Oban is a town in the Scottish Highlands. It is the gateway to the isles, shopping and drinking capital of the north west, and home to the excellent whisky of that name. Ferries run from here to Mull, Coll, Tiree and the Outer Hebrides.
(There is also an Oban in New Zealand: a village on Stewart Island.)
- Caledonian MacBrayne, . The national ferry service. The summer 2009 timetable there are car ferries to Mull (daily 5-7 times per day, takes 45 minutes), Lismore (Mon - Sat 3-4 per day, 50 minutes), Coll and/or Tiree (5 per week, 3-4 hours), Colonsay (5 per week, 2.5 hours), Barra (daily, 5+ hours)and Lochboisdale on South Uist (4 per week, 5+ hours).
- Dunstaffnage Marina, . Marina, boatyard and pub a few miles north of the town.
- Scottish Citylink, . Coaches from Glasgow, via Tyndrum or Inverary. 3 coaches per day in the Winter 2006 timetable - trip takes about 3 hours.
- McCaig’s Tower, . John Stuart McCaig - "... an eccentric testator....". This tower looks over the Oban bay. It takes about 15 minutes to walk up the hill by one of several signposted routes on roads, or by steps. There are good views of Kerrera and Mull and looking up the Sound of Mull.
- Dunollie Castle, . Also known as Dunoille Castle. Ancient seat of the MacDougalls of Lorn. A small castle situated at the far end of the bay from the station - just walk in and up the hill.
- Dunstaffnage Castle, . A castle about three miles North of Oban (buses leave from outside the station). Open daily in summer 9.30 am to 5.30 pm, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm daily except Thusday and Friday in winter.
- Oban Distillery 
- Mull & Iona Island Tours - Available from Bowmans Tours , Caledonian MacBrayne, Turus Mara  or Gordon Grant Tours 
- War & Peace Exhibition - Museum detailing Oban's role in world wars. Free Admission
- Joy of Scotland Landrover day tours of hidden Argyll... - Standing stones, castles, glens, mountains, lochs, characterful pubs and plenty of time to explore. 
- Puffin Diving  - Dive centre
- Sea.fari Adventures  - High Speed Boat Rides
- Light of India - Indian cuisine.
- Waterfront - seafood, No1 The Pier, Oban, PA34 4LW.
- Lorne Stevenson Street PA34 5NA.
- The Barn, . Cologin, Lerags By Oban, PA34 4SE. 2 miles out of Oban
- Ee-usk, . The red-roofed building on the North Pier. Specialises in seafood. Main courses (evening) from £11.95 to £59 for the Grand Platter (for two). Open 12-3pm and 6-10pm.
Buy fresh seafood from the kiosks on the Railway Pier and eat al fresco.
- Oban Backpackers, . Private hostel, relaxed, fun, clean and cosy. Landrover day tours of 'hidden Argyll' available leaving daily.
- Corran House, small ensuite dorm rooms and private guest rooms, sea-front location.
- Oban Backpackers Plus, . Centrally located, the comfort of a B&B at backpacker prices.
- Oban Youth Hostel, . A SYHA hostel. 4, 6 and 8 bed dormitories housed in a large Victorian building, on the Esplanade. Great sea views. Within easy walking distance of the town centre.
- Aros Ard  a guest house 15 minutes walk from the city centre with a strong focus on environmental sustainability and has won several awards. Beds between £25-28 ppn.
- Kerrera Tea Garden and Bunkhouse, . Not in Oban, but 5 minutes by ferry down the peninsula. On the island sheltering Oban harbour, looking out to Mull.
- Dun Na Mara Guesthouse, Benderloch, Oban, ☎ 01631 720233 ([email protected]), . beautiful Edwardian house by the sea with spectacular views to the Isle of Mull and informal gardens leading to our own beach, 8 miles North of Oban.
- Oban Bay Hotel -  Corran Esplanade, Oban, PA34 5AE, 01631 562051. Rooms from £47 ppn
- Queens Hotel Corran Esplanade, Oban, PA34 5AG, 01631 562505.
- Columba Hotel, The Esplanade, Oban, PA34 5QD, 01631 562183. Rooms generally £50-80 per room. As it is on the North Pier, rooms on three sides have sea views, some rooms at the back can be noisey from the pubs below.
- Head out West on a ferry to Mull amd Iona - the nearest and could be done in a day trip; or for an overnight stay on Coll, Tiree, Barra, South Uist.
- Go back South East towards Glasgow, maybe stopping at Tarbert, Inveraray, Loch Lomond, Helensburgh or Dumbarton.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|