Pantelleria is an island lying between Sicily, Italy and Tunisia. Although Italian it is proud of its Arab influence and is becoming quite a chic destination. It is striking and hilly, with the countryside dotted with white Dammuso houses. There are no beaches - people swim off the black rocks.
The main centre is Pantelleria Town, along with the much smaller Scauri, Tracino & Kamma and Rekale.
The Piano Ghirlandia, Pantelleria
Daily overnight ferries run from Trapani in Sicily, running more frequently alongside hydrofoils in Summer. See SIREMAR and Ustica Lines.
Planes fly in daily from Palermo and Trapani. See AirONEand Meridiana.
There is quite a good bus service around the island. See Pantelleria Council
An excellent way to see the island is to hire a moped for a few days - it is small enough to do a circuit in 4 hours or so. Beware - there are only two petrol station on the island - both in Pantelleria Town.
- The Specchio di Venere - a lake inside the crater of a former volcano.
- The Sesi - black Neolithic funeral mounds.
- The pretty seaside hamlet of Gadir and it's thermal pools.
- The pretty vineyards in the Piano Ghiraldia at the far (east) end of the island.
- Il Cappero Via Roma. Excellent medium-priced food, very popular with the locals.
- Zabib Porto di Scauri (+39) 0923916617 - Good restaurant, open only for dinner.
- Ristorante Papuscia, Contrada Sopra Portella 46/48, ☎ +39.0923.915463 ([email protected]), .
- Miryam Corso Umberto 1 (+39) 0923 911374. Modern, but functional, overlooking the harbour. Quite cheap out of season.
- Cossyra Cuddie Rosse-Mursia (+39) 0923911154. About 3 km (2 miles) from Pantelleria port, this 3-star hotel has pleasant grounds,a pool, tennis courts and a private beach.