Padstow is small historic fishing village on the north coast of Cornwall, England famous (and perhaps spoilt) for being the residence of T.V celebrity chef Rick Stein. The town over recent years has expanded greatly, become very up market and expensive and even lost its old fashioned fishing village character, due the crowds who come because of the fame it has gained by featuring on television. Do not let this put you off, it is still a beautiful town to visit (although many now describe it as Cornish London).
From the M5 south, turn onto the A30 just after Exeter. There are several options from the A30. The most direct way is to come off at Bodmin (A389) and follow directions through Bodmin and Wadebridge to Padstow. Just after the village of Whitecross turn right through Little Petherick and St Issey (A389). This section of road is narrow in places and is not recommended for wide vehicles. To avoid this narrow road do not turn off after Whitecross and stay on the A39 until Winnard’s Perch roundabout then turn right towards Padstow. Alternatively stay on the A30 until the Indian Queens turning then follow the directions to Padstow (A39).
If you are heading for Port Isaac, Rock, Trebetherick etc follow the directions above to Wadebridge. At the roundabout after Sladesbridge turn left towards Wadebridge town centre, then right at the next mini roundabout. This takes you past the Wadebridge sports hall. Alternatively you can come off the A30 earlier, just after Launceston, and follow the A39 through Camelford towards Wadebridge.
The nearest airport is Newquay international, which has daily flights to London Stansted, London Gatwick and London Luton and less frequent flights to more UK airports. When departing from Newquay Airport be prepared to spend 5 pounds extra tax. (used for the extension of the terminal building). There is an hourly bus connecting you to Newquay and Padstow
Take a train to Bodmin Parkway (you may have to change trains at Plymouth), there are several of these a day. There are bus connections from Bodmin to Padstow. The timetables of these buses are designed to fit around the big trains arriving.
All places in Padstow itself are within walking distance.
- The National Lobster Hatchery, . Located on the south quay, the national lobster hatchery rear lobsters to return back to the sea to relieve the strain from modern pressures.
- Prideaux Place, . An old house located at the top of Padstow.
- Padstow Lifeboat Station,. The station is located just outside of padstow at Trevose head. The lifeboat station is open during the day to the public.
- Padstow Tourist Information Centre, The Red Brick Building, North Quay, Padstow, PL28 8AF (We are in the large building made of red brick on the far side (north side) of the harbour, opposite the Shipwright's pub), ☎ 01841 533449, . Padstow Tourist Information Centre is your one stop shop for all queries about Padstow and the surrounding area. Let us help you plan your trip.
- The Camel trail - Cycle along the Camel trail to Wadebridge.
Padstow has a large number of beaches within the local vicinity:
- St George's Well -
- Harbour Cove/Tregirls -
- Harlyn Bay -
- Booby's Bay -
- Constantine Bay
- Treyarnon Bay
Across the other side of the estuary
- Rock beach
- Daymer Bay
- Walk The South West Coast Path to Stepper Point. Walk the South West Coast Path from Padstow to Stepper Point at the mouth of the Camel Estuary. The path will take you past St Georges Well, to the amazing Tregurls Beach, Harbour Cove and the old lifeboat station at Hawkers Cove. At Stepper Point you can visit the Coastguard Lookout, usually manned by volunteers, welcoming and eager to impart their local knowledge to visitors. The views from Stepper Point are amazing in all directions, so don't forget your camera.
- Padstow TIC, The Red Brick Building, North Quay, Padstow, PL28 8AF, ☎ 01841 533449, . 9-5 Monday to Friday, 10-4 Saturday & Sunday. For maps, books, walking guides, Eden Project tickets
- The South West Coast Path to Stepper Point. Walk the South West Coast Path from Padstow to Stepper Point at the mouth of the Camel Estuary. The path will take you past St Georges Well, to the amazing Tregurls Beach, Harbour Cove and the old lifeboat station at Hawkers Cove. At Stepper Point you can visit the Coastguard Lookout, usually manned by volunteers, welcoming and eager to impart their local knowledge to visitors. The views from Stepper Point are amazing in all directions, so don't forget your camera.
- Roses, 16 Market Place, Padstow, PL28 8AL, ☎ 01841 532577.
- Rascals, 16 Market Place,Padstow, Pl28 8AL, ☎ 01841 532577. 9-30 - 5-00.
- Rick Stein fish and chips on the south quay
- Roses & Rascals, 16 Market Place, Padstow, ☎ 01841 532577. 9-30am -5pm.
- The London Inn - 6, Lanadwell St, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8AN Tel: +44 1841 532554
- The Golden Lion Hotel - Lanadwell Street, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8AN Tel: +44 1841 532797
- The Shipwrights Inn - North Quay, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8AF Tel: +44 1841 532451
- The Old Custom House Hotel - South Quay, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8BL Tel: +44 1841 532359
- The Old Ship Hotel -
- The Harbour Inn - Strand Street, Padstow, Cornwall, PL28 8BC Tel: +44 1841 533148
- Cherry Trees, West Quay, padstow, PL28 8AQ, ☎ 01841 532934.
- Margot's Bistro, 11 Duke Street, Padstow Pl28 8AB, ☎ 01841 533441.
- Number 6, 6 Middle Street, Padstow PL28 8AP, ☎ 01841 532093.
- Rest A While Tea Garden, Hawkers Cove, Padstow (A short walk along the S W Coast Path from Padstow), ☎ 01841 532919, . 10.30am to 4.30pm. The tea garden is at the back of the two hundred year old ‘Coastguard Houses’ at Hawkers Cove, approximately 150m from the slipway at Hawkers Cove beach, enjoying fantastic views across the Doom Bar and mouth of the Camel Estuary, to Polzeath and Daymer Bay. Hot and cold drinks, homemade cakes, quiches, soups and pies, made to order sandwiches, cream teas (with lashings of clotted cream and jam on fluffy and light homemade Cornish butter scones), ice creams and various snacks. Gluten free cakes and bars and homemade Gluten free scones also available. A warm welcome awaits you. under £5.00. (50.561229,-4.949019)
- The Metropole
- The Old Mill House, Little Petherick, Padstow (2 miles from Padstow on the A389), ☎ 01841540388, . checkin: 15.00hrs; checkout: 10.45hrs. 16c converted corn mill situated on Little Petherick creek From £85.00.
Camping and Caravanning
Padstow Touring Park (+44 1841 532061) http://www.padstowtouringpark.co.uk
Padstow Caravan Hire
Sun Haven Valley Holiday Park (+44 1637 860 373) http://www.sunhavenvalley.com
Camping, Touring, Statics, Chalets in Mawgan Porth