Paonia  is a town in the Northwestern part of the Rocky Mountains state of Colorado. It is the nearest town to the West Elks American Viticultural Area (AVA), part of Colorado's Wine Country and home to the highest wine vineyards in North America.
For a small town, Paonia is a bastion of progressive media, community activism and liberal thinking. Main Street boasts The High Country News , an internationally award winning environmental newspaper renown for its investigative jourinalism. KVNF (90.9 FM)  is a left-leaning Paonia-based public radio station that broadcasts from Grand Junction to Lake City.
- Aspen-Pitkin County Airport, (also known as Sardy Field) (IATA: ASE) (ICAO: KASE)), . Major carriers to Aspen include United, US Airways, Delta Airlines, and Frontier Airlines. ASE is a small airport for small planes only, and traffic tends to stop in any inclement weather. Flying into Denver Airport and driving up to Aspen is more reliable and often cheaper.
- Montrose Regional Airport  (IATA: MTJ), 2100 Airport Road, Phone: +1=970-249-3203, Fax: +1-970-249-2808 Regional service from Denver. Used most heavily during ski season. Cafe, vending, restrooms, car rentals.
There are also airports in Denver and Grand Junction.
- Denver International Airport , (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN). Commonly referred to as DIA. It is located about 20 miles to the east of downtown. Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines all maintain hubs at the airport in Concourses A, B, and C respectively. Most other major domestic carriers also have service here.
- Grand Junction Regional Airport , (IATA: GJT, ICAO: KGJT), otherwise known as Walker Field, is served by six airlines with nonstop service to Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. Some service is seasonal.
Nestled in the North Fork Valley in Delta County, roads to Paonia from the east and the south are particularly beautiful. Paonia is 70 mi from Glenwood Springs on US 133. If you're in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park or Curecanti National Recreation Area take US 92 north. From Grand Junction take US 50 southeast to US 92 east for a total of about 70 mi.
Amtrak  serves nearby Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction with the California Zephyr , which runs daily between Emeryville (in the San Francisco Bay Area) and Chicago. For more information, see rail travel in the US.
But once at the rail station, you will still have to rent a car.
- Advantage Rent-A-Car, 2828 Walker Field Dr Grand Junction, ☎ +1-970-243-4469, .
- Alamo Rent-A-Car, 2828 Walker Field Dr Grand Junction, ☎ +1-970-243-3097, .
- Avis Rent-A-Car, 2828 Walker Field Dr Grand Junction, ☎ +1-970-244-9170, .
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 176 West 6th St Glenwood Springs, ☎ +1-970-945-8360, .
- Thrifty Car Rental, 175 Storm King Rd Glenwood Springs, ☎ +1-970-928-8173, .
Downtown Paonia is only a few blocks and is easily navigated by foot. For the rest of the area, you will need a car or a bike.
- The Blue Sage, 228 Grand Ave, Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-7243 ([email protected]), . Community-owned performing arts center, with nationally known artists/writers performing. A valley symphony, a valley youth orchestra, various chamber groups plus contemporary music acts play at the center.
- Paradise Theatre, 215 Grand Ave Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-6610 ([email protected]), . Funky independent movie theater dating from the 1920's. offering first and second-run movies, independent and foreign films, live entertainment, music and community events.
- Delta, Montrose, Paonia & Hotchkiss - Follow US 92 west along the Gunnison River. Turn north on US 65 and stop at the wineries along Surface Creek, on the south slope of Grand Mesa , the largest flattop mountain in the world. Or, travel along the North Fork of the Gunnison River on US 92 east out of Delta and then US 133. This will take you to Hotchkiss and Paonia, where you will find yourself in the West Elks AVA.
- Grand Mesa National Scenic and Historic Byway  - Road traversing the world's largest flattop mountain. Begins at Cedaredge Pioneer Town Museum Welcome Center on US 65 off US 92. The Land O'Lakes Visitor Center, Land's End, and Plateau Valley Area offer fishing, hiking, horseback riding, wildlife viewing, photography and amazing views.
- Paonia State Park, ☎ +1-970-921-5721, . 24 hours. Scenery, water-skiing, wildflowers and camping, all in view of the Ragged Mountains
Festivals & Events
- April - Annual Blossom Walk
- May - Annual Sheep Camp Stock Dog Trials
- June - Crawford Pioneer Days - Crawford
- July - Cherry Days
- August- Annual Wine and Dine
- September - Mountain Harvest Festival
- November - Barrel Tasting Thanksgiving Weekend
- Expressions Book Store, 302 2nd St Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-6450.
- Hays Drug Store, 224 Grand Ave Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-4109. Old fashioned, family owned drug store sells sweats, souveniers and t-shirts
- Aspen Leaf Catering and Deli, 201 Grand Ave. Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-3355.
- Flying Fork Cafe & Bakery, Corner 3rd & Main St Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-3203, . Fresh baked artisan breads and pastries. Pasta, grilled muscovy duck, beef tenderloin, daily fresh fish or homemade lasagne and ravioli. Wines from Colorado and Italy.
- Homestead Beef, 11312 3800 Rd Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-4350, . An artisan processing plant serving up fresh meats for cooking, a good stop for picnic provisions for proponents of the local foods movement. Serving up elk, lamb, beef, produce and local specialties. Ready-to-eat entrees such as beef Stroganoff, meatloaf and red chili con carne
- Fiesta Vallarta, 240 Grand Ave Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-4187. Mexican food and a local favorite.
- Louie's, 202 Grand Ave Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-3265. Surfer-themed pizza palace.
- Thomas Waldos, 238 Grand Ave Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-5797.
- 133 Liquor, 427 Samuel Wade Rd Paonia (Turn towards Paonia at the Conoco Gas Station), ☎ +1-970-527-4575. 8a-9p M-S.
- Austin's Restaurant & Bar, 1215 2nd St Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-4599.
- Revolution Brewing, 325 Grand Avenue Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-3304, . Stout, Pale Ale, Porter and Apple-Ale (flavored with local organic apples). A tasting room in a white clapboard farm house with an attractive front porch.
- A Simpler Time, 228 Onarga Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-4999 ([email protected]).
- Bross Hotel, 312 Onarga St Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-6776, . An authentic 100 year old lodging, the Bross first opened in 1906 by Deputy Sheriff W. T. Bross. At the time it was considered "the only really first-class hotel in the county". Homemade quilts on the beds. Ask about the Ghost Room, haunted by the friendly ghost of Mother Bross.
- Chateau Lunatique Vac, 335 Onarga Ave Paonia, ☎ +1-970-527-8238, . Fully furnished two bedroom, 1 bath, shake shingle and log cabin home.
- Fresh & Wyld Farmhouse & Gardens, ☎ +1-970-527-4374 ([email protected]).
- Knight Camp Lodge, ☎ +1-970-872-2822.
- Lamborn B & B, ☎ +1-970-527-8911 ([email protected]), . Detached cottage as well as 3 guest rooms in the main house, each with en suite bath. Country breakfast in the sunny breakfast room, or on the deck.
- Pitkin Mesa B&B, ☎ +1-970-527-7576.
- Suncatcher B&B, ☎ +1-970-527-5350.
- Redwood Arms Motel, ☎ +1-970-527-4148. Free wireless Internet
- Westwood Farms Country Lodge, ☎ +1-970-527-6136 ([email protected]).
- Whistling Acres Guest Ranch, ☎ +1-970-527-4560 or +1-800-346-1420 ([email protected]).
Most Starbucks, hotels and coffee shops throughout the region offer wireless Wi-Fi access. But if you don't have a computer, try the public libraries.
- Paonia Public Library, 140 Grand Ave 81428, ☎ +1-970-527-3470.
- Grand Mesa National Forest  - Grand Mesa, the world's largest flat top mountain.
- Uncompahgre National Forest - Over a million acres comprise some of the most spectacular views.