View of Paraty from the water
Paraty (also spelled Parati)  is a coastal historic town in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It was first settled by the Portuguese in 1667. Its old churches, cobbled streets and nearby forests, waterfalls, islands and emerald-green sea attract lots of tourists interested in mixing cultural tourism and more natural settings.
Paraty grew in the 18th century as a strategically important port for exporting the gold mined in Minas Gerais. When shipments in nearby Rio began to attract the attention and ambition of pirates and privateers from rival European powers, the Portuguese began using Paraty as their safe port for getting their gold to Lisbon. Together with Ouro Preto, the town was part of the Royal Road (Caminho Real or Caminho do Ouro, Gold Road), a route used to export gold in colonial times. It was also an obligatory sleep-over stop for travelers between Rio and São Paulo until the late 1800s, when the inner road was opened. This caused Paraty to be forgotten, stalled in time, away from "progress" and disfiguration and helped it preserve its old city as it was in the past. In the 1970s, it was rediscovered as a popular tourist destination.
Paraty is connected by road to Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo (via road BR-101). Air-conditioned buses leave to go back and forth from Rio to Paraty and Paraty to Rio. Buses to and from Rio depart about nine times a day for R$49.00 The trip takes about four hours. The trip to and from São Paulo takes about six hours and costs about R$37.00. From São Paulo try Reunidas Paulista , from Rio de Janeiro; Costa Verde Transportes 
Paraty can be reached by air from Rio de Janeiro or São Paulo, but only by chartered helicopter or small commercial and private aircraft because it only has a very small airstrip.
Another possibility of transport is to arrive by sea by way of a sailboat or cruise ship from Rio de Janeiro, Angra dos Reis and Ilha Grande.
The historic town is compact and can be covered on foot; cars, save for taxis picking up or dropping passengers, are not allowed into the historic city center. The rough boulders of the old city streets would quickly destroy the shocks of most cars anyway.
Buses to the beautiful village and beaches at Trindade and outlying beaches leave from the Bus Station. Buy tickets onboard approximately R$3 to Trindade.
A typical street in Paraty
- The historic center - cobbled streets, old buildings, churches etc.
- Islands - Ilha dos Meros has the best diving conditions
- Waterfalls - Pedra Branca and Andorinhas
- Puppet theatre - 2 weekly presentations of a famous puppet group
- Casa da Cultura - a cultural center
- Forte Defensor Perpétuo - Perpetual Defender fortress, a 18th-century stronghold built with British cannons to defend the gold against British privateers
- A boat trip through the bay. You can even find your own private beach on one of more than 300 islands. Small boats are available for charter near the river mouth. Negotiate a price before leaving.
- FLIP - This literature festival usually takes place in July. It gathers some of the best national writers and guest international authors. Hotels can get pretty crowded, book well in advance for this period.
- Dance with the locals at bar/clubs in the main square, Lado B da Praça or Dinho's Bar, or in Paraty 33
- Snorkeling in the bay. When you rent a small boat (and hire the driver for the afternoon) you can ask about getting a mask and snorkel. They'll also supply you with fish food. You just jump off in the middle of the bay and float around feeding fish.
- Trekking & Guided Walks the Caminho do Ouro/ Gold Trail. Access located in the Paraty-Cunha road. Lots of trails through the Atlantic Rainforest to tropical beaches, like Praia do Sono. English speaking guides at "http://www.paratyexplorer.com"
- Kayaking in the bay to islands, beaches and mangrove.
- Paraty Explorer, ([email protected]), . Rainforest Hiking and Kayaking in the Bay with English speaking guides with expert local knowledge. Also offers educational Eco-farming in Rainforest tour. Day Trips and Multi-day short breaks and adventures available.
- Shambhala Asian Day Spa, ([email protected]), . A day spa with a stunning view on the bay, at 10 minutes walk from the historical center. The Asian way of getting pampered and looked after…with natural body treatments and traditional massage techniques.
- Walking tour of Paraty Old Town, . Explore the colonial jewel with expert local guides on a walking tour thro the cobbled streets of the Old Town
- Mud Carnival / Bloco da Lama, End of Jabaquara Beach, . Crowds of people go to the end of Jabaquara beach on the Saturday afternoon before Carnival, cover themselves in mud and chant. Sounds crazy but it's a lot of fun.
- Stand Up Paddle (SUP) boarding, . Lessons and tours on flatwater bay in front of Jabaquara beach. Perfect for beginners to learn.
- Cachaça - Paraty is one of the famous producers in Brazil, as in fact a century ago cachaça was known as parati. Dozens of excellent brands are available.
- Ativa Rafting and Adventures (Ativa), Mambucaba River - Serra da Bocaina National Park (43km from Paraty in the way to Angra), ☎ +55 24 9916 0639, . from 9 to 17. White water rafting at Serra da Bocaina National Park, most beatiful rafting river of Brazil, cristal water, pristine forest and lots of fun.
- Paraty & Mediterrani, Praça da Matriz, 6 (in Matriz Square-Historic Center), ☎ +55 (24) 3371.2155, . Fabulous local fresh foods with a touch from Barcelona.
- Porto Entreposto Cultural, Rua do Comercio #14 (Historical center), ☎ +55 24 3371-1058, . 6PM-. Amazing Brazilian/European menu. Good selection of wines. $R25 for a main.
- sereia do mar, Av Praia do Jabaquara 33 (800 metres from the town centre looking out onto one of paratys most beautiful and tranquil beaches), ☎ +55 24 337111930 for delivery and resavations, . Open from 5PM-11PM. With 24 varieties of pizza and over 10 other main dishes this restaurant has a mouthwatering menu to satisfy all tastes not to mention an excellent wine list. With live music on weekends and both helpful and friendly staff a visit to this restaurant is a must. From R$14 for a main course and from R$19 for a large 8 slice pizza.
- Casa do Fogo bistrô (Casa do Fogo Paraty), Rua Comendador José Luiz 390 (Historical center), ☎ +55 24 33713163 for resavations ([email protected]), . Open from 5PM-1AM. Casa do Fogo serves flambées specialities, all flambée with cachaça - seafood, vegetables and fruits, on the menu you also find meat, chicken, vegetarian, pastas and moquecas. From R$18 for a starter to R$120 for a flambée seafood paella for two.
- Merlin o Mago, Rua do Comércio 376 (in historic town center), ☎ 24 3371 2157. Fantastic french restaurant; very small but excellent food and drink. A German head chef settled in Paraty to run a French restaurant, and succeeded marvelously. The seafood is caught mere meters from the restaurant, as fresh as can be!
- Restaurant Grao da Terra, Avenue Roberto Silveira, 328 - Galeria Gibrail, ☎ +55 (24) 3371-8626, . 9am to 9 pm. Fully vegetarian restaurant with daily menus and a wide range of fruit juices and salads. Great ambience and great hosts, Wi-Fi connection availble. 9 USD.
- Cervejaria Caborê, Av. Otávio Gama, 100 (in Caborê, along river Perecé), ☎ +55 24 3371-2248, . mon-fri 5PM-12PM, sat-sun 11AM-12PM. Bar-restaurant of local brewery. Home of the Caborê draft.
The Historic Centre suits visitors wanting to be where the action is. It can however be busy and noisy particularly at night so its worth considering staying outside and walking or cycling in. There are over 200 pousadas in the area.
- The Eco-farm (Organic farmhouse lodging in the rainforest), Rod Rio-Santos km 552 (30 mins from Paraty, then hike through the rainforest), ☎ +55 (24) 9952 4496 ([email protected]), . Family-run organic farm, only accessible by trail through the rainforest. Experience life on the farm, learn about organic farming, natural medicines and rainforest preservation. Private rooms, dorm accommodations or camping options. Recommended by National Geographic in their South American Staylist, 2011.
- Pousada Guarana, Rua: 5, 13 Portal 23970 000 (20min walk from Old Town), ☎ +55 24 3371-6362, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Pousada Guarana is a quiet and tranquil B&B located in a residential neighborhood, 20-minute walk from the city center and away from loud streets. Owned by Brazilian wife and American husband. The inn is full of amazing artistic touches, the rooms are huge and comfy, and the daily poolside breakfast is fantastic. Average year round rate: $60USD Double occupancy. (23°12'47.33S,44°44'9.47W)
- Corumbe Beach Villas (Beachfront villas for rent), Rod Rio-Santos km 179, Praia do Corumbe, (6km from Paraty Old Town), ☎ +55 (24) 9999 8834, . Beautiful and charming Villas with 4 and 6 ensuite bedrooms with private pool and jacuzzi, right on the beach. Stunning views.
- Pousada Bambubamboo, R. Glauber Rocha, ☎ +55-24-3371-8629, . Tranquil award winning pousada in a beautiful riverfront location. Six split level rooms and six standard Garden rooms overlooking landscaped gardens and pool. Sauna, steam room, outdoor hottub and spa with resident masseur. English and Brazilian owners live on the property and provide genuine and generous hospitality. Spacious guest lounge and free wi-fi. All rooms come with silent aircon, coffee machines and original artworks. The buffet breakfast overlooking the river is the perfect start to the day. R$250.
- Eliconial Paraty Pousada, Rua Sete de Setembro, 5 - Jabaquara Beach -, ☎ +552433712486, . checkin: 02:00 pm; checkout: 12:00 am. In a quiet environment 165 ft from Jabaquara Beach in Paraty, the small Eliconial hotel provides charming rooms with balcony and kitchenette. Free Wi-Fi, pool and parking are available. Guests at Eliconial Paraty Pousada can take a dip in the jacuzzi, chill out on the tropical grounds or enjoy a varied breakfast by the swimming pool. For additional relaxation, there is also a spa unit in the hotel. 160 to 230. (-23.20384,-44.723668)
The historical center has plenty of charming hotels and pousadas. Cheaper options can be found at the newer neighborhoods, outside the tourist area. Watch out for the busy periods of FLIP (see Do above), Carnival and New Year's.
- Pousada Arte Urquijo, Rua Dona Geralda, 79 (in Centro Histórico, close to Santa Rita), ☎ ''+55 024'' 33711362, . checkout: noon. One of the coziest and most charming accommodations in the city. You get you own (to keep) slippers to use inside on the clean floors. A/C, safe from $R300 including breakfast.
- Pousada do Cais - R. travessa Santa Rita nº 20, (24) 3371-1200  Located in the Postcard of paraty ,in the historic center. Pousada do cais is a restaured lord house from the XVII century. Made with rich materials, this hotel preserved the colonial achitecture and style. Has the luxous apartment with the best view of the harbor and bay.
- Pousada Porto Imperial, R. Ten. Francisco Antonio s/n, (24) 3371-2323 (fax (24) 3371-2111, ), . Right into the historic center, this hotel is set in a colonial house next to the Matriz church. Many of the air-conditioned rooms are located at the internal patio and garden. R$200-R$340 (check out high/low season prices).
- Misti Chill (BeachFront Hostel), Rua Orlando Carpinelli, 3 - Praia do Pontal (In Praia do Pontal in Town), ☎ +55 24 3371-2545 ([email protected]), . Cool Beachfront Hostel in Twon. Free Pick-Up, Breakfast, all rooms ensuite. Dorms From R$19 - Private Rooms from R$59.
Outside the historical center
- Principe, Av. Roberto Silveira, 289 (One block from the Bus Station), ☎ +55 24 3371-2266 ([email protected], fax: +55 24 3371-2120), . Pousada with rooms around an internal garden. From $R 115.
- Pousada do Corsario, Rua Joao do Prado 26, Bairro da Chácara, Paraty. An excellent pousada at a perfect location, along the canal, near the bus station and near the city centre.
- Pousada Bromelias -  Bungalows, waterfall, natural swimming pool, gastronomy, massages and body treatments, ofuro bath, sauna beside waterfall,tennis.55(24)3371-2791
On the beach
- Sereia do mar, Av. Praia do Jadaquara 33 (800 metres from town centre), ☎ +552433711930 ([email protected]), . Hostel is situated in front of and only ten metres from Jabaquara beech and 800 metres from town centre.The hostel offers an excellent complimentary buffet breakfast internet access pool and ping pong tables along with a wide variety of tours including kayak jeep and boat excursions. The hostel also has a fully stocked bar and an excellent restaurant. Prices from R$25 for dorm room and R$60 for double.
- Misti Chill (Hostel Paraty), Rua Orlando Carpinelli, 3 (Beach Front - Pontal Neighbourhood), ☎ +552433712545 ([email protected]), .  and Pousada - Dorms from US$11 - Cool Atmosphere - free pick-up and Breakfast Te. +55 (0)21 3521-7234 - right on the beach with an amazing view. Dorms from R$19 - Privates From R$79.
- Geko Hostel & Pousada (Paraty Hostel), ([email protected]), . - Geko Hostel is located at Praia Pontal, only 3 minutes away from the historical center of Paraty and also near everything you may need. This hostel in front of the sea has a quiet and relaxed environment where you can enjoy a caipirinha, make friends from all over Brazil and the world, read a book, play the guitar or anything else you may enjoy. +55 (0) 24 3371 2507 | Rua Orlando Carpinelli, 5 | Praia do Pontal.
- Casa do SUP (Paraty Guesthouse), Avenida Jabaquara, 26 (Beach Front - Jabaquara Neighbourhood), ☎ +55243371494 ([email protected]), . Guesthouse located directly in front of Jabaquara beach, perfect location for Stand Up Paddle boarding (SUP). Discounts for board rentals and tours. Prices from R$45 for dorm room and R$120 for double.
If you need additional options of budget accommodations (Bed and Breakfast):
There are plenty of internet cafes just outside the historical centre. You can't avoid seeing one while walking a few blocks along the main street.
- Angra dos Reis
- Trindade - Popular beach in an old village. Buses once per hour at around 45 after.
- Penha from where you can walk to the distillery. Around 30 minutes by bus.
- Ubatuba - just one hour from the city, by car, it is a famous beach town in the state of São Paulo. There you will find more then 90 beaches, nice restaurants and hotels.