- Nusa Lembongan is a star article! It is a high-quality article complete with maps, photos, and great information.
Nusa Lembongan is a small island off the southeast coast of the main island of Bali. Quickly becoming one of Bali's most popular attractions, this island paradise is a world away from the hassle and hectic pace of South Bali. Neither hawkers nor traffic mar the magnificent scenery; this is a fine place to just put your feet up and relax. Main activities include surfing, diving and snorkeling. The water is some of the clearest you will find anywhere, and a vivid aqua blue in colour.
Nusa Lembongan is approximately 8km² in size and is one of three neighbouring islands, the others being much larger Nusa Penida and tiny Nusa Ceningan (also covered by this article). The three islands are separated from Bali by the Badung Strait. Some visitors may find Nusa Lembongan a little slow after the pace of South Bali.
Many areas around the island are good for diving and snorkeling, with abundant marine life and healthy coral. Surfing can get a bit crowded, but the waves are good. There are several white sand beaches away from the main centres which are virtually never crowded. There is a flourishing and well established seaweed farming industry here, and many visitors find it interesting to learn about this.
Two main beach areas have traditionally attracted visitors.
Southeast Nusa Lembongan with the hills of Nusa Penida in the background
Jungut Batu in the northwest is the bigger of the two, and has myriad hotels and cheap eateries. This is the area which traditionally attracted backpackers and surfers to the island. The white sand beach here is pleasant enough but nothing to get too excited about, and it is a little narrow in places. In more recent times, the hillside to the south of Jungut Batu known as the Bukit (the hill) has been developed and has attracted some higher level hotels and private villas. The views from the Bukit are perhaps second to none on Nusa Lembongan. Sunsets are best viewed along the main Jungut Batu beachfront.
Mushroom Bay to the southwest of Jungut Batu is a quaint, attractive and sheltered bay. It is an especially nice spot after 15:00 when the day trippers have returned to Bali, and it has a great white sandy beach, along with some cosy little water-side restaurants.
Further south, the lesser known beaches either side of the Devil's Tear outcrop, known as Dream Beach, one of the most beautiful in Bali and Sunset Beach (or Sandy Bay), are increasingly drawing more visitors. The coastal landscape in this part of the island is mostly low-lying limestone cliffs, and there are some dramatic cave formations. A beautiful view can be seen from the cliff at the right side of the Dream beach, especially at the sunset.
The north end of the island is fringed by an important mangrove forest, and the eastern side of the island is separated from neighbouring Nusa Ceningan by a shallow estuarine channel.
The main population centre of the island is Lembongan Village in the southern interior, and it is here that you will find the homes of many traditional island families.
Touches of Robinson Crusoe at Dream Beach
The climate of Nusa Lembongan is similar to neighbouring 'mainland' Bali, but it is noticeably drier here, particularly in the period of May to September. If there is a time to avoid, it would be the height of the rainy season in January and February.
The local Lembonganese are Hindu and visitors will notice little or no difference from the prevailing culture on the Bali mainland.
You may be able to catch a cock fight, look out for a crowd of local men! This generates a lot of excitement on this tiny island.
Balinese is the most common language of communication between local residents, with Bahasa Indonesia a distant second. The Balinese spoken here is a distinct dialect, and sharp-eared linguists would certainly notice this. English is widely understood and spoken, often with an Australian accent!
The only realistic way (although you can charter a helicopter) to reach Nusa Lembongan from Bali is by boat. There are several options according to budget and speed. Most of the scheduled fast boat services leave from Sanur Beach at the end of Jalan Hangtuah, and usually involve getting your feet wet at boarding. The exact departure and arrival point on this beach depends on the tide. Other services run from Benoa Harbour, and there are local public boat services to and from Padang Bai and Kusamba in East Bali, but these are not recommended for reasons of safety and comfort. You can go directly to the fast boat office of your choice (usually located near the departure point) to book. The only places to check live seat availability and get immediate confirmed e-tickets online are Gilibookings or the cheaper Gilitickets. Otherwise you can go direct to one of the fast boat company websites to make reservation inquiries which usually takes 24h to get confirmation. On Bali, there are also plenty of local agents selling tickets that you can purchase when there, or you may be able to book with staff from your hotel.
From Sanur Beach
- Mushroom Lembongan Paradise [Daily fast boat service] (include drop off and pick up in Lembongan area), Tickets can be purchased at Jl Hangtuah 78, Sanur in front of Dapur Korea (Sanur Beach), ☎ + 62 361 - 281974, 62 87 861987782 ([email protected]), . Crossing takes 25 - 30 minutes. Motorized with 600 horse power rated under international maritime. Code of Safety :14.00 meter length, 3.00 meter width. Boat Capacity for 45 persons completed with life jacket and Insurance cover. Departs daily from Sanur beach to Mushroom Bay at 09:30, 13:00, 16:30. and departs daily from mushroom bay to Sanur beach at 08:00, 11:00, 15:30. Rp 300.000/person/RETURN. Free for Infant under 5 year old..
- The Marlin Cruises (Include pick up and drop in around South Bali and All Around Lembongan Island), Direct to Capten kadek (Sanur Beach Hotel), ☎ +62 82340228744, ([email protected]), . The Fastest and perfect speed Boat to get to Sanur and Lembongan takes 20-25 minutes.Big boat with three engines, Life Jacket, and safety Transfer. Departs daily from Sanur Beach at 10:00AM, 1:00AM, 4:00PM. Departs daily from Lembongan Island at 08:30AM, 11:30AM, 3:00PM.Special Packages get Snorkeling and Lunch Time on Island ( 150 USD ). Rp 250,000/person (one-way) including hotel transfer.
- BLUE BEACH BOAT / CAHAYA BAGUS, SANUR BEACH HOTEL, ☎ +6285100143000 ([email protected]), . 25 minutes. Departs daily from Sanur beach to Jungutbatu Bay at 8.30AM, 12:30PM, 3.30PM and returning from lembongan at 10.30AM, 2:00PM and 5.00PM. Book in advance as seats may be limited, including Hotel transfers from Sanur, Kuta, Seminyak, Legian, and jimbaran are included when bookings are for a minimum of 2 persons. Other areas have an extra charge. Rp. 200.000 / person ( one way ).
- Sea Horse Lembongan, Mushroom Bay to Sanur, ☎ +62 82340228744 (fax: +623665596401). Lembongan : 8:00AM and 3PM and Sanur : 8.30 PM and 4:30PM. New speed boat with safety equipment, and big boat with three engines, the trip is Lembongan - Sanur transfers. Crossing takes 25-30 min. Rp 200,000 per person one way include drop in Lembongan.
- Ocean Star Express, Sanur to Lembongan, ☎ +62 82340228744 ([email protected], fax: +62 366 5596401), . Lembongan: 3PM and Sanur: 10.AM. Speedboat transfer and cruises with safety equipment, toilet. Larger boat with 3 horses engines. Available to Gili's and Lombok island. Crossing takes 1 hr 30 min+ depending upon weather and operational conditions; Rp 590,000. Rp 250,000 per person one way include pick up and drop in around Bali and Lembongan.
- Public Boat (slow). Departs daily from Sanur beach at 10:30AM in front of the Ananda Hotel or near the Grand Inna Bali Beach Hotel (depending on tide). Official ticket counter is at the end of Hang Tuah street. No same day return facility. The boat departs from Nusa Lembongan at 8:00 AM. The ride across is approximately 90 min. Rp 100,000 per person.
- Perama, . A local transfers-only operator for the budget traveller. Boat departures daily at 10:30AM. The ride across is approximately 90 min., and there is no same day return option. The Sanur office of Perama can be found at Warung Pojok in Jalan Hangtuah. Daily Perama buses depart from here to Ubud, Kuta, the airport, Padang Bai (for Lombok) and Amed. Rp 110,000 per person one way.
- Public Speed Boat, Sanur Beach (in front of Ananda beach hotel), ☎ +62 81338737344 ([email protected]). 25 minutes crossing Badung street. Departs daily from Sanur beach to Jungutbatu Bay at 8:30AM, 9AM,11AM, ,3PM, 4.30PM and returning at 8AM,10:30AM,3.00PM,To Mushroom Bay leaves Sanur at 8:00AM, 9:00AM,11,00, 1PM, 2.30PM, 3.30PM, 4:30PM, and leaves from mushroom Bay at 07AM, 08AM, 9:00AM, 11AM, 1PM, 2.30PM, 3:30PM and 4.30PM. Book in advance as seats may be limited. The price at the ticket counter at the end of Hang Tuah street in Sanur Beach. The price is Rp. 250.000/person/oneway and Rp. 400.000/person/return including Hotel transfers from Sanur, Kuta, Nusa Dua, Seminyak, Legian,Nusa Dua, Ubud, Airport and jimbaran are included when bookings are for a minimum of 2 persons. Other areas such as canggu, uluwatu, padang bay, sidemen, candidasa and Amed have an extra charge RP.150.000/car. Private charters are available and rates are subject to negotiation.
- Rocky Fast Cruises, ☎ +62 361 8012324 ([email protected]), . Reliable and very fast boat from Sanur Beach to Jungut Batu. Tickets can be purchased at the office in Jl Hangtuah, Sanur, on Sanur beach where the boat departs, and in Jungut Batu on Nusa Lembongan. Crossing takes 25-35 min., depending on sea conditions. Departs Sanur 10AM, 12PM, 2PM and 4:30PM. Departs Nusa Lembongan 9AM, 11AM, 1PM and 3:30PM. They do hotel (limited area) & airport pickup/drop offs if you send them a message regarding your personal trip details. One way fare Rp 250,000 and return Rp 450,000 including hotel pick up and drop off.
- Scoot Cruise, ☎ +62 361 285522, . Fast boats from Sanur Beach which take you to Jungut Batu. Hotel transfers are included. Tickets can be bought from the Scoot office next to Dunkin' Donuts in Jalan Hangtuah opposite the Sanur Paradise Plaza Hotel, or on the beach near the departure point. Crossing takes 30-40 min. Departs Sanur 9:30AM, 1:30PM and 4PM. Departs Nusa Lembongan 8:30AM, 11:30AM and 3PM. One way fare US$27 and return US$45, including hotel pick up.
From Serangan Harbour
- Marina Srikandi, ☎ +62 361 729 818 ([email protected]), . Depart from Serangan to Nusa Lembongan at 08.30 AM and from Nusa Lembongan to Serangan at 03.30 PM. One way Rp. 175.000 and return Rp. 350.000. Free shuttle pick up for Bali selected area.
From Benoa Harbour
- Bali Hai Cruises, ☎ +62 361720331 ([email protected]), . "Bali Hai cruises organizes day trips to and from Lembongan island. Choose from a wide range of vessels for you trip to Lembongan such as our high speed catamaran Bali Hai II,our sailing catamaran Aristocat or our superfast Ocean Rafting boat. Experience the pontoon where you can take part in many activities such as: Parasailing, Diving, Snorkling, Submersible sight seeing and a water slide. Go to the beach and experience our truly unique tropical retreat at Hai Tide Beach Resort. For a longer stay Hai Tide Beach Resort provides high quality accommodation and friendly service. Prices start from $60 for evening dinner cruises to $100 for the island Beach Club Cruise. Special children and family rates are provided on the website."'.
- Bounty Cruises, ☎ +62 361 443765, . A standard transfer is available using a high speed catamaran service. The (standard transfer) service departs daily from Benoa Harbour at 9AM and from Nusa Lembongan at 3:15PM. If you have limited time for a visit to the island, an option is to take a one day cruise to the Nusa Lembongan Bounty pontoon. On a twin-hull boat under sail you will reach the island within 90 min. Drinks and snacks are available on board. The trip includes water activities on and near the pontoon; such as banana boat, water slide, kayaking, snorkelling and glass bottom boat rides. You can also take part in a Nusa Lembongan Village tour, visit a seaweed plantation and the 'Underground House'. Fastboat transfer: US$35 one-way and US$70 return. One day cruise is US$95, buffet lunch included.
- Island Explorer Cruises, ☎ +62 361 728 088, . A standard transfer is available by fast boat or by fast catamaran. An alternative is a day cruise by a leisurely sailing yacht or by fast catamaran ("fun ship"). The fast boat (transfer only) departs from Benoa Harbour at 10:30 AM, it returns from Nusa Lembongan at 12:30PM. The yacht (day cruise) departs from Benoa Harbour at 9AM and will be back at about 5PM. Fastboat US$23 one-way and US$40 return (hotel pick up included) or by fast catamaran US$20 one-way and US$35 return (hotel pick up excluded). Price for the day cruise is US$69 by yacht or US$79 by fast catamaran, including hotel pick up, buffet lunch & water sport activities.
- Lembongan Fast Boat, ☎ +62 817-5793-495 ([email protected]), . The fast boat departs at 10:30AM and 3:30PM and from Nusa Lembongan at 9AM and 1:30PM. US$18 one-way and US$35 return with a hotel pick up included.
- WakaSailing, Wakha Hotels and Resorts, ☎ 62 361 48 4085, . A standard transfer is available by catamaran. An alternative is a day cruise by a private leisurely sailing catamaran. The Wakasailing catamaran departs from Benoa Harbour at 08:30, it returns from Nusa Lembongan at 17:30.
From Nusa Penida
Neighbouring Nusa Penida is seldom visited, and almost always from Nusa Lembongan. It is though relatively straightforward to get between the islands.
- Public boats depart daily from Toyapakeh and sometimes Buyuk Harbour, both in northern Nusa Penida. Departure times are a bit of moveable feast. Ask around at the time, but about 06:00 is a fairly reliable slot. They run to either Jungut Batu or the the estuary bank near the suspension bridge on Nusa Lembongan, depending on tide. These can be very over-crowded and a little worrying at times. As a visitor, expect to pay about IDR50,000 each way.
- Charter boats are available, departing from and arriving at the same areas as public boats. Rates vary greatly but expect to pay Rp 300,000-500,000. Please ensure that the full price is absolutely clarified with the operator prior to boarding the boat.
From the Gili Islands and Lombok
Ocean Star Express (see above), ☎ +62 82 34022 8744. Daily speed boat service from Sanur Harbour to Lembongan Island and directly to Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, Gili Air and Lombok. Ocean Star Express is a 4 (outboard) engined fastboat with a transfer time of 1.5h+ in fair weather. Includes pickup & drop off at hotel. IDR550,000 each adult; children under 12 IDR398,000. Daily from Sanur 09:00 to Lembongan Island 10:30 to the Gili islands & Lombok.
Scoot Cruises (see above) operate a daily service from Gili Trawangan and Lombok to Nusa Lembongan. The boat leaves Lombok (Senggigi) at 12:45am, picking up at Gili Trawangan at 13:15, and arrives in Lembongan around 16:00. The service in the opposite direction departs Lembongan daily at 10:30 arriving in Gili Trawangan at 12.45 and Teluk Kode at 13.15. Fares are IDR600,000 each way for adults and IDR450,000 for children under 11.
The cliffs of southwest Nusa Lembongan make for excellent walking
Nusa Lembongan is a nice place to walk, with coastal paths linking nearly all the guest houses, hotels and restaurants. Most walks will take less than two hours. The less developed southwestern area of the island has some spectacular coast paths which provide easy walking, great views back to Bali, and spectacular sunsets. You can cross by foot to the small neighbouring island of Nusa Ceningan via a scenic suspension bridge.
From the end of the beach at Jungut Batu it is a 35min walk along the coast to Mushroom Bay.
Bicycles can be rented at most hotels and guest-houses. Some of the roads are quite well surfaced, but be prepared for some very degraded surfaces in places. This is a great way to see the island at your own pace. Expect to pay about IDR20,000-30,000 per day.
Motorbikes are also widely available for rent, but may be unnecessary given the short distances involved — the island is only about 4km end-to-end - but it is in parts very hilly. Expect to pay IDR50,000-100,000 per day, depending on how busy it is. Local boys are more than happy to transport you on the back of their motorbike for a fee.
There are virtually no cars on Nusa Lembongan, and any business or local resident wishing to bring one to the island needs special permission from the village elders. This will only be granted in exceptional circumstances. Local 4-wheeled transport is available though in the form of basic pick-up trucks which most hotels and restaurants use. These are useful for transport to and from the boat transfer point when you are likely to have heavy bags, but are otherwise not really necessary.
Local boatmen are willing to take you by boat from Jungut Batu to Mushroom Bay. One way should cost about Rp 30,000. A return trip can be negotiated down to IDR50,000.
Crashing waves at Devil's Tear
The attractions here are mostly natural. The beaches and other coastal landscapes are obviously a key draw, as are the sunsets. There are a limited number of man-made attractions, most notably temples and the rickety suspension bridge.
- Paradise Beach is a wonderful beach with a view of Mount Agung, white sand and mangrove trees, located at the end of mangrove beach in jungutbatu village.
- Mushroom Beach is the place where most boats arrive in Nusa Lembongan. A wonderful clean, tranquil white beach ideal for swimming, snorkelling, diving, surfing, eating and sleeping by the beach side in traditional Lumbungs. Rent a scooter here and see the island or relax in one of the beach side resorts and enjoy a massage whilst listening to the sound of the Crystal blue water crashing onto the sand.
- Dream Beach is a wonderful secluded beach with powdery, white sand, located on the south coast is one of the most beautiful in Bali. From the main accommodation areas on the west coast, head southeast towards Lembongan Village where you should turn west, and then look for the signposted small track leading south to Dream Beach. There is a cafe attached to the single resort here, and this makes Dream Beach a great place to spend the whole day doing nothing. Be very careful though about entering the water here as the rips can be fierce. Only the strongest swimmers should consider this and even then, avoid the eastern end of the beach. The cliff at the right side of the beach has some beautiful views, especially at sunset.
- Sandy Bay (also known as Sunset Beach) is adjacent to Devil's Tear. A small but spectacular beach with white sand and crashing waves, located just to the north of Dream Beach, and easiest reached via the same route. The excellent Beach Club at Sandy Bay is located here and this should encourage visitors to spend the day. At low tide a dramatic cave is exposed in the low limestone cliff at the eastern side of the bay. Approach carefully and make sure you are not cut off from the beach by a rising tide. All-in-all, this is a delightful spot which is as laid back as anywhere in the whole of Bali.
- Tamarind Beach is between Playground's surf break and Mushroom Bay. It has Good views back to Bali, and of Mount Agung especially.
Nusa Lembongan is famous for spectacular sunsets
- Beach Club Cruise (lembongan beach club), nusa lembongan, ([email protected]), . cruise to lembongan island aboard bali hai ll and relax on the golden sand in tranquil lembongan bay at the bali hai cruise private beach club. Adult : US $105/Pax,Child ( 4 - 14 Years ) : US $53/Pax.
- Marine Magafauna Foundation, (at Secret Garden Bungalows in Jungut Batu), . MMF is a marine research and education centre set up to collect data on the manta ray populations around Nusa Penida. MMF works with the Lembongan dive shops to gather information about these magnificent creatures and their critical habitats and observe their feeding/mating/migration habits while monitoring their behaviour in order to educate the public, locals, and government about their value to the marine ecosystem and the tourism industry. MMF also provides informational talks every Tuesday and Thursday at 18.30 at The Yoga Shack inside Secret Garden Bungalows. These lectures provide an in depth and entertaining look at the strange and beautiful marine life around the three islands of Nusa Lembongan, Nusa Cenningan, and Nusa Penida.
- Devil's Tear, (found by walking either a few min north from Dream Beach or south from Sunset Beach). A rocky outcrop on the south western coast. Spectacular crashing waves and water plumes.
- Mangrove Forest, (continue north on the only west coast road from Jungut Batu until you reach the mangroves). Northern Nusa Lembongan has an extensive forest of mature mangroves which can be explored in a jukung outrigger boat. Also great for families at high tide as perfect lagoon for kids swimming.
- Puncak Sari Temple, Lembongan Village (just north of Lembongan Village on the main route back to Jungut Batu). The largest and grandest Hindu temple on the island. Good views over the straits back to Bali from this area.
- Seaweed Farms, (make your way to the shoreline anywhere in the southeast quarter of the island and just observe). Seaweed farming takes place in many parts of the island, but the most accessible farms are on the southern side of Lembongan Village. Most of the seaweed grown here is destined for the Asian cosmetics industry.
- Sunsets. One thing not to miss on Nusa Lembongan. The Sunset over Bali is awe-inspiring, and can be viewed from any west facing part of the island, but the beach at Jungut Batu is especially popular. A more rural alternative is to go over the bridge to Nusa Ceningan and view the sunset from one of the west-facing high ridges. Being just a few degrees south of the equator, sunset times do not vary much throughout the year here. Look to be in place between 17:30 and 18:00.
- Suspension Bridge, (go through Lembongan Village heading west, sticking on the main road until you hit the estuarine channel). UPDATE: This bridge collapsed on Oct. 16, 2016 during a religious ceremony, killing several worshippers and small children. Free.
- Scoobydoo Beach. A wonderful secluded beach with powdery, white sand, located on the northwest coast of Nusa Lembongan, near Jungutbatu Village.
View towards Bali from Jungut Batu Hill on Nusa Lembongan
Nusa Ceningan is a smaller island located between Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida, which is easily reached via the yellow suspension bridge on foot or by bicycle/motorbike. There is a notable surf break off Nusa Ceningan which attracts some surfers away from the more crowded breaks on Nusa Lembongan.
The island offers some scenic roads and paths, and the westward views back over Nusa Lembongan to Bali are impressive. Viewing the sunset over Bali from the central Ceningan ridge is very much worth the effort. The estuarine channel between Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan is home to many seaweed farms and pristine mangrove forrests.
Nusa Ceningan has been slowly growing in popularity since 2009. Adventurous travelers cross the yellow bridge in search of new destinations. Several resorts and hotels have open doors in the recent years. From the look out point to the new zipline over the lagoon, this is becoming a fun island to explore and spend a few days.
Activities are very much water-based, with surfing, freediving and scuba diving being especially notable.
Nusa Lembongan was first opened up as a tourist destination by surfers, and it has long been an established part of the Bali surf circuit.
There are three main breaks, all off the top half of the west coast, with another less well known just to the southwest off Nusa Ceningan. Playgrounds, Lacerations and Shipwrecks are all close offshore and reached via an energetic paddle from the beach, or in a more leisurely fashion, by a local boat (perahu) which can be chartered from the nearest beach.
Whilst the breaks usually suit intermediate to experienced surfers given they all break over coral reefs, the aptly named Playgrounds is a little more forgiving and can be enjoyed by beginners and experts alike. All the surf breaks become extremely crowded during the dry season
Although surfable all year round, waves are best when winds are in the southeast quarter, normally from April to September/October.
There is a thriving surf scene in Jungut Batu. When compared to its tiny population, Nusa Lembongan has produced a remarkable number of international competition-quality surfers. Any keen surfer will certainly not be short of company here.
- Monkey Surfing Surf School, Jungut Batu (Near to the public boat office on the beach), ☎ +62 821 4614 7683 ([email protected]), . The first surf school to open on Nusa Lembongan. Certified instructors and lifeguards. They teach in small group for beginner as well as intermediate guiding and also private lessons. Lessons include all the gears and boat to the surf spot. Surf boards and SUP for hire. Surf lessons are available in English and French
- Newbro Surfing School (Wayan Lena), Jungut Batu (Near the beach close to public boat office), ☎ +62 81 337 346 056 ([email protected]), . Friendly local surf school that provides the whole package: surfboards, boat, photography and instructors that have been surfing for over 20 years. Professional staff that speak good English and provide great lessons ranging from beginner level to advanced. They arrange lessons to small groups or one on one. They never take too large groups like many other schools do, so you will have a safe and good time while learning. (-8.674579,115.447917)
Oceanic sunfish in the waters off Nusa Lembongan
Diving is of excellent quality in the crystal clear waters around the island. This is why most dive shops on Bali offer trips to the area. A number of reputable dive shops are also present on the island. Make sure to dive with a licensed dive shop with experience.
For more experienced divers, the most interesting sites are off neighbouring Nusa Penida. There are some challenging drift dives here, and dive operators will visit certain sites only when the sea conditions are safe. There are plenty of options for easier flat reef and wall dives as well. Marine highlights include large manta rays all year round, spectacular, massive oceanic sunfish (mola-mola) in season (July-October), white-tipped reef sharks, nurse sharks and the odd hammerhead. Whale sharks are far from regular, but the odd migrant is seen. Last but certainly not least, four species of sea turtle can be found here. All operators offer scheduled trips to the prime dive sites around all three islands.
Prices vary little from shop to shop. Course fees run from about US$79 for a half day Discover Scuba introduction, to US$499 for PADI Open Water certification. A fun dive will cost approximately US$50 including all equipment, with discounts offered for multiple dives. Dive shops have variable opening hours according to seasonal demand. Night dives are widely offered and offer a fantastic underwater experience.
- Tamarind Divers, Tamarind beach (Located on the center of Tamarind Beach, in Villa Wayan, they have one office in the main road in Mushroom Beach), ([email protected]). Local owned Tamarind Divers offer the best experience for divers, as they are local guides they know the best option each day. Daily dive trips, PADI Courses, Manta Ray trips, Mola Mola awareness course, Coral Reef Aware, introduction divers, snorkeling, small groups $.
- Bali Hai Diving Adventures, Mushroom beach (Located on the main road in Mushroom Beach), ☎ +62 821 4709 94 87 ([email protected]), . Australian owned Bali Hai Diving Adventures is one of the most established 5 star PADI Dive Centres in Bali and Nusa Lembongan and has over 20+ years diving experience with a 100% safety record. Daily dive trips, PADI Crouses, Manta Ray trips, introduction divers, snorkeling or come and do a training dive in the biggest training pool on Lembongan. $.
- Bali Diving Academy, Jungut Batu (within Bungalow #7), ☎ +62 366 24302 ([email protected]), . A PADI 5* Resort established in Lembongan in 1991, offering the full range of Padi courses in multiple languages, including English, French, German, Italian, Indonesian. Up to 4 departures per day to the region's best dive sites, keeps the group sizes small and all dives are guided by experienced PADI professionals. Night dives are also available. Divemaster/diver ratio 1:4.
- Big Fish Diving, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 813 5313 6861 ([email protected]), . A PADI and SSI dive resort based at the Secret Garden Bungalows offering daily diving, Scuba diving courses in multiple languages and manta/mola specials. Fast and comfortable fully equipped dive boat, onsite swimming pool and Yoga Shack. Small and friendly. MMF also based here offering twice weekly talks on the local Marine environment and Manta Ray research. Active members of the Lembongan Marine Association.
- Blue Corner Dive, Jungut Batu (on the beach at the north-west corner of Lembongan Island)), ☎ +62 877 61377718 or 082341308480 ([email protected]), . Beach-front PADI eco-resort (PADI 5-Star IDC Resort #22557), owned by a marine biologist. Specialises in guiding small dive groups around the Nusa Penida Marine Protected Area. Naturalist and scientific diving courses. They also conduct ongoing coral reef monitoring at several sites around Nusa Penida and Lembongan. Beginner to professional dive training. Dive training pool, experienced dive guides, international instructional team, and member of the Lembongan Marine Association. (8°39’59”S,115°25’30”E)
- Ceningan Divers, Ceningan Resort, Nusa Ceningan (Located 500m on the left side of the yellow bridge on Nusa Ceningan), ☎ +62 82145855934 ([email protected]), . 7am to 10pm. This PADI 5 Star Dive Resort conducts daily dive trips and PADI courses of all level at nearby world-class dive sites. Dive with Manta Ray, Mola Mola or GoPRO Divemaster Intersnhips. Owned by an award-winning team of international dive instructors, they follow the highest safety standards. They are the only dive operator on Nusa Ceningan. $. (-8.6942366,115.4501922)
- Drift Divers, a.k.a. D2, Jungut Batu beach (Only a 3 to 5 minutes walk on the beach, left-side, depending of which speed-boat company drops you in Nusa Lembongan), ☎ +62 81 338 626057 , +62 081 589 10377 ([email protected]), . Open daily from 7:30am to 18:00pm. Since 1995, laid back and small, owned by locals. This dive shop offers dive trips to spot manta-rays, mola-molas and sea-turtles, as well as PADI Courses, Introduction divers and snorkeling tours, all on a daily basis. They also rent surfboards, and paddling boards. $.
- Indo Divers Lembongan, Mushroom (80m from Mushroom Bay & direction to Tamarind Bay at the corner), ☎ +62 82340228744 ([email protected]), . 7:30am - 8:00pm. Small Padi Dive School with Experienced Divemasters and Instructors in Mushroom Bay offering the great Range of Padi Courses in English, German, Dutch and French. All dives guided by experienced Padi Dive Professional. Small Groups guarantee pure dive fun. All of Divers will get Pick up at Hotel around Lembongan.
- Legend Diving Lembongan, Jungut Batu (Main road), ☎ +62 812 3902 0028 ([email protected]), . Padi Dive Center S-25289 offering daily diving trips to Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida marine protected area. Personalized service with small divers groups adapted for Manta rays and Mola Mola dives. Full range of Padi Courses in multi languages from beginner to professional divemaster internships. Snorkeling and private tours available. Transportation to/from Bali mainland or Gili Islands can be arranged. (-8.666778,115.450639)
- Lembongan Dive Adventures, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 819 36287232 ([email protected]), . A locally-owned dive resort catering to small groups, PADI courses from open water through to divemaster in several languages, taught by international instructors, using the resort training pool.
- Lembongan Dive Center, Jungut Batu (on the main beach beside Scooby Doo Bar, Restaurant and Bungalows), ☎ Office +6282145352666 & suka +62 82144156602 ([email protected]), . Locally owned Premier PADI dive resort #S-22362 with local guides experienced in diving the waters around Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembongan. Small groups preferred. Individual service with a range of PADI courses from Discover Scuba Diving to Divemaster. Snorkeling trips and transport can also be arranged to and from Bali & the Gili Islands.
- Lembongan Discovery Dive, Jungutbatu Village (on the main road Jungutbatu village front Warung Made), ☎ Office +6282145056999 ([email protected]), . Locally owned with local guides experienced in diving the waters around Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembongan. Small groups preferred. Individual service with a range of PADI courses from Discover Scuba Diving to Divemaster. Snorkeling trips and transport can also be arranged to and from Bali & the Gili Islands.
- Planet Nomadas Dive & Surf Resort ☎ 082237286446 or 0361 270314 located in Jalan Jungut Batu,you can see when you are on the way to Mangrove forest,this place provides several activities you can do while staying in Lembongan such as Diving, Surfing, Yoga and classes of those.Nice accommodation facing Mount Agung,really close to the beach,has own restaurant and bar
- Siren Diving Lembongan (Lembongan Dive School), Lembongan Village (On the main road in Lembongan Village next to the Watersport Shop), ☎ +62 812 3937 7269 or +62 813 5326 4318 ([email protected]), . Small and personal PADI 5* Dive Center ( #25906), owned by an Indonesia, a Brit and an Aussie. Combining Indonesia hospitality with western safety standards. Specializes in providing a complete dive experience around the islands of Lembongan, Ceningan and Penida. Training from beginner to professional dive training. International instructional team, and member of the Lembongan Marine Association.
- Two Fish Divers, Jungut Batu/Villa Jepun (behind World Diving opposite Big Fish), ☎ +62 812 3924 1560 ([email protected]), . 7AM-7PM. PADI 5 Star IDC Centre. Daily dive trips to the dive sites around the islands of Nusa Lembongan, Ceningan and Nusa Penida. Day trip to Tlamben ship wreck, Candidasa and Padang Bay. Diving in small groups of up to 4 divers per divemaster. 75 minutes dives. 2 Speed boats. Full range of PADI courses from beginners through instructors.
- World Diving, Jungut Batu (at Pondok Baruna), ☎ +62 812 390 0686 ([email protected]), . The island's first full PADI 5 Star dive centre. Two dive trips go out each morning - this dive center has the only traditional Jukung boat on the island which is equipped with first aid, oxygen, an on board bathroom, sun deck and food and drink is also provided. All courses are offered from Discover Scuba through to Assistant Instructor including a PADI Manta Ray specialty course actually written by World Diving. World Diving have a purpose built dive training pool, 2 speedboats, one large jukung boat, 2 classrooms and provide full equipment hire.
- Blue Corner Mushroom Dive Centre, Mushroom Beach, ☎ +62 819 34343260, . PADI dive centre located in Mushroom Beach. Branch office of Blue Corner Dive which caters to guests staying on the southern side of Lembongan Island (Mushroom Beach, Tamarind Bay, Dream Beach and other areas of Lembongan Village. PADI courses and guided dive trips conducted at the same high standard as their main dive resort in Jungutbatu.
- One Breath freediving school, Jungut Batu (on the main beach beside the office of the public boat and Monkey surfing), ☎ +62 821 4614 7683 ([email protected]). provides SSI freediving courses for beginners and advanced. We offer a special training for surfers to grow confidence and handle wipeouts in big waves. Divers will be pleased to reduce their air consumption and try a different approach to the wonderful underwater world. Special Manta Ray monitoring excursions with Aquatic Alliance. Underwater photography by a professional.
Healthy reef-life in clear waters off Nusa Lembongan
Non-divers should not feel left out, as good snorkeling is available close inshore at various spots around the island. Perhaps the two best areas are Mushroom Bay on the west coast, and the mangroves on the northern tip. Equipment can be hired from your hotel or on the beach, and depending on the quality of the gear, you should expect to pay IDR75,000-100,000 for renting a mask, snorkel and set of fins.
If you fancy getting further offshore, dive shops may sell you a snorkeling space on a scheduled dive boat, subject to availability.
Also, local boatmen are willing to take you by boat to various snorkeling spots. Depending on the number of snorkeling spots you want to visit, a boat trip can be arranged for about IDR300,000-450,000 (including snorkeling gear). An enjoyable snorkeling spot reached by boat only is the west coast of neighbouring Nusa Penida, with Crystal Bay being especially rewarding. There is a strong current along this coast. The boatman will drop you off at the beginning of the current, and you can drift while snorkeling along the drop off wall with beautiful coral and loads of fish. The boatmen will follow you and pick you up at the end of the drift.
- Lembongan Watersport, Located on main road Mangrove beach /paradise beach (Mangrove forest), ☎ 08155773999, . Lembongan watersport offer package snorkelling day trip from bali to nusa lembongan and nusa penida and also package snorkelling from nusa lembongan to nusa penida include Return hotel transport, return fast boat , 3 spot snorkeling point, Beach side lunch, and Mangrove tour with Kayak or small boat
- Manta Snorkeling Trip Lembongan, Jungutbatu beach (Nusa Lembongan), ☎ 082147904182, . Manta Snorkeling Trip Lembongan offers snorkeling trips to Manta Bay, Crystal Bay and Mangrove. Daily departure from Nusa Lembongan, they pick you up directly at your hotel. From 200.000 Rp per person for 4 hours duration including the equipment, best price you can find on the island.
- Ceningan Divers, Ceningan Resort, Nusa Ceningan (Located a seashell throw away from Nusa Lembongan, 800m on the left side of the yellow bridge in the pristine mangrove forest of Nusa Ceningan), ☎ +62 82145855934 ([email protected]), . 7am to 8pm. This PADI 5 Star Dive Resort conducts dive trips and PADI courses of all level at nearby world-class dive sites. Snorkelling with Manta Ray, Kayaking in the mangroves and GoPRO Divemaster Internships are also possible options. Owned by an award-winning team of international dive instructors, they follow the highest safety standards. $. (-8.6942366,115.4501922)
Other water sports
Families with children will not be short of options. The full gamut of typical resort-type, mechanised water sports are available, including wake-boarding and banana boats. Those who care a little about the environment may be keener to patronise the sea kayaking option. Your hotel will be able to assist with booking any of these activities. Alternatively, just head down to the beach at either Mushroom Bay or Jungut Batu, and figure it out for yourself. Costs start at about IDR150,000 for a single banana boat ride.
This is an excellent island for walking and keen visitors should not hesitate to just head off and explore the myriad tracks that criss-cross the island.
The low cliffs in the south offer some splendid coastal walking routes. Perhaps the best of them starts at Dream Beach, from where you should take the obvious footpath north over the Devil's Tear outcrop, pausing to see some of the most dramatic wave formations anywhere around the island. The crashing plumes are sometimes huge here, so be prepared to get wet! Continue northwards to Sunset Beach and explore the cove. If you time your arrival for low tide, the cave at the eastern end of the beach may be accessible.
At the opposite end of the beach you will find The Beach Club. From here follow the footpath leading northwest up the hill always keeping the private villas to your left, until you again hit the cliff line. From here you will see right across the Badung Strait to Bali. Follow the cliff path northwards and then around to the east, all the time pausing to appreciate the dramatic coastal formations. Birdwatchers should lookout for flashes of turquoise and white, as spectacular sacred kingfishers are common in this area, and offshore it is worth keeping an eye out for huge frigate birds. Keep following this path eastwards, and you will drop down into Mushroom Bay where the suggested walk ends and refreshments are available.
Golf Buggy Exploration
- Dodi's, Jungut Batu (at Green Garden Warung), ☎ +62 813 3741 9282 ([email protected]). The best choice if you dont want to ride a motorbike on the island roads. enjoy the beauty of the island in a comfortable golf buggy. Call Dodie and the Buggy gets delivered to your hotel. From IDR 800.000, depending on duration of rental..
- Lulur Spa, Jungut Batu (at Batu Karang Resort), ☎ +62 366 24880, . 10:00-20:00. Complete spa with rooms for facials, massages, pedicure, manicure and hair treatments. Local products are used as well as some imported from Australia. Each room is set with ambient music and A/C. Changing rooms with clean treated hot water and a relaxation room are provided. From IDR200,000.
- Mushroom Spa (at Mushroom Beach Bungalows), Tanjung Sanghyang Bay, ☎ +62 366 24515. 08:00-20:00. Relaxing massage, body scrub, pedicure or manicure overlooking the clear waters of Sanghyang Bay.
- Yoga Shack Lembongan, Secret Garden Bungalows, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 813 53136861, . 08.00 and 16.00, daily drop-in classes.. Hatha, Vinyasa and Yin classes. All levels of experience. Multiple class discount cards available. See www.facebook.com/yogashacklembongan or Instagram for more details of schedule and prices
- Planet Nomadas Paradise Yoga placed in Jungut Batu ,it provides yoga and meditation retreat centers in Nusa Lembongan, both in Vinyasa and Hatha Yoga, courses range from 1 to 3 days. Phone +6281239916373
Some hotels and scuba shops will accept credit cards, although many of them charge a fee of 3-5% for charges to a credit card.
There one BNI ATM near Warung 99. Logos of all major credit cards are displayed on the machine. However, it is very unreliable, so don't count on it. For instance 20 December 2015 it would not accept any Visa, Mastercard or Cirrus cards. If the atm is not working there is a money changer called WTC close-by that allows you to make withdraw from your Visa or Mastercard card. He charges 6% fee. It is unclear is he accepts other cards as well. He is located next to the Eny spa, follow the signs.
Visitors are therefore advised to bring enough cash with them to avoid hassles. Money changing facilities are available at hotels, but the rate given is always unfavourable so it is best to bring rupiah. If you do run out of cash, a same day return ATM run to Sanur is possible. Alternatively, some hotels will do a cash advance on your credit card for a fee of 8%-10%.
Small shops are widespread, and they are geared towards basic visitor requirements, stocking sun-block, cheap knock-off board shorts and hats, as well as the usual range of snacks, beer, soft drinks and cigarettes. There is little in the way of souvenir type shopping on the island, and there is nothing of this nature which would not be better purchased on the Bali mainland.
Virtually any place you stay on Nusa Lembongan will have a cafe or restaurant attached to it, and the majority of these encourage non-staying guests to eat with them. These can be of hugely variable quality and any casual visitor could be forgiven for thinking the food on this island is terrible! Some of the better budget options can be found at Linda's Bungalows, Mainski, and Dream Beach Huts.
There are a few good local warungs to choose from, but by-and-large there have not been many decent independent restaurants on Nusa Lembongan. That is now changing at a pace though and the more notable exceptions to the old rule are listed below. Fish is naturally a great option.
Traditional jukung outrigger in the mangroves
- Pisang-Pisang, desa jungutbatu (inside Rama Garden Retreat), ☎ 081238441996, . 7am-9pm. A very chill hang out place after a sunny day full of activities. Delicious smoothies,fresh juices, and healthy meals all day. Friendly staff are dedicated and fast to serve you so you can make it to your next destination or just to full-fill your appetite. Free Wi-fi
- Mangrove Restaurant, Ceningan Resort, Nusa ceningan (Turn left after the yellow bridge on Nusa Ceningan), ☎ +62 82145855934 ([email protected]). morning until 10pm. Mangrove Restaurant is located in the pristine mangroves of Nusa Ceningan. Waterfront restaurant serving daily specials, healthy selection of local and international dish. Try their Mezza Plate, Cheeseburger or Indonesia Plate! They have one of the best internet access on the island, plus a nice waterfront bar and shisha lounge with a great view of the channel between the twin islands. $. (,115.4501922)
- Ketut Warung, Jungut Batu (behind Mainski Lembongan Resort). About 11AM-9PM. One of the best local warungs on the island, great atmosphere, huge plates, good Indonesian and Thai food at really cheap prices. The owners, the Ketut Malom family, are friendly hosts. Rp 20,000-30,000 per head.
- Green Garden Warung Coffee Juice and Food, 75m off Jungut Batu (go down the mainroad and take a right at the sign), ☎ 0813 3741 9282. 7:30am - 10:00pm. Offers cheap and tasty Indonesian/Western food. The owner Dodi is extremely kind and some of the menu items are grown in his garden. The Warung is around 75m off the main road (about half way down and turn to the right) but there is a large sign and getting there is pretty easy if you pay attention. Nice ambiance. Free wifi. 15,000-25,000.
- The Beach Club at Sandy Bay (formerly Scallywags Bar and Grill), Sunset Beach, ☎ +62 828 9700 5656 ([email protected]), . 8AM-10PM. A large open bar and restaurant area with a beach-front pool abutting a white sandy beach. Daily BBQ with seafood and steaks, extensive range of cocktails, the beer is very cold and they have a wine cellar. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. The quality of food here is extremely high for Nusa Lembongan and would not be out of place in top restaurants in mainland Bali. Free Wi-Fi. Call for transport from Jungut Batu (10-15 min) and Mushroom Bay (5-7min) - it is free if you make a phone or email booking. (-8.688844,115.430045)
- Mojito House Music Party, Secret Sunset Cliff (150 m from Mushroom Bay), ☎ +62 823 40228744 ([email protected]), . Pick up & drop of available. Night time bar & music.
- Gomez, Mushroom Beach, ☎ +62 821 44682551, . 12:00-23:00. Mexican traditional dishes such as quesadillas and nachos to fajitas with a range of lovely fillings. Cocktails such as mojitos and fresh or frozen margaritas.
- Nyoman's Warung, (head north out of Jungut Batu and turn right when you can go no further). Nyoman's Warung is on the north beach of the island with sweeping views of Mount Agung. The traditional Lembongan menu changes daily to reflect the catch of the day. Rp 20,000-30,000 per head.
- Warung Agung, (a bit further from Nyoman's Warung and just before the mangrove). Lovely set up with views of Mount Agung and a charming staff. The satays are served on small barbecues and are to die for, especially the tuna satay lilit. The cocktails are nice, especially the mojitos though a bit expensive. Rp 20,000-30,000 per head for satays.
- Juice Bar & Coffee Corner, Jungut Batu (southern side of the the main road). Breakfast foods and snacks during the day. All you can eat buffets and enjoy traditional Indonesian foods with some western favorites. Everything is made fresh on site and sourced locally in Indonesia.
- Acha Surf Warung, Jungut batu beach, ☎ +62 821 47147396, . Surf & sea view restaurant with western and Indonesian food.
- 99 Meals House, Jungut Batu village (On the jungut batu village main road, very close to the temple). Tasty local style warung with all the usual Indonesian favourites. Cheap and cheery. The owner might sit and have a chat with you. Rp 20,000- 30,000 per head.
- Pondok Baruna Warung, Jungutbatu Raya (On the main road behind Scooby Doo's, opposite Pondok Jenggala), . Delicious home cooked Indonesian, Balinese and Western food. Good menu and all dishes freshly cooked using local produce. Vegetarian options are also available. Cold beers and wine are served. Often on Saturdays there is a Balinese buffet night which is well worth a visit. Friendly staff, great atmosphere and very, very good food. 40,000.
- Mola Resto, Mushroom Beach (in front of tanis villa and nusa lembongan resort). About 11AM-10PM. serves Western foods, Lembongan foods and BBQ baby tuna, the only one restaurant with live acoustic jamming in Nusa Lembongan. Rp 40,000-70,000 per head.
- Warung Turuy, Jln Raya Jungutbatu ( north) (Cross road empuaji temple), ☎ 08113951119, . 07:00-22:00. Warung Turuy located at Jungutbatu village cross road empuaji temple, this warung special sea food with Grill and fried also available local food from breakfast, Lunch and dinner and high speed free wi-fi IDR 10,000-25,000.
- Muntigs Bar & Restaurant, Jungut Batu Beach, ☎ +62 366 559 6376, . 7:30am - 11:00pm. Offers a variety of International and Asian cuisine. Overlooking the beautiful bay, surf breaks, beach, village and Mount Agung. A Free pick service up is available after 5pm.
- Warung Paradise, end of mangrove beach (Jungutbatu Village), ☎ 08155773999, . 8:30-18:00. Warung paradise located end of paradise beach ( mangrove) offer package snorkeling trip to nusa penida island include lunch and mangrove tour with kayak, stand up paddle board and also small boat
- Tropical Burger & Grill, Jungut Batu (between Mahagiri and D'nusa), ☎ +6281236607638. 07.00-22.00. New Comer in Lembongan Island, serving various Burgers, grill, juice, coffee and cocktail as their speciality. With their FAMOUS Big Jungle Burger, claimed as The bad-ass burger on the island taking down the customers expectation. They put quality in their product so the price is reasonable. Yet the staff very friendly, great skill. Moderate.
As with restaurants, there are few independent drinking establishments. Most cafes and restaurants attached to hotels also double as bars. Nusa Lembongan is known as being very quiet for nightlife. A few beach parties are advertised around the island during high season, and there is sometimes a small monthly full moon party.
- Blue Corner Bar, On the beach north of Jungut Batu. mid-day until 10pm, Fridays open until 3am. Bar & restaurant located on the beachfront by Blue Corner Dive Resort. Bean-bag chairs with umbrellas on the beach, WiFi, and free use of swimming pool. Sunset beach volleyball every day, Wednesday night pub trivia quiz. On Friday nights expats, the dive community and tourists party here with a beach fire and drinks until very late.
- Ceningan Shisha Lounge, Ceningan Resort, Nusa ceningan (Located 500 meters on the left side of the Yellow Bridge on Nusa ceningan.), ☎ +6282145855934 ([email protected]), . 12pm to 10pm. Ceningan Shisha Lounge is located in the pristine mangroves of Nusa Ceningan. Waterfront bar serving daily specials, happy hour daily 5-6pm, comfortable shisha lounge with the largest collection of board games on the island, hosting weekly events, movie nights, and game nights. $. (,115.4501922)
- Cafe Bali, Mushroom Bay (eastern end of the bay). Usually 9AM-9PM. A great place to have a beer and watch the view back to Bali. Restaurant serving pasta and other options.
- Scooby Doo Beach Bar, Jungut Batu. Variable hours, but often busy 6PM-10PM. Beachside bar which is especially popular with the Australian surfing crowd. Expect cold beers, lots of chat about waves and sport on the television.
- Barbarella's. Mushroom Beach. The new bar on the island. Open noon till late. Serving tapas, cold beer and cocktails, including the best margaritas on the island. Wifi available. Good music, too.
- Bali Eco Deli, JL Raya Jungut Batu (North side, at the end of Jungut Batu village, 50m after the temple corner and 100m before the World Diving, Big Fish & Two Fish area), ([email protected]), . 7AM-6PM. A cozy place on the main road, behind the busy Jungut Batu beach. One of the few places on the island serving real Espresso & mixes (Cappuccino, Latte, Mocha), chillers, iced teas & coffees, slow juiced fruits and twice daily baked treats such as cookies, muffins, brownies & Belgian waffles. Open from early morning to mid-afternoon. Eat-in & Take-away. Everything is home made using ingredients sourced from organic & fair-trade farms across Indonesia. Free mineral water refills & free WIFI for customers.
- JIBAKU Bar & Restaurant, Jl. Raya Jungut Batu (North side of the Island on the way to Mangrove Forest), ☎ +62 85 737 861735 / +62 81 999 630063. Stunning place on the beach with magnificent ocean view and the volcano Agung Mountains.Open daily for Lunch and Dinner. served good food from Western cuisine, Indonesian, Pasta & Pizza, Seafood. Served nice coldest Beer, good Cocktails, and Wine.
- The Deck Cafe & Bar, Jungut Batu Beach, ☎ +62 828 970 01771, . A favourite spot for the savvy travellers of Nusa Lembongan. Indulge in the taste of gourmet baguettes, paninis, freshly baked pies, pizzas, home baked cakes, gelato ice cream, fresh juices, smoothies and real coffee!Enjoy the sunsets lounging around listening to smooth tunes sipping on a delicious cocktail while the island life passes you by.A spot where you can see all the surf breaks, witness the islanders harvesting their seaweed patches and the everyday activity of Lembongan.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under Rp 300,000
|| Rp 300,000-1,000,000
|| Over Rp 1,000,000
There is a broad range of accommodation, with options to suit almost any budget. Most budget accommodations can be found at Jungut Batu, while more up market accommodation is further south, around Mushroom Bay, the Bukit and Dream Beach. Traditionally, budget guest houses aimed at young surfers and back-packers dominated, but that changed in recent years as more and more well-heeled visitors discovered the island. Some of the older budget options are very tired indeed, and visitors should bear that in mind when assessing where to stay.
Check-in and check-out times are something of a movable feast at most hotels. It is safe to assume a time of about 1PM for checkin and about 11AM for checkout, unless specifically stated otherwise.
There are no formal campsites on the island but travellers do sometimes pitch tents. A small donation to the local community is recommended.
There are myriad small, cheap back-packer places in the small lanes leading off the main road in Jungut Batu.
- Ceningan Resort (Ceningan Divers), Nusa Ceningan (Located 500m on the left side of the yellow bridge on Nusa Ceningan), ☎ +62 82145855934 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1100. Ceningan Resort is a Green Star Award, eco-friendly, PADI 5 Star Dive Resort. With 8 bungalows (King size bed, mosquito net, AC, hot water shower), restaurant, shisha lounge, bar and various on site activities such as kayaking, SUP, snorkeling and scuba diving. Explore beyond Lembongan, stay off the beaten path at Ceningan Resort! 200.000Rp to 1.150.000Rp. (-8.6942366,115.4501922)
- D’Mel Sari Garden view (D’Mel Sari), Jungut Batu (Located in Jungut Batu village Lembongan Island), ☎ +62 8124621805 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1000; checkout: 1000. D’Mel Sari Garden View has 8 rooms including: 4 superior kingsize rooms with air conditioning;1 standard kingsize room with air conditioning;1 standard twin room with air conditioning;1 standard kingsize room with fan;1 standard twin room with fan;Each room comes with a spacious ensuite bathroom with a hot water shower, free WIFI, TV with cable channels, mini bar, wardrobe and desk. Each room also has its own private seating area on a small terrace in front of the room for relaxing after a hard days diving /snorkelling/ sightseeing. 250.000Rp to 350.000Rp.
- Laksemi Homestay Lembongan, 10minute drive Homestay in from Mushroom Bay // cheap accommodation (Near the puncak sari cliff), ☎ office +62 82340228744 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12noon. small Beautiful Homestay with A/C, Single and double size bed, towels, bathroom with shower. Offers snorkeling gear, room safe, daily breakfast & Include Shuttle from and to the Harbor. From 150,000 - 200.000 per night.
- Beach Hello Bungalows. (Suka Beach Bungalows), Jungut Batu (at the north end of Jungut Batu beach), . *<sleep name="Bungalo No7" alt="" address="Jungut Batu" directions="" phone="" url="http://www.bungalo-no7.com/" checkin="" checkout="" price="Rp 200,000-350,000" lat="" long="" email="[email protected]">Clean fan-cooled rooms around a garden right on the beach. WiFi available, if you pay.
- Pondok Baruna Sea View, Jungutbatu, Sea Front (On the beach next to World Diving Lembongan), . checkin: 12.00pm; checkout: 10.00am. Four simple double rooms just 5 meters from the beach, each room has own veranda with chairs and tables facing the ocean and amazing sunsets, large double beds, en-suite western bathrooms with cold water showers. Rooms are fan cooled with sea breezes. Price includes breakfast for two people or 200,000 per night if single occupancy. Guests can also use the swimming pool behind at Pondok Baruna Garden. Amazing restaurant also on the main road. 250,000. www.pondokbaruna.com
- Blue Corner Dive Resort & Beach Cottages. (Oasis Bungalows), Jungut Batu (at the north end of Jungut Batu beach), ☎ +62 87761042438 ([email protected]), . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 10:00am. A lively place at the north end of Jungutbatu on the youthful Blue Corner Beach. The Oasis Beach Cottages are plush traditional huts with AC and hot-water showers on the beach beside the dive centre. Free WiFi. Budget long-term rooms and camp sites available on special request. 400,000 - 600,000 Rp.
- Beach Hello Bungalows. (Suka Beach Bungalows), Jungut Batu (at the north end of Jungut Batu beach), ([email protected]), . New, traditional-style, wooden bungalows with thatched roofs. 2 stories, private bathroom with cold-water showers, and a deck with chairs and a table. On the beach with a view of the ocean, overlooking Shipwrecks surf break. Clean, fan-cooled rooms with double beds. Family-owned, helpful and friendly. Father cooks most meals and was trained as a chef in Bali. Price includes breakfast. about Rp 200,000.
- Bungalo No7, Jungut Batu, ([email protected]), . Clean fan-cooled rooms around a garden right on the beach. WiFi available, if you pay. Rp 200,000-350,000.
- Cara Aji Guest House, Jungut Batu (opposite Pura Mpu Aji temple, just north of Jungut Batu), ([email protected]). Simple and clean with 3 elegant bungalows with shared bathroom, landscaped gardens and plunge pool. Good option on a beer budget. Rp 200,000.
- Ketut Losmen Bungalow, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 813 3784 6555 ([email protected]), . A family-run complex of 12 bungalows with a small swimming pool overlooking the beach. All bungalows have fan, double bed, writing desk and ensuite bathroom with hot shower. The better bungalows are a little bit further from the beach. Basic rooms with fan from Rp 200,000 and more up-market bungalows with A/C from Rp 400,000, no breakfast included.
- Linda Bungalows, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 812 360 0867 ([email protected]), . Two-level bungalows. Rooms have views of Shipwrecks surf break. Cold saltwater showers, deck chairs and balcony seating. Towels provided. Restaurant serves pure beef burgers, daily specials, big pancakes and an 'American' breakfast. Also the location of the new Drift Divers dive shop, active on the island since 1995. From Rp 150,000.
- Lembongan Made Inn, Jungut Batu (50 m from main boat landing), ☎ +62 813 38726730. 4 bungalow rooms, two upstairs, two down. Opened in 2011. Good option for those on a tight budget, and popular with the younger dive and surf crowd. Excellent people, absolutely a great place to stay! The owner also has a motor boat and can take you for a very decent price snorkelling or to Nusa Penida to visit the temple under the cave. Great attention,comfort and hospitality. From Rp 150,000.
- Nitya Home Stay, Banjar Kaja I, Jungut Batu (5 minutes from white sandy beach), ☎ +62 (0)85 737 644 335 ([email protected]), . checkin: from 11.00am; checkout: 10.00am. Luxury for good budget. Ornamented gardens and pretty rooms. Hotel pool. Fast WiFi. Nice staff. Ensuite with fan 250.000-300.000, with A/C 350.000-400.000. (8.674292S,115.448566E)
- Nusa Tropical Dewata, 40m in front of Surf Break (beside of Main Ski), ☎ +62 878 82205207 ([email protected], fax: +62 366 5596401), . checkin: 11AM-4PM; checkout: 12noon. Tropical garden and room with A/C and ceiling fan. Stay more than 3 nights and get a free fish dinner. Rooms have twin beds, double and single beds with bath tub, shower, sink and mirror, cupboard, reading lamp, and balcony with table and chairs. Provides motorbike and bicycle rental, surf lessons, and can pick up and drop off guests. Rp 250,000.
- Pacific Inn, Jungut Batu (75 m from main boat landing, between money changer and Drift Dive shop), ☎ +62 812 37584385 ([email protected]), . 5 rooms with double bed. 2 rooms with A/C, 3 with fan. Low season from Rp 100,000 (fan room) to Rp 250,000 (A/C+hot water). One of the rooms has got a great ocean view. Serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free WiFi, sea view terrace. From Rp 100,000.
- Pondok Jengagala, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 812 3605886 ([email protected]), . A bright and airy bungalow complex in the centre of Jungut Batu. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Has a decent cafe attached. From Rp 250,000.
- Secret Garden Bungalows, Jungut Batu (behind Baruna & Scooby Doo, beside the black temple about halfway between Shipwrecks & Playgrounds surf breaks), ☎ +62 813 5313 6861 ([email protected]), . Budget accommodation in a tropical garden, only 50 m from the beach. 9 fan-cooled double/twin rooms, clean and spacious with semi-outdoor bathrooms. Swimming pool, book exchange, tourist info, hammocks and a sofa area for relaxation. Big Fish Diving onsite as well as Yoga Shack with daily Yoga classes. Rp 200,000.
- Swara Homestay, Jungut Batu (on main street of Jungutbatu village), ☎ +62 817 9729380 ([email protected]), . Opened 2012, clean, fan, free WiFi. From Rp 80,000-150,000.
- Two Thousand Bungalow, Jungut Batu (between Ketut Losmen and Mainski), ☎ +62 812 381 2775. checkin: 1PM; checkout: 9AM. Two story bungalows, spacious rooms, cold and hot showers, fan or A/C. Room rate does not include breakfast. The restaurant is right on the sand. From Rp 250,000.
- Bunda 7 Bungalow, Jungut Batu, ([email protected]), . Clean rooms with fan or A/C around a garden right on the beach. Swimming pool. WiFi available if you pay. Rp 300,000-450,000.
- Wahyu Home stay, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 813 38249410 ([email protected]). Clean, fans and A/C, swimming pool. Free WiFi, 50 m from beach. Cheaper-than-average restaurant. Rp 100,000-400,000.
- Widia Home stay, Jungut Batu village, ☎ +62 8123 988 057 ([email protected]). Clean, A/C Free WiFi, 100 m from beach. New located at the center of jungutbatu village . Rp 200,000-250,000.
- Adi Bungalows, Mushroom Bay (at the west side of Nusa 50m from Mushroom Beach), ☎ +6281237168482.
===Mid Range=== *<sleep name="Adi Bungalow Huts" alt="" address="Mushroom Bay" directions="70m from Mushroom Bay" phone="" url="" checkin="14:00" checkout="12:00" price="Rp 300,000" lat="" long="" email="">Balinese style huts with traditional alang-alang thatched roof and modern style bathroom, built in Apr 2011. Air-con, fans, double beds with mosquito nets and mini bar.
The aqua coloured waters of Mushroom Bay
- Ceningan Resort, Ceningan Resort, Nusa Ceningan (Located 800m on the left side of the yellow bridge on Nusa Ceningan), ☎ +62 82145855934 ([email protected]), . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. Ceningan Resort is a brand new Green Star Award, eco-friendly, PADI 5 Star Dive Resort. With 8 bungalows (King size bed, mosquito net, AC, hot water shower), restaurant, lounge, bar and various on site activities such as kayaking, SUP, snorkeling and scuba diving. (Opening August 1st 2015) $19 to $59. (-8.6942366,115.4501922)
- Rama Garden Retreat (Bed & breakfast), Jungutbatu (Located at shipwrecks surf spot), ☎ +62 812 3844 1996 ([email protected]), . 7 large separate rooms with King & Queen size beds have garden views. Each room has air-con, cold/hot water & Wi-Fi. Large private bathroom with semi open air concept. Restaurant and lounge area open 07:00-22:00 daily serving Juice,smoothies,and healthy vegan delight dishes. The perfect place to eat/stay/surf/freedive. Laundry, motorbike & bicycle rentals, boat transfer available. IDR300,000-550,000.
- Alam Nusa Bungalow & Spa, Mushroom Bay (between Bali Hai and Waka Nusa), ☎ +62 813 3837 7482. checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Traditional Balinese house with garden, bar and restaurant. Packages for couples with honeymoon available at budget prices. Balinese massage and other treatments available. Provide speedboat for a 25-30min transfer to/from Bali at Rp 450,000 per person return. Charters also available. From Rp 400,000.
- Bali Lumbung Huts, Mushroom Bay. Mushroom Bay beachfront location with traditional Balinese style grass-roofed huts with ocean and sunset views. All room rates include daily breakfast and guide. from USD75.
- Coconuts Beach Resort, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 361 807 0181 ([email protected]), . Air-con or fan-cooled cottages by the beach each with en-suite bathrooms and hot water. 2 pools, restaurant, bar, internet and sat TV. All cottages have views of the surf breaks and Mount Agung on Bali. From USD78.
- Dream Beach Huts, Dream Beach, ☎ +62 361 74 32344 ([email protected], fax: +62 361 292 441), . checkout: 12.00. A secluded bungalow complex right on the beach-front at Dream Beach. The thatched roof huts have mosquito nets provided, open air private bathrooms,air conditioning, king size beds and balconies with sunset and ocean views. Swimming pool with Balinese umbrellas, long chairs near the beach, laundry service, ping pong table, cafe, bar and restaurant. Balinese massage and extra pillows on request. Tired and has seen far better days, but still popular with those wanting to get right away from it. from Rp. 650.000.
- Paradiso Island, f (50m to Sunset Point Cliff), ☎ +62 878 76593513 ([email protected], fax: +62 366 5596401). checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Quite a place with traditional style huts. Jurassic Cafe and Bar has a sunset view in the forest. Rp 370,000.
- The Komodo, Sunset Beach (50 m from Sunset Beach at Sandy Bay), ☎ +62 878 6027 7658 ([email protected], fax: +62 366 559 6401), . checkin: 13:00; checkout: 12:00. 5 rooms and 4 chalets with garden views. Large rooms, swimming pool, bar, restaurant, BBQ dinners, free continental breakfast. Air-con and fan-cooled rooms. Free Wi-Fi, free pick-ups and drop-offs around Nusa Lembongan. From USD40, discounted rates for longer stays.
- Lembongan Cliff Villas, Selambung Beach (Coconuts Beach) ("), ☎ +62 813 3737 9396 ([email protected], fax: +62 361 465 086), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. Close to Puncak Sari Hindu temple and some of the island's surf breaks. Large rooms, swimming pool, bar, restaurant, BBQ dinners, free breakfast available. A/C and fan-cooled rooms with ocean and garden views. From USD64.
- Mainski Lembongan Resort, Jungut Batu Beach, ☎ +62 361 9237322 or +62 815 5828 9123 ([email protected], fax: +62 366 24481), . checkin: Noon; checkout: 10AM. Infinity edge swimming pool right on the beach, poolside sun lounges, beachfront bar and restaurant, games area with pool table and table tennis. High speed internet and WiFi. Restaurant has an Australian cook and offers an international a-la-carte menu. A BBQ with steaks and seafood is available every night. Standard fan-cooled room US$28, deluxe fan-cooled room US$35, deluxe A/C room US$45, luxury suite with fan US$75, 3 bedroom villa US$140. All including continental breakfast.
- Molamola House, Mushroom Bay (next to Nusa Lembongan Resort), ☎ +62 818 05659124 ([email protected]). checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. Traditional Balinese huts on the beachfront with AC and Hot Water. Ocean views, mount agung view, the friendly staff with surfer owner.The price includes breakfast, snorkeling gear, free kayak and a surfing trip. Stays of more than 4 nights free use of a scooter during for a day. the perfect place to EAT/STAY/SURF. From US$55-US$ 75.
- Mushroom Bay Bungalows, Mushroom Bay, ☎ +62 361 413538 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. Cottages overlooking Mushroom Bay with open air cold water showers and mosquito nets. A/C and fan-cooled rooms available. Swimming pool with sun lounges, massage room, BBQ dinners on the beach and a free daily breakfast. From US$55.
- Mushroom Garden Villas, Mushroom Bay (200m from Mushroom Bay Harbour), ☎ +62 366 559-6406, 62 361 281974, 6287760460499 ([email protected]), . checkin: Early check in available; checkout: 12:00. bungalow style with 8 bedrooms available in the traditional building style of Bali. Each bungalow is 6x4m and with air-con. There are 4 standard bungalows with double bed and 4 superior villas with twin bed with en suite bathrooms with bathtub (cold and hot water) and mosquito nets. It also has a medium pool size, a restaurant, spa, mini market, and seafood restaurant. Rp 350,000 for standard villa.
- Playgrounds Resort, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 366 24524 ([email protected]), . Fan-cooled rooms to private self-contained villas with air-con. Views over the bay. Double rooms with air-con AUD85 and fan-cooled AUD75. Family rooms AUD100 and villas AUD100-170.
- Pondok Baruna Garden Rooms, Jungutbatu (Set back from the beach behind the Sea View rooms, next to Warung Tropical), . checkin: 12.00; checkout: 10.00. Six tastefully designed rooms set around a swimming pool in a peaceful garden. All rooms have outdoor seating area, air-con and hot water modern bathrooms. Sun loungers are set around the pool and also some areas of shade. There is a snack bar serving breakfasts, snacks and cold beers. Room price includes breakfast for two people, IDR400,000 if single occupancy. IDR450,000.
- Rigils Lembongan Bungalows & Spa, ([email protected]), . checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12 noon. Standard and large family room. Bar, restaurant and swimming pool with spa. Rooms are furnished with antique wooden beds, mosquito nets. Private terrace or balcony looks into the bungalows garden. The bathrooms have a cold shower. They provide speedboat for a 25-30min transfer upon request. Rp 450,000/person (return transfer) at 08:30, 13:00 & 15:30. Charters also available from Lembongan for Rp 2,000,000. Fan-cooled family bungalow Rp 450,000, continental or Indonesian breakfast included.
- Rickey Lembongan Beach Huts, Tamarind Beach (Northeast of Mushroom Bay). checkin: 1PM; checkout: 12 noon. Small beach-side hotel nearby to local surf breaks, playgrounds and shipwrecks. Cottages provided with ceiling fans with either a large 1 bedroom or a 2 bedroom family option. All bathrooms have hot water. A bar and restaurant is provided and umbrellas are available for use on the beach. Ocean views across the strait to Mount Agung. Free pick-up from the boat docking point. Rp 550,000.
- Song Lambung Beach & Cliff Huts, Song Lambung Beach (between Playgrounds surf break,and Selegimpak Bay), ☎ +62 82340 228744 ([email protected]). checkout: 11:30AM. Small collection of Balinese style bungalows set into the cliff with fantastic ocean & mountain views, king-sized bed, AC & ceiling fan, balcony, mosquito nets, towels, private bath room with toilet, hot & cold shower. Bar and restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Small but stunning horizon pool overlooks delightful Song Lambung Beach. Free WiFi & top continental breakfast included. Cooked breakfast available for a extra few dollars. Warm, friendly service by local owner operators. US$75.
- Tamarind Beach Bungalows, Tamarind Beach (between Playgrounds surf break and Mushroom Bay), ☎ +62 361 857 2572 ([email protected]), . Balinese style bungalows with double bed, ceiling fan, mosquito nets, towels, private bath room, toilet, cold water shower and bath tub. Facilities include a children's and adult swimming pool, mini library and BBQ on request. Bar and restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. A continental breakfast is included in the price. Standard rooms with fan USD40 and large rooms with fan USD50/night.
- The Tanis Villas, Mushroom Bay, ☎ +6281337585555 or +628283687447 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14.00 pm; checkout: 12.00 pm. The Tanis Villas (between lumbung huts and mola-mola house - Mushroom Bay), Cottages overlooking Mushroom Bay with open air, cold/hot showers and mosquito nets. A/C and fan-cooled rooms available. Room With Balinese style. Two swimming pools in front of lobby and restaurant with sun lounges; also massage room, laundry service. Only one TV in the lobby and free 24-hour WiFi. Lunch and BBQ dinners on the wooden deck near the beach and free daily breakfast are available. Also we have Day Trips. Come to Tanis Villas to enjoy a relaxing stay with fun and really friendly staff. Enjoy a drink around the swimming pool. There is a 22 Room ( 9 unit One Bedroom, 1 unit Suite Room, 2 unit Two Bedroom, 4 unit Standard Ocean View and 4 unit Standard Garden View. Price from US$ 55.00/night untill US$ 110.00/night.
- Villa Mimpi Manis ([email protected]), Jungut Batu, ☎ (Aust) +61 478 258346, . Balinese style two level villa located on the hill above Jungut Batu. Views towards Bali over the surf and reef. Two king size beds, two bathrooms with hot water, plunge pool, kitchenette, home theatre, room safe, two fridges, serviced daily. Linen and drinking water supplied. From AU$100 per night.
- Ware Ware Surf Bungalows, Jungut Batu (south of the bay, up on the hill), ☎ +62 361 807 0181 ([email protected]), . Eight standard rooms and one family room. Bathroom with cold shower. Private terrace or balcony, furnished with antique wooden beds and mosquito nets, continental or Indonesian breakfast included. From Rp 500,000.
- Oka7 Bungalows, Jungut Batu (south of the bay, up on the hill), ☎ " ([email protected]), . 5 deluxe rooms and two Lumbung rooms. Bathroom with hot&cold shower. Private terrace or balcony, furnished with antique wooden beds and mosquito nets, continental or Indonesian breakfast included. From Rp 600,000.
- Lembongan Villa Jepun, Jungut Batu Village (Same street as Secret Garden and World Diving, knows as Two Fish Divers resort), ☎ +62 812 3924 1560 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1pm; checkout: 11am. Come to Villa Jepun to enjoy a relaxing stay with fun and really friendly staff. Enjoy a drink around the swimming pool or use the relaxing area to watch a DVD or read a book. All the rooms have hot water and you can choose between fan and A/C. Enjoy a perfect breakfast with a buffet style (cereals, home made bread, eggs, pancakes, jaffle and many specials of the day. And if you want to take a diving course or just some fun dive then Two Fish Divers will show you the amazing dive sites around Lembongan. Superior with A/C and hot water 600 000 Rp, Superior with fan and hot water 450 000Rp. (-8.67255306243896,115.448661804199)
- Shipwrecks Beach Villa, Jungut Batu ((North end of Jungut Batu)), ☎ +6281337399577 ([email protected]), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 10AM. Close by Shipwrecks surf break, about 80 metres from beach. Constructed from timber and reflecting a traditional Balinese style. Large private garden with pool. 3 guest rooms, (one master and two standard) with king size beds, A/C, with overhead fans and private garden bathroom (hot/cold water). The master room has a large terrazzo bath. The main pavilion has living, dining and kitchen area. There is an A/V room with satellite TV, DVDs, books and games. Complimentary breakfast includes home-made bread. As you might expect for this price, it is not really a villa but a perfectly comfortable house with 3 rooms. Master room Rp 825,000, Standard room Rp 660,000. A smoke free property. Mid-range. (8 deg 40'.05.10S,115 deg 26'.57.59E)
- Made Homestay, Heart of Jungut Batu (on the main road opposite a temple). A very basic but also very central homestay for those on a tight budget. The three rooms are located to the side of the main family living area and are small but clean. They share a basic traditional bathroom and a laundry area. For long stays, the price is very negotiable. Price includes breakfast. 100,000 rp.
- Villa Bukit Lembongan, Jl Bukit lembongan (3 minutes from jungut batu on top of the hill), . checkin: midday; checkout: 9.am. Villa Bukit Lembongan is situated on the forested hills of Nusa Lembongan. Each villa can host up to 8 guests and contains four king size beds, A/C and fan cooler, with Balinese style ensuite. Fully fitted kitchen and dining room.The staff can organise all activities and transfers. from $300.
Looking across the Badung Strait to Mount Agung
- Mahagiri Resort Nusa Lembongan (Resort in Nusa Lembongan), Br. Kaja, Desa Jungutbatu, Nusa Lembongan, Nusa Penida, Klungkung, Bali, Indonesia, ☎ +62 81 558 709 888 ([email protected]), . checkin: 12.00pm; checkout: 10.00am. Located in the best point of the island of Nusa Lembongan, Mahagiri Resort Nusa Lembongan experience that all tourists dream of views of the sunset and sunrise as well as easy access to water activities and diving. Mahagiri Resort Nusa Lembongan consists of 91 Rooms and Villas. IDR 1.500.000 - IDR 3.000.000.
- Batu Karang Lembongan Resort and Day Spa, Jungut Batu (the Bukit), ☎ +62 366 24880, . checkout: ""email="[email protected]". Includes Muntigs restaurant and bar, a day spa, 3 swimming pools (a 25 m lap pool, a 9x9 m pool with swim up pool bar and a 9x9 m infinity edge pool), steam room, gymnasium, day lounge, wedding pavilion and conference facility. All rooms have A/C, internet, safety box, 220 thread cotton sheets, king size double beds and a mini bar. The outdoor bathrooms have views over the surf breaks and across to Mt Agung in Bali. Has its own water and sewage treatment plants, so the water you use is fresh and clean. From US$210, breakfast included.
- Indiana Kenanga Villas, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 366 24471 ([email protected]), . A French-owned and run suite/villa resort which opened in July 2009. Offers 6 one bedroom suites and 2 two bedroom villas. US$120-170 for a suite and US$320-370 for a 2 bedroom villa.
- Nusa Lembongan Resort, Mushroom Bay, ☎ +62 361 725864 ([email protected]), . This 12 cottage hotel has been around for a while, and it has definitely seen far better days. The location is superb though, right on the western headland of Mushroom Bay. Seven of the cottages have clear ocean views, as does the bar and restaurant. Garden view villa from US$235 and ocean view villa from US$300, American breakfast included.
- Waka Nusa Resort, Mushroom Bay, ☎ +62 361 484 085 ([email protected]), . A small resort from the boutique hotel group Waka, located right on the beach at Mushroom Bay. The resort consists of 10 grass-roofed bungalows, From US$127, breakfast included.
The following are all stand-alone, self-contained villas with private swimming pools.
- Villa Atas Nusa Lembongan, Tamarind Beach (between Batu Karang and Playgrounds), ([email protected]), . Fully self-contained single villa. Ground level has an A/C king size bedroom, and a large open indoor/outdoor lounge area that borders the plunge pool. Outdoor dining area steps down to a garden. Solar hot water system and CD player on both levels. Overlooks all three main surf breaks. Upstairs sleeps two in a king size bedroom, downstairs sleeps 2 in a kingsize bedroom plus 2 on daybeds in the open style living area. Minimum 3 day bookings, downstairs US$120/day, upstairs US$180/day, whole villa US$320/day.
- Villa Lago, Jungut Batu, ☎ +62 878 6235 2848 ([email protected]), . New villa completed April 2014 taking advantage of an absolute waterfront location and view to Playground's surf break. 4 bedrooms each en suite. 15m long infinity edge pool and comes with staff and manager. From AUD500.
- Villa Nusa, Jungutbatu Tinggi (top of the hill overlooking Jungutbatu), ☎ +62 812 3917 5464 ([email protected]), . New private, luxury villa sleeps up to 8 people in three double bedrooms and two singles/ double in the mezzanine. 10m infinity pool, fully equipped kitchen, dining room, lounge and TV/bar/games room and 3 staff – one of whom is a fully trained masseuse. From USD290 for up to 4 people and USD40 per person for each extra guest. USD290.
- Villa Pantai, Celagi Bay, ☎ +62 877 6124 6475 ([email protected]), . A high quality beach-front property which would not be out of place in the top echelons of the mainland Bali villa market. It has seven bedrooms sleeping up to 18 guests, a 10 m swimming pool, fully equipped gym and spa, and comes fully staffed. From US$720.
- Villa Shambala, (just west of Mushroom Bay, on the coastal path), ([email protected]), . 2 bedroom oceanfront private villa with a small cliff edge swimming pool. US$150.
- Ceningan Resort, Nusa ceningan (Located 500 meters on the left side of the Yellow Bridge), ☎ +62 82145855934 ([email protected]), . checkin: 1400; checkout: 1100. Ceningan Resort is located in the pristine mangroves of Nusa Ceningan (Lembongan), it is owned by 4 expats from Europe and North America. They have four types of accommodations: Dorm, Twin bungalow, Family Room, Deluxe Bungalows. AC, Private bathroom with hot shower, Garden view balcony with hammock, Wifi, Breakfast. On site you will also find the Mangrove International Restaurant, Ceningan Shisha Lounge with boardgames, The Jetty Bar, as well as a PADI 5* Dive Centre. 200k Dorm, 750k Deluxe Bungalow. (,115.4501922)
- Jenny's Bed & Breakfast, Nusa Ceningan, ☎ +62 812 3627 7650 ([email protected]). Bungalows at the remote southwestern tip of Nusa Ceningan which opened in mid 2009. Clean rooms and breakfast is served right at the beach. Motorbike rental available. Friendly American manager and local guidance. They can arrange pick up from Jungut Batu on Nusa Lembongan. Rp 200,000.
- Secret Point Huts, Nusa Ceningan, . checkout: Noon. Close to the Secret Point surf break. A/C, fan, towels and private bathroom. All huts have ocean views, and direct access to the beach. US$60.
This is a safe island and reports of crime, major or minor, are rare. Most common is the theft of items left in unlocked rooms, so as you would anywhere in the world, just be sensible.
Drugs are not especially widespread here, but you may be offered marijuana or mushrooms, and more rarely, harder drugs. Be aware that the latter is highly illegal in Indonesia and penalties are harsh. The Indonesian legal position on mushrooms is unclear and to be totally safe, visitors should steer clear.
The biggest dangers to visitors are related to the sea. Swimming is not be taken lightly in any waters around Bali, and Nusa Lembongan is no exception. Mushroom Bay and the area around the mangroves in the north are largely safe for swimming, but still take care. Swimming at Dream Beach and Sunset Beach (in particular) should be avoided by all but the very strongest of swimmers, and even then with great caution. Surfing at all four breaks is challenging for beginners.
There is a small medical clinic in Jungut Batu with an attendant doctor. This is a perfectly good facility for treating minor ailments, but visitors with anything approaching a serious problem should get back to Bali as quickly as possible. Opening hours are erratic and unpredictable. Ask at your hotel.
Like all of Bali, Nusa Lembongan is officially a malaria-free zone. Dengue fever is a potential problem. Unlike in mainland Bali, there are no recent cases of rabies.
It is possible to make phone calls from Nusa Lembongan. Although a little pricey, public telephone offices (wartels) can be found at the Scoot boat office and at Bungalow No7.
- International phone operators: 101.
- International Direct Dialing prefix: 001, 007, or 008.
- The area code for Nusa Lembongan is officially 0366, although 0361 is also widely used.
- Landlines are not that common, and even many well-established businesses operate with mobile telephones only. All of the major Indonesian mobile networks have coverage of the island.
- For directory inquiries, dial 108 from a landline or 0361-108 from a mobile phone.
Wireless internet capability is fairly widespread, even at the cheapest hotels and backpacker haunts. The fastest and most reliable Wi-Fi is offered by the Beach Club at Sandy Bay, and this is free for all guests at the restaurant.
There are a couple of basic, well signed public internet cafes at the southern end of the main coast road in Jungut Batu. Look for the signs and expect to pay about Rp 30,000 per hour. Service is sometimes very slow. Most of the internet cafes also have a download limit in addition to charging for time, so save your media streaming activities for Bali.
The national phone company, Telkomsel, provides a decent 3G connection, however it may default to GPRS.
As of December 2017, XL Asiata had good LTE coverage at least around the northern half of the island.
- The vast majority of visitors leave the way they came in, i.e. back to Sanur and then on to elsewhere in Bali.
- For the adventurous, a side trip to Nusa Penida island will get you well off the beaten path.
||This is a star article. It is a high-quality article complete with maps, photos, and great information. If you know of something that has changed, please plunge forward and help it grow!