Osterwieck is a city in the north of the Harz in Saxony-Anhalt in Germany.
Osterwieck is a historic town in the Harz district, in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. It is situated on the river Ilse, north of Wernigerode and the Harz mountain range.
Population in Osterwieck = 4000 people (estimate)
The settlement was first mentioned about 780 when Charlemagne in course of the Saxon Wars crossed the Oker river and had a church dedicated to Saint Stephen erected at a place then called Salingenstede. This church became a centre of the Christian mission among the pagan Saxons, overseen by Hildegrim of Châlons, and the origin of the later Bishopric of Halberstadt. On April 1, 974 Emperor Otto II granted market and mint rights to Seligenstadt, it is commonly regarded as the date of the town's foundation.
The name Osterwieck was first mentioned in a 1073 letter by Archbishop Liemar of Bremen to Bishop Burchard II of Halberstadt. Destroyed by a blaze in 1511 the town was rebuilt and today features an ensemble of about 400 Fachwerk buildings. The nave of the St. Stephen Church erected in the 16th century is one of the oldest Protestant church buildings, while its Romanesque twin steeples date back to 1100.
Osterwieck - the medieval town of the Reformation on the Romantic Road
Osterwieck and timber - connoisseurs rave about for a long time of this unique historic medieval town. Half of the 376 listed building timber houses built before 1720 - that is the unique - more than a third of them come even from the period until the end of the Thirty Years' War.
In the "creepers," the passage of Stephani churchyard to the market, on blackboards two tours are recommended to provide an opportunity to rejoice in the diversity and ingenuity of what is presented artfully on the facades of the almost 500 year old houses. A diagram explains the concept of half-timbered architecture, language, and shows where elements such as rosettes subjects, blind arcades, bars or cleats leaves can be found.
In particular, recognize but let the Latin and German inscriptions on the floor thresholds and sill boards, which the builders of their homes was important. With great determination they have known early on to Martin Luther and the Reformation. With an abundance of biblical texts, this can be in Osterwieck than in any other city in Saxony-Anhalt empathize. Word for word, we are able to recreate the spirit of the Reformation century.
The tours are also printed on the leaflet Osterwieck that they can get for free at the tourist information center, museum and in several places in the city. A leaflet designed to house the inscription is made in the St. Stephen's Church.
Osterwieck located on the B 82 between Goslar and Halberstadt. By car you can reach via the A395 Osterwieck Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, Bad Harzburg, exit east Vienenburg / Osterwieck or via the B 6n exit Stapelburg / Osterwieck. In addition, we are to achieve the transport links with the B 79 and B 244 of Magdeburg, Quedlinburg, Wernigerode and Schöningen.
You can travel by plane into either
- Hannover International Airport (HAJ), Hannover Airport - Flughafen Hannover-Langenhagen GmbH, Petzelstraße 84, 30855 Langenhagen, ☎ +49(0)511 977-0, . Various hours depending on flight time. (121 miles to Osterwieck)- total time travel - 1hr 25mins Verious prices depending on where you are flying from. Check their website for details.. edit
- Magdeburg-Cochstedt International Airport (CSO), FMC Airport Company Magdeburg / Cochstedt mbH resin Street 1, 39444 Hecklingen, ☎ +49 (0) 39 267 606-444 ([email protected], fax: +49 (0) 39 267 606-248), . Various hours depending on flight time.. (69 miles to Osterweick) - total time travel - 1hr. Various prices depending on where you are flying from. Check their website for details.. edit
- Leipzig/Halle Airport (LEJ), Flughafen Leipzig/Halle GmbH Terminalring 11,04435 Schkeuditz, or 04435 Kursdorf (Leipzig/Halle Airport is directly connected to the motorways A9 (Berlin - Munich) and A14 (Dresden - Magdeburg - Hanover). From the A14 you can reach Leipzig/Halle Airport via a slip road. From the A9 you can either go via the Schkeuditzer Kreuz motorway junction (A9/A14) or - coming from Munich - exit at Großkugel. Furthermore, coming from Leipzig or Halle, you can reach the airport via the B6 trunk road.), ☎ +49 (0) 341 224-1155, . Various hours depending on flight time. (149 miles to Osterwieck) - total time travel - 1hr 49mins. Various prices depending on where you are flying from. Check their website for details.. edit
- Braunschweig Airport (BWE), Braunschweig Airport (BWE), 38108 Braunschweig, ☎ 0531 - 3 54 40-0 (fax: Fax: 0531 - 3 54 40-45), . Various hours depending on flight time. (60 miles to Osterwieck) - total travel time - 45mins. Various prices depending on where you are flying from. Check their website for details.. edit
The nearest railway stations are Vienenburg Brunswick, Halberstadt, Wernigerode and Ilsenburg. The unit community Osterwieck city itself does not have its own railway station.
- Vieneburg Brunswick, Vienenburg - Immenrode, Brunnenweg 2, . The Vienenburg–Goslar railway is a main line between Vienenburg and Goslar on the northern edge of the Harz mountains in Germany. It was opened in 1866 edit
- Halberstadt, Magdeburger Straße 29, 38820 Halberstadt, Germany, ☎ 03941 6783-0, . The Halle–Halberstadt railway is a non-electrified main line in Saxony-Anhalt in central Germany. It is an important link between the conurbation of Halle (Saale) and the northern Harz Foreland. It was opened between 1862 and 1872 in several stages and is operated today by DB Netz. edit
- Wernigerode, Bahnhofsplatz 1, Wernigerode, . edit
Regular bus services to Halberstadt (203, 219), Wernigerode (255) and Ilsenburg (203, 255, 283), as well as Vienenburg (203).
- Ilse-cycle, (Length: approximately 32 km. Difficulty: Easy. Trail Condition: Good roads and little traffic village roads), (fax: ""url="http://www.brockenbiker.de"). From Osterwieck starting to go out of town to the south, cross the bridge and head towards Ilse shows. From the exit there is an accompanying road bike path. In looking at the big bakery, turn right following the main road towards Castle stack. Cross the bridge to the B 6n 100 meters turn right and drive west to the next traffic light. This left the bike path begins to Ilsenburg. Ilsenburg with various rest and sights invites you to rest. From the market in the north, past the post office and gas station, go towards the outskirts. After crossing the bridge Ilse after 100m turn left (as indicated). Then just follow the Ilse partly right and partly left the shore. You can reach Veckenstedt later life water (swimming pool on the way). At the exit you will cross a railway line, turn to the right direction Ilse. Continue the path you can reach Berßel. Links to confirmation by the Ilse you drive around the place, either you can also drive around Berßel for example in the castle or in the Kutscherstübchen take something to himself. You can now reach the tarmac road Berßel look. From here, you turn left and drive about 300 meters. In a left turn, leave the paved road and continue straight on large poplars. On the horizon Osterwieck can already be seen - on your right which runs Ilse. On reaching the village, turn right over the bridge and then straight Ilse in the center and reach back to the starting point. edit
- Round trip over Hesse, and Zilly Dardesheim, (Lenght: 40 km long. Difficulty: Moderate. The starting point is Osterwieck.), (fax: ""url="http://www.osterwieck.de"). The tour lasts approximately 3.5 hours. The route runs right past the forest home. From here a paved path through the stone case. Shortly after leaving the Big Stone case, one has a panoramic view of the town of Hesse and the surrounding area. Now there are another 3 miles to Zilly. A trip to Wasserburg's worth. The castle is a real gem in the northern Harz foreland. Zilly of the tour goes toward Berßel now. After about 2.5 km on the highway is on the left is a concrete path that leads directly into Berßel. Once there, it continues towards Osterwieck. From Schauener Mountain offers a wonderful view over Osterwieck. The route goes straight on, past the monument left on a bike path. Next stop is 3 km away Rohrheim. You drive on the best route through the village towards Dardesheim. Shortly after leaving the village you will reach the viewpoint of the wind farm Druiberg. After a total of 20 kilometers covered Dardeshheim reach the city of "renewable energy".Continue straight ahead, arrived on a small bend, turn to the last house on the right. 300 meters further on you reach a well-developed cycle path to Zilly. For more detailed information please visit the website. edit
- Heimatmuseum Osterwieck/Museum Osterwieck, Osterwieck Markt 1, 38835, ☎ 039421-29441 or Fax 039421-61029, . October to April. Tuesday to Thursday 10:00-12:00 & 13:00-16:00. April to September. Monday to Thursday 10:00-12:00 & 13:00-16:00. Sunday 13:00-16:00.. The museum in the old city hall from 1554 shows prehistoric finds, evidence of urban history (including magnificent wedding disc in 1480, door locks and knockers, fireplace-stove made of Meissen tiles) and a shoemaker's shop and a small armory. It gives an insight into the history of Fachwerkbaues, which has remained in Osterwieck get rich. rarity: Exhibition of Easter Wiecker leather money from 1922/23.. edit
Castles/Buildings of interest
- Burg Zilly/Castle Zilly, Neue Sorge 156,38835 Zilly (13 minutes from Osterwieck), ☎ 039421-793401/039421-793401, . The castle is always accessible to visitors. The main visiting period is June - September from 14:00 to 17.00 .. A beautiful historic Castle in Zilly which offers a lot of history to all of his visitors. Special guided tours are available on request. Tea and Cake is also available for all visitors. See the Website for more details or give them a call. €3 per person. edit
- Heiketalwarte on the Huy, The Observatory is located north of the B 79 between Dardesheim Athenstedt and the level of the turnoff to Zilly. (A small cul leads from the main road 79 between high and Dardesheim Athenstedt to Heiketalwarte. This is equivalent to the highway 87, which leads to Zilly. Shortly after you turn onto the road, you can already see the Heikatalwarte.), ☎ 0160-99150388, . All hours.. The Heiketalwarte is a medieval watchtower and is located on the eastern edge of the Municipality Osterwieck. The legendary tower was renovated by private initiative and is open by appointment. The observation deck offers a magnificent panoramic view of the Harz and its foreland. free. edit
Houses of Worship
- Church of St. Stephen Dardesheim. The center is the church of St. Stephen Dardesheim. She was one of the first churches, which is the foundation of the bishopric of Halberstadt from an old Saxon paganism on the "butter mountain" ("Wodanshill") emerged. Already in 1128 a second church was dedicated. Today's new limestone in neo-Romanesque style church was inaugurated on 16.03.1862. edit
- Stephen Church Zilly, Zilly, 38835 Aue-Fallstein, Germany (12 minute drive from Osterwieck). Stephen Church was built in 1838-1849 in the Classical style. Schinkel, the draft should at least have been present (as in Heudeber and Sargstedt). Free. edit
- Ehemaliges Rittergut mit angrenzendem Park/Former manor with adjacent park, Osterwieck. The so-called "Mansion", a plastered timber-frame building of about 1780, can today, thanks to a change of ownership a few years ago to recognize the glory of the original aristocratic residence and later large farming estate. On the former farm buildings to the extent paid for by the new owners, renovations are done, or it will try first of all the extant, albeit desolate right to receive substance. From the former beauty of the surrounding park, well laid out too soon after 1780, with then and long afterwards, maintained roads, borders, and probably some caves secluded spot, is now hardly anything recognizable. He slept for a long time, probably starting with the task Gutsbetriebes, but particularly from 1990 onwards a blissful slumber. The new owner tried to stop the brutalization namely stop, up to a "Manor Park" is still a long way. If you still want him to pay a visit to discover whether one or another botanical treasure or other, but should even ask the owner for permission. free. edit
- Schlosspark Schauen/Castle Park View, Osterwieck. All hours. Sclosspark Schauen is located in the centre of Osterwieck. This beautiful park is worth a visit with all the family. Free. edit
- Pferdehof Schauen/ Horse Shows, Im Winkel 6 38835 Schauen, ☎ 039 421 61/034 619 217, . .. Horse Shows in Osterwieck. edit
- Windpark-Druiberg, Butterberg 157 38836 Dardesheim, ☎ 039 422/949 591. Mo - Th 07.00 bis 16.00. Fri 07.00 to 15.45. Wind farm Druiberg. Guided tours of the grounds, tours of the wind turbine or a trip on the Solar Trabi are available by appointment.Contact Mr. Rolf Waldeck. edit
- Freibad Hessen (Swimming Pool), Mittelstraße 15 38835 Osterwieck / OT Hessen. Swimming Pool in Osterwieck. edit
- Ingo Zander, 38 835 Deersheim, ☎ 039 421 73 726. Weekends Only. Carriage rides are offered by appointment on weekends . €10 per person. edit
- Hiking: The Big Stone Case (Der Große Fallstein), Osterwieck, . Any time of day.. Analogous to Huy and Hakel is also the case in the stone a ridge Nordharzer foreshore, which is caused by squeezed into the shell height. About 4 km north of the ancient half-timbered town Osterwieck begins this book with forest-covered hills that lay before the reunification of the border between the GDR. West of 287 m above sea level. NN lying big event is the little stone case stone whose geological formation is identical with that of its bigger brother. The Great Stone case is a dedicated nature preserve. Protection objective in particular the preservation of Germany's easternmost outpost subatlantischer beech forests. This book is dominated forest on the floor of Woodruff. But also many other rare plants such as daffodils, pheasant's eye and liverworts are found there. The forest area is crisscrossed with numerous hiking trails. Particularly attractive is a visit from the direction of Osterwieck. From there you can drive up to the hermitage in the case of stone or wood house west to the east. Both are restaurants where you can fortify yourself before or after the walk. And in both restaurants, there is also the key to the nearby Bismarck tower climb. Mention should also still located in this southern slope, extensive cherry orchards, which give a touch of spring, especially in the Mediterranean atmosphere. Free. edit
- Ralf Ballhausen, An der Ilse 1538835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421/74734. Weekends Only. Carriage rides are offered by appointment on weekends .A wagon ride usually starts with 6 people and costs 25 €, incl, Per hour. There are no fixed hours but by appointment only. All participants are insured, regardless of the number of people participating €10 per person. edit
- Freiwillige, Ernst-Thälmann-Straße 34 38835 Osterwieck, Germany, ☎ 039421 72293, . Department Store in Osterwieck. Various prices. edit
- Fallstein-Apotheke, Bahnhofstraße 16 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 69520, . Pharmacy in Osterwieck. Various prices. edit
- Videohalle im Getränkezentrum, Ernst-Thälmann-Str. 27 38835 Osterwieck, . Video & Games Rental Shop. Various prices. edit
- Hans-Joachim Klein, Neukirchenstr. 31 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 0394 2174639, . Shoe shop. Various prices. edit
- Osterwieck Lacke, Ziegeleiweg 3 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 03942 17870, . DIY Shop. Various prices. edit
- Druckluft Krenge, Lüttgenröder Straße 6 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 88930, . Sports Shop. Various prices. edit
- Goldschmiede, Tralle 3 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 29467, . Clothing Shop 'Low Prices, Huge selection'. Various prices. edit
- Bärbel Richter, Mittelstr. 4 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ "039421, . Clothing Shop. edit
- H. Koch Inh. C. Koch/FOSSIL®: Vintage, Mittelstraße 11 38835 Osterwieck, . Clothing Shop. (Vintage Style!). edit
- Helga Isensee, Bahnhofstraße 38835 Osterwieck, . Toy Shop. Great brands, great prices! Large selection at myToys.. edit
- Bistro at Castle View/Bistro zum Schloßblick, Leipzigerstr. 12 38835 Hesse, ☎ 039426 86410. . This cafe has a lot of charater and a good selection of yummy cakes. Why not pop along and try one with a cup of coffee?? edit
- Cafe 1562, Neukirchenstraße 3, 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 68451. Mon, Tue from 14.00. Closed on Wednesdays. Thurs - Sun 14.00 - 01.00. . edit
- Cafe im Grünen/ Cafe in the Green, Berßel Chaussee, 38835 Deersheim, ☎ 039421 72546. . This cafe has a wonderful garden surrounding it. So on a lovely hot sunny day you can sit out in the Garden and enjoy a lovely cream cake. edit
- Cafe/Tagungshaus Zur alten Tischlerei, Dorfstraße 4 38835 Wülperode, ☎ 039421 29489. Monday and Tuesday Closed, Wed - Sun 14:00 - 18.00. great coffee, terrace and orchard. Home-baked cakes. edit
- Kaffee Mitte, Mittelstraße 25 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 01606476 9970. . Beautiful little cafe in Osterwieck with a great selection of goodies! verious. edit
- Erols Grillstube, Teichdamm 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 2440. This Takeaway provides Kebab & Pizza's with lots of yummy falvours and toppings!! edit
- Julianes Imbiss/ June's Snacks, Kapellenstr. 7 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 72379. This takeaway establishment provides food such as, Burgers, pizza and Kebabs. So if you want a quick dinner pop long! edit
- Eik's Corner, Stobentwete 2, 38895 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 77734. Rustic Inn style Pub which serves good pub food. various prices. edit
- Erois Grillstube, Teichdamm 38835 Osterweick, ☎ 039421 2240. Fast foos restaurant which serves pizza and kebab's. edit
- Cafe Brennessel, Hauptstraße 9, 38835 Veltheim, ☎ 039421 863308, . Thursday to Sunday, 14:00 - 18:00 and by appointment. This Cafe offers delicious cakes and freshly brewed coffee. Enjoy the tranquility of the beautifully decorated café, have a chat with friends, watch the flames in the fireplace or sit outside in the garden (if the weather is nice!) with a beer and pretzel roll. edit
- Ratsgarten, Rudolf-Breitscheid-Alle 15, 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 74739. Restaurant with Kegelbahn. edit
- Viet-Ahn, Neukirchenstr 14 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 68706. Tuesday - Friday 10:30 - 15:00hrs & 17:00 - 21:00hrs. Saturday & Sunday 11:00 - 15:00hrs & 17:00 - 21:30hrs.. Asian restaurant in Osterwieck. Great food in a lovely restaurant. edit
- Dorfkrug, Hessener Str. 98 38835 Deersheim, ☎ 0392421 725 33. . Good selection of food. Fast and friendly service! edit
- Am Busbahnhof, Teichdamm 38835 Osterwieck. Cocktail bar in Osterwieck. edit
- Jägerstübchen Inh. Ulrich Jaschinski, Am Warberg 7 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 73278. Bar in Osterwieck. edit
- Diskothek Direkt Joachim Klein, Feldstr. 3 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 72343. Disco/Night Club. edit
- Lindenhof, Stephanikirchhof 5 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 75283. Bar in Osterwieck. edit
- Tagungshaus Zur alten Tischlerei, Dorfstraße 4 38835 Wülperode, ☎ 039421 29489 - Fax: 039421 29490. This hotel also has a little cafe. They serve home baked cakes and coffee. The cafe opening times are: -Monday and Tuesday Closed. Wed - Sun 14:00 - 18.00 clock. Single room with breakfast €40. Double room with breakfast €50. Apartment from €40. edit
- Hafenbar, Im Hagen 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421/74471 ([email protected]). This hotel has a rustic feel to it and provides good rooms and dining facilities. There is a good range of food which includes prok, game, steak, fish etc. . Double room €25.00 P.P / night. Single Room €30.00 P.P. Breakfast from €7 P.P.. edit
- Fallsteinklause. Hotel and Restaurant, Am Fallstein 5, 38835 Osterweick, ☎ 039421 29200, . Open daily from 11:00. Daily freshly baked homemade cakes, coffee, ice-cream. Lots of good food to choose from! There is also a nice play area for children. This hotel has good parking facilities and is wheelchair friendly . Double room €50.00. Single Room €30.00 P.P. Breakfast from €7 P.P.. edit
- Destsches Haus, An der Spülick 1 38835 Schauen, ☎ 039421 69488. For more information please contact Mr. and Mrs. Schuenemann, via the telephone number given above. . edit
- Hotel-Restaurant Waldhaus, Im Fallstein 1 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 6180 ([email protected]), . A hearty breakfast is included in the booking price! The restaurant offers German & Internation fayre. Open from 11.30 - 21.00. Closed on Mondays. Double room €60,00. Single room € 40.00. (.,) edit
- Pension Zum Kirchberg, Familie Montag, Am Langenkamp 27, 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 771 81, . The Hotel has a large terrace with parking available. Holiday apartments are available for booking. The family-run hotel is situated in a large garden with lots of greenery and can inspire a scenic location. The spacious terrace invites you to linger and relax. Twin Room, breakfast included: €60.00. Holiday aparentment without breakfast: €50.00. (.,) edit
- Hotel Brauner Hirsch, Stephanikirchgasse 1-2 38835 Osterwieck, ☎ 039421 7950 or Fax: 039421 79599 ([email protected]), . This hotel offers 24 romantic & comfortable rooms. 3 stars. Beautiful timber framed hotel offering beautiful comfortable rooms. double room €41.50 p.p. Single room €46.50 p.p (Breakfast Included). edit
- Tourist Information Am Markt 10 38835 Osterwieck. For more information please visit the Tourist Information Centre. Or Contact them via email:- [email protected], or telephone them on 039421-793 555 (German Speaking Only).
- Bad Harzburg — Bad Harzburg is a small spa town nestled in the foothills on the northern edge of the Harz. It is named after a former imperial castle, the Harzburg, which used to stand proud on the heights above the town, but is now a ruin with just a few walls and ramparts remaining. The town itself caters largely for residents taking the "cure" as well as tourists - especially ramblers and cyclists - visiting the Harz. As a result, the centre is a pedestrian zone with small shops and timber-framed houses, surrounded by sprawling suburbs - a mix of impressive timber-framed residences and functional modern buildings.(22 Minutes from Osterwieck).
- Braunlage — Braunlage is a town located in the Goslar region of the southern Harz mountains. Records show that Braunlage existed as a small mining community as early as 1250, and expanded slowly over the centuries. It is the main ski resort and cable car to Lower Saxony's highest peak, the Wurmberg. (40 Minutes from Osterwieck).
- Goslar — Goslar is a medieval town in Lower Saxony and serves as a regional hub to the wider Harz area. It lies at the foot of the Harz Mountains (highest elevation 3,744 feet). Goslar is situated some 150 Miles West of Berlin. The nearest cities are Brunswick, Hanover, and Magdeburg.Goslar is much older than Berlin and worth a visit. If you are interested in history, outdoor pursuits (especially hiking), tranquility and nature, then Goslar is the right spot for you. (28 Minutes from Osterwieck).
- Halberstadt — Halberstadt Is a town in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt, located at the northern foothills of the Harz and known as The Gateway to the Harz Mountains it is only a few minutes by car from the mountains. A town of about 50,000 people, travellers are welcomed from afar by the impressive towers of the 1200-year old Bishop`s Seat. The town was severely damaged in World War II, but retains many important historic buildings and much of its ancient townscape. (30 Minutes from Osterwieck).
- Quedlinburg — Quedlinburg, located on the northern boundary of the Harz Mountains National Park, it was once at the centre of the German Empire. Today it is one of Europe's best preserved medieval renaissance towns. It features a rare combination of ancient and modern historical treasures. (40 Minutes from Osterwieck).
- Thale — It is believed that Thale emerged at the beginning of the 10th Century and was first mentioned in 936 in connection with Wendhausen abbey, however the abbey was later destroyed in 1525 due to the Peasant’s war. Records have shown that from 1445 there was a working ironworks which was rebuilt in 1648 and it was partially destroyed during the Thirty Years War, it was completely destroyed in 1670. However it was later rebuilt in a small hammer mill due to the close proximity of the ore deposits and availability of wood, this lasted until 1714. Thale has always had a connection with the iron industry which shows in the number of workers it had, it went from 350 in 1872 to 4,400 in 1905. From 1916 Tale produced steel helmets and during the Second World War Thale had the monopoly on the product.Tourism only started to flourish from the 19th Century onwards this was due to the Hubertus spring which opened in 1836. (45 Minutes from Osterwieck)
- Wernigerode — Described by the German heath poet, Hermann Löns, as the "brightly coloured town by the Harz", Wernigerode is an attractive destination on the Holtemme river, nestling against the northern foothills of the Harz Mountains. Its has an impressive medieval town centre with rows of charming, centuries-old, timber-framed houses and is dominated by a fascinating, fairy tale castle that is open to visitors. Its popularity and charm have led to it becoming a waystop on two major tourist routes: the German Timber-Framed Road and the Orange Route, a German-Dutch holiday road. The town is also a good base for exploring the northern Harz on foot or by mountain bike. (25 Minutes from Osterwieck).