Nikaho (仁賀保市; nikaho-shi) is a city in south western Akita prefecture.
Nikaho is directly south of Yurihonjo, and from there it's conveniently accessible by train, bus, or car.
- The Children's Ferrite and Science Museum (フェライト子ども科学館), 平沢字宝田４−１ (On the south side of Highway 7 in central Kisakata. The large glass spire-like structure is clearly visible from the road.), ☎ +81 0184-32-3150 (fax: +81 0184-32-3153), . Tu-Su 9AM-5PM. This is a small science museum. There are many hands-on exhibits involving magnets, sound, and various other topics. A few exhibits have information in English. Outside, there is a large trampoline and jungle gym. Adults ¥500, children ¥300. (39.285096,139.960907)
- Shirase South Pole Expedition Memorial Hall (白瀬南極探検隊記念館), 黒川字岩潟１５−３, ☎ +81. A memorial for Nobu Shirase, a man from Konoura, who led the first Japanese expedition to the South Pole. (39.26876,139.926352)
- Hamanasu Onsen (はまなす), 日本 秋田県にかほ市金浦中谷地２０−１ (Just SE of Highway 7 between Konoura and Kisakata. Near Nikaho High School.), ☎ +81 0184-38-2246, . 7AM-9PM. An onsen, rotemburo, and sauna. ¥300-500. (39.239433,139.913249)
- Shishigahana Wetlands (獅子ヶ鼻湿原), (Take Highway 58 SE from Kisakata about 13km from the Highway 7 junction. Located behind Nakajimadai Forest Recreation Campground.). This wetlands area is a great spot for hiking in the woods. Some of the trees here are centuries old and famous for their age. The hiking trails are mostly tree-covered, and some of the streams naturally have a slightly bluish color. The most popular route is a well-signed 5km loop. Free. (39.169847,140.024014)
- Naso no Shirataki (奈曽の白滝), 象潟町小滝大ヒド (From Highway 7 in Kisakata, take Highway 58 east for 5km, then go south on Highway 131 for 1km.), ☎ +81 0184-43-3200. This is a 26m waterfall. Not far from the waterfall is the Kinpo Shrine. Free. (39.181483,139.944041)
- Mototaki Fukuryusui Underflow (元滝伏流水), (About 2km south from Kisakata Hospital). This is a 30m wide low waterfall. The wide low waterfall creates a mist, which contrasts with the green moss. (39.163775,139.94947)
- Tsuchida Farm (土田牧場), 馬場字冬師山４−６ (On the Nikaho Plateau), ☎ +81 0184 36-2348. Mar-Dec. This farm has a restaurant that serves lamb, among other things. It also has soft-serve ice cream, as well as cheese and sausage. In a separate building, there is a small petting zoo. Outdoor benches provide nice views of the plateau and surrounding mountains. Ice cream ¥300, petting zoo free. (39.245216,140.011954)
- Nodoka (農土香), Innai, Hishikata 201-2 (South of the Nikaho Branch Office, just east of Nikaho Junior High School.), ☎ +81 0184-36-2509. The owner makes excellent food, including fresh udon, soba, rice bread, and rice bread pizza. (39.27284,139.959745)
- Sasanoi (寿し割烹うなぎ笹乃井), 平沢字新町１１−３ (Exit Nikaho Station and turn right. The restaurant is just past the JA Akita Shinsei building.), ☎ +81 0184-35-2331. This is a sushi restaurant with good sushi and friendly owners. Lunch and specials for ¥1000-1500; dinner for up to ¥5,000. (39.290402,139.964941)
- The Jolly Roger Bar (ジョリー・ロジャー), 象潟町字家ノ後２３−３９ (From Kisakata Station, go west half a block. The bar is on the north side of the road.), ☎ +81 0184-43-5227. This bar has a mild pirate theme, and is said to have very friendly staff and customers. (39.207272,139.901104)
- Ichie (いちゑ), 三森字大苗代190 (On the north side of Highway 7 between Nikaho and Konoura.), ☎ +81 0184-37-2000, . An upscale ryokan with onsen. Large rooms can be reserved for enkais. ¥12,000 for one night and two meals; specials available. (39.289671,139.942818)
- Nakajimadai Forest Recreation Campground (中島台レクリエーションの森キャンプ場), 馬場冬師山 (Take Highway 58 SE from Kisakata, turning as necessary to stay on Highway 58. This campground is about 13 km from the Highway 7 junction.), ☎ +81 0184-38-4305. This campground is located on the foot of Mt. Chokai, next to the Shishigahana Wetlands, a great hiking spot. (39.170197,140.024421)
- Sun-Nemunoki (サン・ねむの木), Kisakata, Sainokami 31 (300m S/SW of the Kisakata Michi no Eki), ☎ +81 0184-43-4960, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 10AM. This is a hotel and onsen overlooking the Sea of Japan. Rooms are Japanese style, with futon mattresses on a tatami floor. Room with 2 meals ¥7000. (39.21642,139.899328)