Oudtshoorn is situated in the Western Cape in South Africa and world-known for its ostrich farms and the nearby Cango Caves.
There is no airport in Oudtshoorn. The nearest airports are in George (very small, local flights only), Port Elizabeth (domestic flights only) and Cape Town (domestic and international flights).
The main bus companies serve Oudtshoorn on regular schedules.
It`s a scenic drive on the R62 from Montagu and the trip from George over the Outeniqua pass offers some spectacular views. Worth the drive!
Up until a few years ago there was a regular train service east to Port Elizabeth as well as south to George, Knysna and Cape Town. However, these trains have been stopped and as of early February 2007 there are no scheduled passenger trains to or from Oudtshoorn.
- Cango Caves, ☎ +27 (0)44 272-7410, . The number one caves to visit in South Africa. From Oudtshoorn drive to the north. You will be there after approximately 15 minutes.
- Barons Palace Gaming Centre, ☎ +27 (0)44 279 1727 ([email protected]), . Gaming Machines, Casino Style Pub & Grub.
- Cango Wildlife Ranch, ☎ + 27 (0)44 272-5593 ([email protected]), . Not to be missed. Reptiles and wild cats are bred for conservation and where it is possible you can enter the enclosures and interact with the animals.
- Highgate Ostrich Farm, ☎ +27 (0)44 272-7115, . The biggest and also offers ostrich rides for tourists
- Rock Climbing, (near the campsite about 12km outside of the town in the direction of the Cango Caves). Oudtshoorn has some of the best quality limestome rock climbing in the world.
- Safari Ostrich Farm, ☎ +27 (0)44 272-7311, . Offers a similar experience as at Highgate, but smaller.
As this is the ostrich capital, this is the place to taste everything one can get out of this species. Most of the ostrich (show) farms offer a restaurant or braai facilities.
- The Barons Palace Hotel, Corner High & Hope Street, ☎ +27 (0)44 279-1727 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)44 279-1747), . Reveals to her guests an era of affluence and opulence. The Hotel was Built at the turn of the century by a wealthy Ostrich Baron. Lush drapes, high ceilings, ornate fireplaces and original ostrich plume showcases recreate an era of gracious elegance. Ascending the majestic staircase to the sweeping reception rooms and vast veranda, one imagines the lavish entertaining that took place in celebration of the flourishing ostrich feather industry. The hotel is ideally equipped to host weddings and other special functions.
- De Oude Meul Restaurant, Schoemanshoek (R328, 14km from Oudtshoorn en-route the Cango Caves), ☎ +27 (0)44 272-7308, . 7 days/week. An a la carte rRestaurant, specializing in Ostrich & Venison dishes.
- Karoo Soul Travellers Lodge, 170 Langenhoven Road/ 1 Adderley Street, ☎ +27 (0)44 272 -330, . Art, travel, peace, action, sharing, magic space, highest hill in Oudtshoorn with stunning views. Style, comfort and generosity. From R100pp.
- Straussennest, 46 Lategansvlei, ☎ +27 (0)44 279-1800, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10PM. Enjoy the outdoors with us. You could utilize the beautiful surroundings for long walks and hiking trails. Has rooms in different sizes. All 3 of the rooms are stylishly and comfortably furnished. From R200pps.
- Miles B&B Guest House, 104 Church Street, ☎ +27 (0) 44 272 4311, . checkin: 14h00; checkout: 10h00. Five minutes away from the centre of town, but near the hiking trails in the area. (-33.58713158861917,22.19538688659668)
- The Pearl of Oudtshoorn, Corner Baron von Rheede & van der Riet Streets, ☎ 044 272 8545, . All rooms are equipped with air Conditioner, satellite LCD TV, extra long beds, safety deposit box and private bathroom with hairdryer. Some of its facilities and services are garden buffet and grill, pool, miniature golf, jungle gym, conference facilities, garden, free Wi-Fi, 24-hour front desk and free private parking. Rates start at 600.00 ZAR.
Go to the Garden Route and visit the Tsitsikamma National Park. Cape Town is also not far away (go there via the scenic R62).