Parapat is a small town on the edge of Lake Toba.
From Medan there is a local bus (no air-con) about every hour for 22,000 rupiah (Oct 08) if you pay on the bus. The journey takes 4-6 hours, depending on the traffic condition.
- Paradep Taxi, ☎ +6285225993574 ([email protected]).
- Samosir Transport, Jl. Gaharu No. 90 - Medan, ☎ +6282163766720 ([email protected]). Poor communication skills in English so triple check fares and routes!
- Tobatransporter, ☎ +6285261492668 ([email protected]), . You can chat via whatsapp,viber or LINE with ID : tobatransporter
- Raja Taxi +62 617 366 555
- Take a ferry boat to cross over to Samosir island. Rp 10,000 to Tuktuk, or Tomok is Rp 5,000 at Tiga Raja jetty; they had other jetty in Ajibata with the same price 5,000 IDR/person to Tomok; just take 30 minutes from Tigaraja Jetty/Ajibata jetty to Tomok or Tuktuk. Boats run from Tigaraja Jetty to Tuktuk every hour 08:30-19:00; and to Tomok they had last boat 19:00.
- Water scooters (Rp 150,000 per half hour, with a guide on-board)
- Speed boat rides; Private boat to Tomok or Tuktuk is take charge 700,000 IDR and just take 10 minutes to reach there.
- Self paddle "kiddle ride" boats (40,000Rp per hour)
Welcome to the “River Rafting” Best-3 in The World; Asahan River is a river in North Sumatra which flows from Lake Toba. This river passes Porsea, district Asahan, and ends at Nibung Gulf, the Strait of Malacca. Rivers that have a length of 150 km, also pass through the valleys of the Barisan Mountains.
Asahan River especially around the Tangga village, District Bandar Pulau, has a speed of 120 m / sec with grade IV-V + with an average depth 5meter very challenging, especially whitewater rafting enthusiasts.
River which is the best rivers for whitewater rafting to 3 has four lines with different difficulties.
- b.caro coffe shop, Haranggaol St. 114 (5 minutes from down town, 2 minutes from Tigaraja harbour), ☎ 062541306. The best coffee in this town. 3000 per cup.
- Charlie's Guesthouse - cheap and central. Overlooks the market (a bit noisy especially on Saturday) and is very close to the ferry station. Rooms are about 30,000 rupiah, pretty clean and with shower (2006).
- Niagara Hotel and Resort - One of the better hotel you can get there, though only 2 to 3 stars. Can be crowded with families and Indonesians during peak period (weekends and public holidays).