Northamptonshire, or Northants, is a county in England.
There are many towns within Northamptonshire but as of yet no cities. Northampton itself applied for city status at the turn of the Millennium, but lost out to Wolverhampton.
Traditionally Northampton has been a major centre of shoemaking and other leather related industries. Shoemaking has virtually ceased, though the back streets of the town still show the pattern of small shoe factories surrounded by terraced houses for the outworkers. The main industries now include distribution and finance.
- Train from Euston, London to Northampton. Takes ~ 45mins
- The famous Express Lifts Tower
- Grand Union Canal, including Blisworth Tunnel and the Stoke Bruerne Canal Museum.
- Northampton Balloon Festival
- Silverstone F1 British Grand Prix
- Althorp Estate where Princess Diana is buried.
- Best Western Rockingham Forest Corby, Rockingham Road, Corby, Northants, NN17 1AE, ☎ 01536 401348 ([email protected], fax: 01536 266383), . checkin: 2pm (early check-in by arrangement); checkout: 11am (late check-out by arrangement). Best Western hotel with rooms, meeting rooms and a restaurant. Each bedroom includes bath and/or shower, work desk, flat screen freeview TV and complimentary WiFi. Some rooms have been adapted to allow for easier access. The hotel also has a 5 o’clock club offering food and drink at reduced rates. £86.50 Mon-Thur, £67.00 Fri & Sun, Sat £75.00. Breakfast is available from £10.95..