Ouray  is a small town in Southwestern Colorado, magnificently situated in the San Juan Mountains and nicknamed "The Switzerland of America" for its scenery and outdoor recreational opportunities.
Ouray is at the northern end of the Million Dollar Highway, a famously scenic stretch of road (US highway 550) through the San Juan Mountains with its southern terminus at Silverton (Colorado) | If you're arriving from Durango, plan to take an hour and a half on the road, which has many tight hairpin turns over high passes and deep valleys and is not for the faint of heart (Million Dollar Highway from Silverton to Ouray). The northern approach on US 550 from Montrose is less dramatic. There is no air service to Ouray, but Montrose (35 miles N)& Durango (72 miles S) has commuter air service linking to Denver and other major cities.
- Box Canyon Falls, CR 361, Ouray, CO, 81427, ☎ (970) 325-7080, . 8AM - 8PM. Box Canyon Falls is a 285 foot waterfall that plummets into a narrow, quartite canyon with walls overhanging the falls by nearly 100 feet. The falls are reached via a short and easy 500-foot hike. $3 adults, $1.50 children (5-12 years), $2.50 seniors (65+).
- The Sandman, 640 Main St, ☎ 970-325-4071. Robert “The Sandman” Stouffer is one of the few practitioners of a type of sand art made by pouring into bottles colored sand that he’s harvested from around the country.
Box Canyon Lodge & Pool. Houses four hot spring "tubs" for registered guests.
Ouray Hot springs Pool. naturally fed large hot springs pool. admission $10 major credit cards accepted.
- Outlaw Restaurant 610 Main St.,(970) 325-4366. Best steak and seafood in the area. The Outlaw provides a Western feel and Western music to complete the experience.
- Ourayle House, 215 Seventh Ave, ☎ 970-903-1824.
- Christmas House Bed and Breakfast Inn, 310 Main Street (35 Miles S. of Montrose, Colorado), ☎ 1.888.325.9627, . checkin: 3 PM; checkout: 10 AM. Five luxury suites with private 2 person jacuzzis, private 2 person steam saunas, private fireplaces, Queen Beds, Private Baths, Sat TV/VCR/DVD, Free Movies, Free USA Long Distance Calls, Coffeemakers, CD Stereos, Microwaves, Refrigerators, Gourmet Menu Breakfasts served at your private table at your chosen time. Romantic getaway honeymoon specials!! $115 to $180.
- The Victorian Inn, Telluride (8750), 401 West Pacific Avenue (Entering town heading East, turn right on Aspen St South towards ski mountain. The Victorian Inn is one block down on right.), ☎ 800-611-9893, [email protected], . checkin: 4 p.m.; checkout: 10 a.m.. Located one block away from Historic Main Street, one block from Free Gondola and Telluride Ski Resort; 5 block radius to all shops, restaurants, parks and festival grounds. Hotel rooms with (1) one or (2) two queen beds 275 sqft - 325 sqft, kitchenettes, a suite and a cozy cottage house. Daily continental breakfast served from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Daily maid service, on-site and off-site parking, FREE WI-FI, Outdoor Hot Tub, Dry Sauna (winter only), bbq pits, bike racks, and friendly and informative staff who can help you with any arrangements. $89-$350 $89-$350 $89-$350. (37.93713,107.814103)
- Spangler House B&B, 520 2nd Street (35 miles South of Montrose;77 miles North of Durango), ☎ 800-468-4096, . checkin: 3:00; checkout: 11:00. Our B&B is located on a quiet street one block from Main Street in the heart of Ouray, within walking distance of most of the shops, galleries and restaurants. We offer one luxurious suite and five charming guest rooms. All are individually and beautifully decorated. Each room features a unique iron bed that takes you back in time to the turn of the century. All rooms have either relaxing glider rockers or wing back chairs, private bath rooms, ceiling fans, satellite TV, free Wi-Fi and in-room coffee or tea. Our breakfast features fresh ground coffee, juice, a bowl of seasonal fruit and home baked muffins or coffeecake to whet your appetite for the hot delicious main dish. The Spangler House’s one-of-a-kind blueberry pancakes hot off the griddle with sizzling maple sausage is a favorite among our guests. Take advantage of our front room, den or sitting room to read, work on a puzzle or just sit back and enjoy the spectacular mountain views. On winter days our pellet stove creates a nice warm atmosphere in the sitting room. Relax on our spacious redwood deck or in the hot tub; both are located through the French doors on the back of the house. $85-$125 winter;$125-$180 summer.