Oban is a town in the Scottish Highlands. It is the gateway to the isles, shopping and drinking capital of the north west, and home to the excellent whisky of that name. Ferries run from here to Mull, Coll, Tiree and the Outer Hebrides.
(There is also an Oban in New Zealand: a village on Stewart Island.)
Oban Harbour from McCaig's Folly
Sunset at Oban looking towards the islands of Kerrara and Mull
The Oban Tourist Office Argyll Square, 1631 563122, (Fax: +44 (0)1631 564273, [email protected]).
- Alan Warner's . (best known for Morvern Callar - a novel made into a film - and The Man Who Walked) novels tell the story of everyday Oban life, and how better to describe Oban than in the words of the bard himself.
- Caledonian MacBrayne, . The national ferry service. In summer 2006 timetable there are car ferries to Mull (daily 5-8 times per day, takes 45 minutes), Lismore (Mon - Sat 3-4 per day, 50 minutes), Coll and/or Tiree (5 per week, 3-4 hours), Colonsay (5 per week, 2.5 hours), Barra (daily, 5+ hours)and Lochboisdale on South Uist (4 per week, 5+ hours).
- Dunstaffnage Marina, . Marina, boatyard and pub a few miles north of the town.
- The West Highland Line, . Most scenic way to get here from Glasgow.
- Scottish Citylink, . Coaches from Glasgow, via Tyndrum or Inverary. 3 coaches per day in the Winter 2006 timetable - trip takes about 3 hours.
- Dunstaffnage Castle, .
- McCaig’s Tower, .
- Dunollie Castle, . Also known as Dunoille Castle
- Oban Distillery 
- Mull & Iona Island Tours
- War & Peace Exhibition - Museum detailing Oban's role in world wars. Free Admission
- Oban Rare Breeds Farm Park - Small farm featuring rare indigenous animals. £6. Has a petting farm for small children
- Puffin Diving  - Dive centre
- Sea.fari Adventures  - High Speed Boat Rides
- Scottish Sealife Sanctuary  - See Fingal and Sula the Canadian river otters, common and grey seals and many other sea creatures. Around six miles north of Oban.
Fingal and Sula, Canadian river otters
- Light of India - Indian cuisine.
- Waterfront - seafood
- Oban Inn.
- The Barn, .
- Mondo’s Niteclub, .
- O’Donnells Irish Bar.
- Oban Inn .
- Lorne .
- Cellar Bar.
- Harbour Bar.
- Auly's, .
- Kerrera Tea Garden and Bunkhouse, . Not in Oban, but 5 minutes by ferry down the peninsula. On the island sheltering Oban harbour, looking out to Mull.
- Oban Backpackers, . Private hostel, relaxed and fun.
- Oban Youth Hostel, . A SYHA  hostel.
- Self-Catering Late Deals, .
- Aros Ard  a guest house 15 minutes walk from the city centre with a strong focus on environmental sustainability and has won several awards. Beds between £25-28 ppn.
- Oban Bay Hotel -  Rooms from £47 ppn
- Queens Hotel
- The Manor House Hotel