North Africa is the Northern part of the African continent.
Countries of North Africa
|| Algeria |
The second-largest country in Africa.
|| Egypt |
Home of the ancient Egyptian civilization, with its temples, hieroglyphs, mummies.
|| Libya (Tripoli)|
Large open spaces with more than 90% of the country being desert or semidesert.
|| Morocco (Rabat)|
Situated on both the North Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea.
|| Tunisia (Tunis)|
Located in the very centre of Mediterranean Africa
|| Western Sahara |
Governance is in dispute between Morocco and Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR), but the majority of the region is occupied by Morocco.
Atlantic Ocean Islands: Canary Islands (Spain), Madeira Islands (Portugal), Saint Helena (UK)
Spanish Exclaves: Ceuta, Melilla
- Alexandria — Egypt's major Mediterranean city is a pale shadow of its former glorious self but remains a major tourism site
- Algiers — the capital of Algeria with a notable medieval casbah
- Cairo — the largest city in Africa with major monuments of Ancient Egypt nearby
- Casablanca — the largest city in Morocco is of sparse interest to the traveller, but is a major transit point
- El Aaiún — the capital city of the disputed territory of Western Sahara
- Marrakech — this historic Moroccan city close to the foothills of the Atlas Mountains is an extraordinary meeting of the ancient and modern
- Tripoli — Libya's capital was long off-limits to most travellers but is experiencing a real resurgence of interest
- Tunis — the capital of Tunisia is a relatively small and sleepy city but is the gateway to the remains of Carthage and other very notable historical sites.
- Abu Simbel — a very remote area in far south Egypt, with some beautiful ancient temples
- Carthage — Phoenician colony in Tunisia and the biggest trade metropolis of the antique world; famously razed by the Romans and the remnants are now encased in a museum
- El-Oued — in Algeria with its domed architecture & nearby Grand Erg Oriental — the Sahara's second largest dune field
- Ghat - an ancient settlement in southwest Libya with prehistoric rock paintings and very challenging desert trekking
- High Atlas — hiking, skiing and Berber culture amongst these peaks and valleys in Morocco.
- Leptis Magna — extensive Roman ruins in Libya
- Matmata — desert village in Tunisia of cave abodes, where Star Wars's Tatooine was filmed
- Merzouga and M'Hamid — from either of these two settlements in Morocco at the edge of the Sahara, ride a camel or 4x4 into the desert for a night (or a week) among the dunes and under the stars
- Valley of the Kings — the great site of Ancient Egypt
There are some ferries from Italy, notably Sicily and also the Canary Islands.
See Ferries in the Mediterranean.
Avoid drinking untreated ground water.