- For other places with the same name, see North Island (disambiguation).
Hahei Beach near Coromandel
The North Island of New Zealand is warm, with scenery ranging from sandy beaches, through rolling farmland to active volcanic peaks. Although it is smaller than the South Island, it is more populous, with half of the New Zealand population living north of Lake Taupo, in the middle of the island.
There are many settlements in the North Island, here are nine of interest to the traveller.
- Auckland - "The City of Sails" and, with over a million people, the largest metropolitan area in New Zealand and Polynesia.
- Hamilton - Home of the Waikato River.
- Napier - Art Deco and wine in the sunny Hawkes Bay.
- Paihia - Main center in the historic and picturesque Bay of Islands.
- Rotorua - Famous for Maori culture, geysers and beautiful hot pools.
- Taupo - Trout fishing and adventure activities in the central North Island.
- Tauranga - On the Bay of Plenty, it is known for its great weather, sun and beach.
- Waitomo - Home of the Waitomo Caves.
- Wellington - The national capital and the second largest city in the nation - home of the Parliament and the Beehive. The Windy city (and it's not hot air).
Chateau Tongariro in Tongariro National Park
Inside the airport in Auckland, New Zealand
- Auckland - Is the primary arrival point for most people in New Zealand a large majority of those coming in through the Auckland International Airport (IATA: AKL, ICAO: NZAA) which handles 70% of all tourist air travel and is serviced by most major airlines. A significant number of people also arrive in Auckland by cruise ship.
The North Island is adequately serviced by many national bus companies.
- Newmans Coach Lines  operates a premium sightseeing tours throughout the North Island.
- InterCity Coachlines  is New Zealand's national coach company and operates over 150 services to more than 600 destinations nationwide.
- Nakedbus.com  Cheap, long distance bus service, daily services linking most towns and cities in New Zealand. Prices start at $1 plus booking fee.
Wairere Boulders, the world unique natural phenomenon of Northland
- Overnight Cruise with Bay of Islands Rock Cruises Overnight Cruise Cruise the Bay of Islands for 22 hours.