It is 67 kilometres from the main coastal Split-Dubrovnik road (the scenic Adriatic Highway), 227 km from Split and 113 km from Dubrovnik. Alternative from Split is A1 motorway towards Ravče and Ploče (then it is 248 km from Split to Orebić). There is ferry service from Ploče to Trpanj (on Pelješac peninsula), which can be used to shorten car driving from Split (to 136 i.e. 157 km) and enjoy 50 minutes of sailing in beautiful scenery. For timetable and prices of ferry service visit Jadrolinija.
Jadrolinija's (Croatia's national ferry company) Rijeka - Dubrovnik service stops in nearby Korčula (this line also serves Split, Stari Grad (island Hvar) and Mljet). There are also high-speed ferry services to Korčula from Split (stops in Hvar) and Dubrovnik. From Korčula there is a short hop over to Orebić by car ferry, passenger ferry or taxi boat (latter driving from june to september). For timetable and prices for ferry service visit Jadrolinija and for high-speed services Krilo and Gv-line. Information about taxi boats one can get on spot, in ports. Usually they drive all day long. They take only passengers (some take bicycles, too) and have acceptable prices (12 kunas or 1,5 euro per person).
The easiest way to navigate this small town is by foot. The older part of the town straddles the coastline and a very pleasant walk connects the main beach at Trstenica (on the Dubrovnik side of Orebić) to the main ferry terminal.
For a faster moving, the option is to hire bicycle or scuter in one of the tourist agencies.
There are three main daily connections to Korčula: 1) Car ferry (also takes foot passengers), which leaves you at port Dominče, approximately 3-4 kms from Korčula old town - this is more suited to motorists/cyclists. 2) Passenger ferry, which leaves you directly at Korčula old town. 3) Taxi boat (from june to september), which also leaves you in Korčula old town. Prices for passengers are same in all three options (12 kunas or cca 1,5 euro).
There is a local bus service throughout the peninsula with buses to Lovište and Trpanj as well as services to Dubrovnik & Zagreb.
- Franciscan monastery (great panoramic view) - you can drive or hike to the monastery. To get there, follow the Viganj/Loviste road out of Orebic (at the western side of the town) and at the Hotel Villa Julija, take the small road to the right - this is clearly sign-posted. Please be aware that the incline the entire length of this road is steep and careful driving is advised. However, the view from the monastery really is breathtaking. If you are going this far, you should enquire about eating at Panorama (read more in "Eat" section).
- Mount Eliah (Sveti Ilija) 961 m
- Gornja Nakovana
- Donja Nakovana with Nakovana cave
- Old captains' houses
- Drinking fountains
- Maritime museum at promenade.
- Boat excursions
Beside trip to Korčula city (described in section "Get around"), there are numerous different options for boat excursions. Specifically, there are prearranged trips and, on the other side, there are arrangements in which one can hire boat for a half or full day trip or even for hour or two. These arrangements can include sailing around or visiting one or more islands or islets in Korčula archipelago (has 19 of them). Then they can include swimming in the cristal blue sea around islands or in Lumbarda, village on Korčula island with beautiful sandy beaches. If one chooses prearranged excursion, it can be organized without or with food (fish picnics), and if one chooses to arrange his trip by himself, there is option to enjoy meal with nice atmosphere in reastaurant on Stupe island or in one of the restaurants in Lumbarda. For more information on islands and islets of Korčula archipelago visit Škoji For more information about excursions ask in tourist agencies or go to Lučica (Little harbour) and arrange your trip directly with taxi boat drivers.
- Wind surfing in nearby Kučište (Perna) and Viganj
- Wine tasting
For information about cycling possibilities around Orebić see Cycling paths section in Tourist routes Orebić
Hillwalkers can tackle the majestic Mount Ilija and be rewarded with stunning panoramas from its peak. There are numerous marked paths starting in Orebić, Viganj and Kučište. For more information and map see Orebić - Hiking and mountain paths section at Tourist routes Orebić
- Scuba Diving
For information about diving in Orebić area read Diving section in Tourist routes Orebić. In Orebić there is Scuba diving center Adriatic. In Trstenik (25 km from Orebić) there is Diving center S 57. Sites have information about centre, service, locations for diving and prices.
Regional wines, spirits and olive oil.
- Amfora, (at promenade, seaview). edit
- Petica, (In Orebić Harbour). A very nice fast food edit
- Panorama, (nearby Franciscan monastery). This rustic konoba (restaurant) serves up traditional Dalmatian dishes including prsut (ham) and cheeses, large casseroles served "under the bell" (you will need to order these in advance as they need to be cooked for several hours in advance under the embers of a large open fire) and truffle dishes (the pasta dish is a real treat). The view (as the name of the restaurant suggests) is spectacular. edit
Famous Dingač and Postup (red) wine, Travarica (traditional Brandy with herbs)
- Meteor, ☎ ". 07-24. edit
- Best. edit
- X2. 07-24. edit
- Lučica, Franjo Tuđman shore. 08-01. works only in season edit
- Bubamara. 07-24. edit
- Zona. 07-24. edit
- Palomino, Franjo Tuđman shore. edit
Tourism is one of the town's most important industries and there is a plethora of accommodation available. Many locals rent out rooms (sobe) in their homes or full appartments. Most of this accommodation is within a short walking distance of the town's beaches and you will see signs outside accommodation advertising rooms or apartments. Do not be afraid to bargain! There are also many well-equipped camp sites in and around the town which also cater to camper vans. Orebic is also home to a number of hotels including the
- Apartments Helena, A.Tina Ujevića 1, comfortable, 330 ft from next beach
- Hotel Indijan, Škvar 2, 20250 Orebić, ☎ ++ 385 20 714 555 ([email protected], fax: ++ 385 20 714 567), . edit
- Villa Antonio is an imposing guesthouse located in Postup (famous for its red wine) only a 5 minute drive from Orebic. Villa Antonio has exceptional views across the Peljesac Channel to the isalnd of Korcula, as well as stunning views of Mount Ilija. Perched among rows of vines, it also features a large swimming pool (completed in 2009) and a full eveing buffet dinner.
- Apartments Jakov, Keršina 7, ☎ 00385915329638, . Newly renovated, old stone house, two apartments, one for up to four persons and one for two persons. edit
- Hotel Adriatic, Šetalište Kneza Domagoja 8, ☎ +385 20 714 488, . edit
Daytrips to Korčula (15 min.), Hvar, Mljet, Dubrovnik (1.5-2 hrs), Split (3 hrs), Narona/Vid, Mostar or Sarajevo. If you want to find out what Napoleon searched for, or what were the words of Jacques Cousteau when he dived in these waters, you are gonna have to come and check it out.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|
Do you really want to leave?