, .
- La Cascade, 2, place Armand-Carrel. Quiet bar that serves its beers cold and has an extensive wine list.
- Péniche Antipode. A barge in the Canal d'Ourq hosting magic acts and music.
- Péniche Anako. Another Canal d'Ourq barge, this one specializing in shows celebrating cultures from around the world.
- DRACO, 90, quai de la Loire, ☎ 0142023394, . 25€.
- DRACO, 90 Quai de la Loire, .
- La Rotonde (La Rotonde de la Villete), La Rotonde, Place Stalingrad, 6-8 place de la Bataille, (In between Metros Jaures & Stalingrad in front of the Canal), ☎ 0180483340, . 9am-Midnight. La Rotonde is an all-in-one-stop experience in a historical building dating back to the 18th century. During the week its Brasserie offers a genuine Parisian experience for any budget and has a side café where people often stop by for a coffee and a snack. During the evenings La Rotonde has a couple of relaxed bars (as well as the brasserie!) which offer a wide range of cocktails and cold beers. On the weekend after the restaurant is closed the place is transformed into a club with many well known Parisian acts performing, with a buzzing atmosphere (keep an eye out for the events calendar as a couple of times a month all 3 floors open up for a crazy party!). The building having so many floors is also ideal for parties or meetings with 7 rooms available. The place is a lesser known tourist site but really can provide visitors to Paris with an amazing experience but at a fraction of the price that you would find in other areas of the city Mains 11-22.
- Holiday Inn Express Canal d'Ourq, (métro: Crimée).
- St Christopher’s Inns Paris Hostel, 159 rue de Crimée, ☎ +33 1 40 34 34 40 ([email protected], fax: +33 140 343 440), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. A brand new purpose built hostel in Paris opened in 2008. Located on the Bassin de la Villette. €22.
- Hotel Crimee, 188, rue de Crimée. Close to the Metro subway, the hotel boasts a quick and easy connection to downtown Paris.
Map of the 19th Arrondissement
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!