Nusa Dua is a peninsula in South Bali, well known as an enclave of high end hotels.
The golden sands of Nusa Dua
The place name Nusa Dua can be used in two ways: either it can refer to the entire eastern side of the Bukit Peninsula at the southern tip of Bali, or it can refer to the purpose-built, safe and rather sterile tourist enclave (Kawasan Pariwisata, quite literally Tourism District) at the southeast side of this peninsula.
This article covers everything in the Nusa Dua enclave plus the Tanjung Benoa peninsula and a few points west of the enclave to the village of Sawangan. Everything on the Bukit Penisula to the west of Sawangan is covered by the Uluwatu article.
As well as a host of luxury hotels, Nusa Dua is home to the most popular golf course in Bali and the main convention centre on the island.
The beaches here are glorious - white sand, deep, long and safe for swimming. The public beach at Geger is the best to head to if you are not staying at Nusa Dua. This is also home to one of the best museums in Bali. The museum is nearly always empty.
The Nusa Dua enclave has three manned gates and everyone entering is subject to a security search. This can have a slightly claustrophobic effect according to some points of view, and in other points of view makes guests feel more secure. While some may criticize this for creating the sense of an "artificial location", given the prior acts of terrorism in Bali some guests do appreciate the fact that security checks are made to enhance their safety.
Nusa Dua is located 40km south of Denpasar, the provincial capital of Bali. Access is easy from the Kuta area (20-30 minutes) and Jimbaran (15 minutes) on the main southern route called Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai, which becomes Jalan Bypass Nusa Dua as it approaches the enclave.
The international airport is about 20 to 30 minutes by car and a pre-paid taxi fare from there will cost between Rp 95,000 and 110,000. If you are staying here, then your hotel will no doubt arrange to pick you up at the airport.
Public transport is far from regular in the area, but some bemos from Tegal terminal in Denpasar do ply the main bypass.
- Pantai Geger (Geger Beach). This is the public beach in Nusa Dua. This splendid white sand beach at the western edge of the enclave retains lots of the character that is missing in the sanitised Nusa Dua resort zone. Generally safe for swimming and some beach side warungs. The restaurant, beachbeds and massage ladys all work for the local cooperative. By suporting them you support the locals. Geger has a cooling breeze as it is one of the few beaches facing east and because ofv the reef far out from the beach it has some of the warmest water temperatures in Bali. Head westwards out of the Nusa Dua enclave passing the golf course and then the St Regis Hotel (on your left). Shortly after the St Regis, take the first turning left towards to the beach and proceed to the Pantai Geger car park.
- Water Blow, . There is one spot in the area of Nusa Dua Beach, Bali, called "Water Blow" which is a rock formation where waves colliding onto the rock wall creates a giant splash like the water is "blowing up". Water Blow is located on the Nusa Dua peninsula on Nusa Dua Beach just north of the Grand Hyatt Hotel. This amazing attraction is located on the far edge of the peninsula, on which is usually held a big international invent such as the Nusa Dua Festival, World class exhibitions, and others international events. This area has dangerous cliffs which recently were managed by the BTDC by creating a path and guardrail. Not only that, an open-roofed building and was built at one end of the cliff. The interesting mechanism of Water Blow is that on the cliff, face-to-face with the Indian Ocean, there is a large narrowing gap. When the wave rolls in and hits the cliff, it is caught in the gap and slammed into the top. From a distance it appears like a huge white foam dancing to the top. As larger and faster waves approach, the higher waves tower over the cliff. If not careful, you will get wet.
- Pasifika Museum, Blok P, BTDC Nusa Dua (near Bali Collection), ☎ +62 361 774935 ([email protected]), . 10AM-6PM daily. A truly under-appreciated and poorly known attraction. It is a splendid museum, and is highly recommended for anyone interested in the art of Bali, Southeast Asia and the South Pacific region. Look for the exhibitions focused on European artists who made Bali their home, as well as renowned local painters. The Indochinese exhibition is impressive, as are the displays of Polynesian artifacts. Featuring premium artworks of well known artists from around the world such us Paul Gauguin, Theo Meier, Le Mayeur, Rudolf Bonnet, Arie Smith, Hendrik Paulides, Isaac Israel, Emilio Ambron, and many more. Rp 70,000.
- Serangan Island (Turtle Island), . Boats are available from Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa. These are usually glass-bottomed allowing observation of marine life from within the boat. As the name suggests, Serangan is a turtle conservation area. The local people keep turtle eggs in traditional conservation houses until they hatch and then the youngster are released from local beaches. Besides turtles, they also have reptiles, birds, snakes and bats. The sea turtles which give Serangan its popular name are not found swimming picture squely under ocean cliffs - here they are caught and sold as food. People in the Denpasar area are fond of turtle meat, especially on festival days. US$30.
Many companies in Nusa Dua offer water sports activities (banana boat, parasailing, jetski, diving, flying fish, etc). You can book directly on the beach at Nusa Dua or Tanjung Benoa, or have your hotel organise for you. All the operators work together to ensure that there is very little (if any) price difference. Expect to pay about US$25-30 for most activities.
- Blue Point Beach (pantai Suluban), jalan pantai suluban,ungasan, . This beach is less prestigious than Kuta, Sanur or Nusa Dua. But if you have visited this beach, you'll surely be fascinated with the exoticism of this offer. My suggestion is to try a visit to the beach and you will not waste your time. If you want to see the beach from the top, the café area has a great vantage point. But if you want to enjoy the sensation of clear water, you can go down the steps to the beach. To reach this beach, you have to walk down past the rather steep hill derivative, through a gap of two cliffs. Physical beaches with white sand is similar to his brother: Padang-padang beach and Dreamland beach. After reaching the shore, you'll enjoy its beauty because the beach is surrounded by a wall of rock that juts into such caves, and large rocks that you can sit on while looking at the scenery. The high rocks surrounding the beach and the notches are indented, making it an attractive beach viewed from any angle.
- Pandawa Beach (Hidden Beach), Jalan kutuh,north kuta (near uluwatu temple), . Pandawa Beach is located in Kutuh Village, South Kuta District, Badung Regency; around 3 km from the famous Nusa Dua area and Uluwatu Temple. In the past, this beach was hidden behind a hill so it was called Secret Beach. Secret Beach was actually known well by some tourists. However, the difficult access to this location made this beach empty. The few visitors that did go were either foreign surfers or domestic tourists. admission tickets : IDR 10.000.
Nusa Dua Golf and Country Club.
- Nusa Dua Golf and County Club, Kawasan Wisata, Nusa Dua, ☎ +62 361 771791 ([email protected]), . Tee times 6AM-4PM daily. One of three top notch golf courses in Bali, and perhaps the most popular of them all due to its convenient location. Any hotel will be able to arrange a round for you - ask about packages on offer as these can save you a lot of money. Booking a tee time is very important on this very busy course.
Unsurprisingly, Nusa Dua is home to many good quality spas. If you are staying at a luxury resort, then you will certainly have access to in-house spa and treatment facilities.
- Alam Alang Bali Spa, Jln Mahardika No10X, Mumbul, ☎ +62 361 771799/7447453 (fax: +62 361 771799), . 11AM-9PM daily. Facilities: Balinese creambath, stone massage, Balinese mandi lulur, Ayurvedic, facial, oil head massage.
- Spa Sekar Jagat, Jl Bypass Nusa Dua, ☎ +62 361 770210, . 9AM-10PM daily. Authentic Balinese massage and spa treatments.
- Tamara Spa Bali, Jl Bypass Ngurah Rai, No 999A, Jimbaran, ☎ +62 361 9174533 ([email protected]), . 9AM-5PM daily. Body care salon offering body scrub, beauty treatments and various spa packages.
- Thalasso Bali Spa, Jl. Pratama 74, Tanjung Benoa, P.O.Box 43, Nusa Dua 80363, Bali Indonesia, ☎ +62361773883 ([email protected]), . 9am-10pm Daily. In front of the beach, it offers wide range of Thalasso and spa treatments.
A large swathe of the Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa beachfront is connected via a nice walking path, and morning walks here are especially recommended. The footpath runs from just in front of the Ayodya Resort in the south for about 7 km north to the Grand Mirage on the Tanjung Benoa spit. This passes by two obvious spits, both of which host temples.
Nusa Dua offers many watersport activities such as banana boating, jetskiing, parasailing, scuba diving and so on.
- Bali Gothic Tour (Bali Private Tour), jln dewi sri nusa dua .bali (Bali private tour), ☎ +6281338349417, . 18. Bali Private Driver provide tour around nusa dua to do activities watersport tanjung benoa, GWK,uluwatu temple,Balangan beach and dinner at jimbaran bay. IDR 400.000.
There are not too many quality restaurants in Nusa Dua outside of the luxury hotels. The main Jalan By Pass which connects Nusa Dua to Jimbaran, the airport and Kuta is the home of a large number of Japanese and other Asian restaurants aimed at tour groups. Generally, these are best avoided.
- Benoa Cafe, Jl Pratama No 71A, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 8882720, . noon-10PM daily. Hungarian Restaurant. Reasonable prices and highly recommended. Call for free pick-up in the Nusa Dua and Tanjung Benoa area.
- Bumbu Bali, Jl Pratama, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 774502, . noon-11PM daily. Bali’s first authentic Balinese five star restaurant. On the menu you will not find Balinese food commonly served in hotels and tourist restaurants, as the aim is to serve Balinese food the way you find it prepared in Balinese homes or during traditional ceremonies. An all round top quality dining experience here and highly recommended.
- Nusa Dua Beach Grill, Geger Beach (just west of the Nusa Dua enclave reached via a small turning south off the main road to the Nikko Hotel). A great long-established dining option on a dreamy white sand beach. One of the few quality options to dine outside of hotels in the Nusa Dua area.
- Lotus Garden, at the entrance of Nusa Dua Resort, ☎ +62 361 773378, . 8AM-11PM daily. Link of a popular chain in Bali, Lombok and Singapore.
- Bawang Merah, Jl By Pass Ngurah Rai Nusa Dua, Mumbul, ☎ +62 361 7453540, . noon-11PM daily. Balinese speciality restaurant.
Nusa Dua does not have much of a nightlife. It is known more for its luxurious 5-star resorts where cocktails on the beach are the go.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under US$ 25
|| US$ 25 to 125
|| Over US$ 125
There is little accommodation in Nusa Dua outside of the luxury price range although many of the large resorts do offer very substantial reductions in the low season; always check.
- Rasa Sayang Beach Inn, Jl Pratama,Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 771643 ([email protected]). A simple but well located hotel on the main Tanjung Benoa strip. From about Rp 200,000.
- Langon Bali Resort and Spa Nusa Dua, Jln. Dharmawangsa, Kampial, Nusa Dua, Bali, ☎ +62-821 4659 8951 ([email protected], fax: +62-361-774821), . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. Langon Bali Resort and Spa is an exclusive retreat, healing treatment, yoga that invites guests to experience authentic Balinese hospitality blended with international standard of accommodation that still gives great value for money. Contemporary styled hotel with panoramic views from the highest point of a hills. Our property is minimalist in architecture and an elegantly decorated luxury hotel, tucked into the contours of a scenic hillside on the highest point of hill in Bali. It is blessed with the most outstanding wide angle views in Bali. From about $65.
- Manuh Home Stay, Jalan Gunung Payung 10, Desa Kutuh, Bukit, ☎ +6285338491991 ([email protected]). Budget accommodation just 1000 m from the entrance track to Pandawa beach. Beautifull landscape, calm, quite, balinese village stay, clean, friendly owner, more discount for long stay hot water and wifi included. This place quite famous for surfer & paraglider,breakfast,cooking class and family dinner held weekly with long staying guest.Only 5 minutes riding a bike to Gunung Payung paragliding site and Pandawa Beach-Kutuh. Rp 150,000.
- Bali Tropic Resort and Spa, Jl Pratama 34a, ☎ +62 361 772130 ([email protected]), . A 3/4 star beach front resort on the Tanjung Benoa strip. From Rp 950,000.
- Goodway Hotel, Jl Dalem Tarukan No 7, Taman Mumbul, ☎ +62 361 773808 ([email protected]), . The resort offers a spa, large swimming pool, karaoke, jacuzzi, beauty parlor, shops and fitness area. It also has a sunken bar in the swimming pool and a restaurant and bar. This property is a five minute ride north of the Nusa Dua enclave. From US$ 75.
- The Puri Nusa Dua, Jalan Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, Sawangan, Nusa Dua, 80363 Bali, Indonesia, ☎ +62 361 8465750, . The Puri Nusa Dua in Bali, Indonesia is a place to soak in not only the beauty of the tropics but also utmost comfort and lingering luxury. Each room and suite comes with cable TV, free Wi-Fi, in-room safe, air-conditioning, and non-smoking rooms. Some of its facilities and services are wellness centre, restaurant, bar, ceremonial venue, ballroom, function rooms, airport transfer, carpark, valet, express check-in/check-out, concierge, currency exchange, outdoor pool, 24-hour front desk, and room service.
There are many deluxe hotels in the area and more are constantly being constructed.
- Aman Nusa, ☎ +62 361 772333 ([email protected]), . A truly top class resort from the Aman group, and one of the best luxury hotels in the whole of Bali. Relatively few visitors will want to spend the money required to stay here, but if you want to splurge on a meal at a super luxury resort, then you could do a lot worse than Aman Nusa. The restaurant serves great food and has fabulous views all the way across to Nusa Penida. From US $750.
- “Holiday, “Jl, ☎ + 62 361 8947888 ([email protected]), . The latest addition to the upscale family resorts in Bali, Holiday Inn Resort Bali Benoa offers 171 rooms & suites. This family resort provides signature kids themed rooms, spacious family suites, rooms with pool access, signature kids club, 4 swimming pools, pool bar, beach bar and much more.
- Ayodya Resort Bali, ☎ +62 361 771102 ([email protected], fax: +62 361 771616), . Set amongst lush tropical gardens with a large lagoon style pool and world class golf course. Offers a wide selection of restaurants and activities. (-8.798878,115.220006)
- The Bale, Jl Raya Nusa Dua Selatan (on the western side of Nusa Dua), ☎ +62 361 775 111 ([email protected]), . The Balé is a boutique five star hotel with just 29 pavilions, each with their own private swimming pool and modern, fashionable interiors. The notably good restaurant is open to non-residents. From US$600.
- The Bali Khama, Jl Pratama, Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 774912, . The Bali Khama is on the Tanjung Benoa spit. Several different room types from garden suites to self-contained villas. All rooms are air-conditioned, have a mini-bar, deck/balcony, hot water shower with bathtub, safe and high-speed internet access. From US$200.
- Grand Hyatt Bali, ☎ +62 361 77 1234 ([email protected]), . checkin: noon; checkout: 3PM. This hotel was beginning to show its age but a recent refurbishment has returned it to top form. Has 6 swimming pools, a sports centre and a spa. From US$160.
- Heavenly Residence, Jl Gunung Payung, Sawangan, ☎ +62 361 7801166 ([email protected]), . Waterfront private luxury 3 and 4 bedroom villas with 24-hour butler service. Five minutes' drive west of Nusa Dua set on a spectacular cliff-front. Good for people who want total privacy and have no budgetary constraints. From US$840.
- The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, ☎ +62 361 771327 ([email protected], fax: +62 361 771326), . Rooms and suites set in a tropical garden landscape. Direct beach access, vast swimming lagoons, spa and butler service. From US$350.
- Melia Bali, ☎ +62 361 771510 ([email protected]), . Excellent spa facilities, watersport activities, newly equipped fitness centre, jogging track, table tennis, Balinese cabaret shows, shopping arcade and large lagoon style swimming pool. Also offers private villas with their own pool. From about US$150.
- Nikko Bali Resort, Jl Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, ☎ +62 361 773377 ([email protected]), . Five-star resort about five minutes west from the main Nusa Dua enclave. Offers everything from jungle style lagoon pools with water slide, beautiful spa set among its gardens, camel rides and even a ropes course for childen. Has its own private beach with beachside dining as well. Very popular with Japanese tour parties. From US$150.
- Novotel Nusa Dua, ☎ +62 361 8480555 ([email protected]), . This apartment style hotel is surrounded by the Nusa Dua Golf Course. Includes a lagoon-style pool, beach club, kids club, spa and a restaurant. They take environmental considerations seriously, and are Green Globe certified. From US$106.
- Nusa Dua Beach Hotel, ☎ +62 361 771210 ([email protected]), . Five-star resort which is a bit old and tired but still with good faciltiies. Several swimming pools, spa, kids club, cultural, recreational and water sport activities available. From US$140.
- Sekar Nusa Villas (Sekar Nusa Villas), Jl Raya Nusa Dua Selatan, Sawangan, ☎ +62 361 773333 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. Sekar Nusa is a low key luxury resort. All of the one and two bedroom villas are spacious, and are furnished with antique wood furniture. Suited to golfers and honeymooners and as a wedding venue. From US$225.
- Sunset Villa, Tanjung Benoa (Turn left at Bumbu Bali Two), ☎ 61299539065, . An waterfront villa with private jetty and boat in a quiet setting only minutes from shops and hotels 575 USD.
- St Regis Bali Resort, ☎ +62 361 8478 111, . The latest addition to the luxury hotel market in Bali and one which has created something of a stir. Private villas and regular rooms available. This is a very grand and stylish hotel indeed. From US$475.
- Westin Resort, ☎ +62 361 771906 ([email protected]), . This resort has a fantastic kids club that has Play Station, mini playground and musical instruments. The rooms are big, there is an in-house spa and good Japanese and western dining options. For those interested in healthy meals, ask for their super food menu. From US$150.
- Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Spa, Jl. Pratama 74 Tanjung Benoa, ☎ +62 361 771888 ([email protected], fax: +62361 772148), . A five star beachfront Resort, offering stay packages and complete all inclusive. From US$135. (-8.766747,115.222353)
- Uluwatu - 20 minutes to one of Bali's most famous temples and surfing spots
- Jimbaran - fantastic seafood dinner on the beach and is only 15 minutes away
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!