| || |
Revision as of 19:03, 20 May 2013
Ngwe Saung is the location of several beach resorts and a small village in the Irrawaddy region of Myanmar.
You can take a bus from Pathein or Yangon. The roads are not that good, so for the about 260 km from Yangon it will take about 6 hours, depending what bus you take. You can also go by boat from Yangon to Pathein.
The roads are better now. You can hire a car from Yangon and takes about 4.5 hours with buses, it is about 6 hours.
You may rent a bicycle or take the bicycle taxis.
The endless and quiet white sand beach, the lover's island, there is an 'elephant camp' in between Ngwe Saung and Pathein.
Go to the beach, see the local village. There is not much to do in Ngwe Saung, that's the idea. Just relax and enjoy the quiet time.
Painted umbrellas made in town or in Pathein.
- Bay of Bengal If you happen to stay at a place that is not located on the beach, the Bay of Bengal is your best bet. Perfect service and setting. Note that for 5,000 kyats a day, you can use the swimming pool facilities.
- Jasmine Restaurant Best value in town for meals US$2-5. Dare to escape your beach resort and try this fantastic restaurant. Ask for the fish of the day BBQ style accompanied with a seaweed salad. For a quiet and romantic setting, prefer the 1st floor. Fantastic owner.
- See Sar restaurant in town for meals US$2-5.
- Sunny Paradise restaurant at the resort for US$5-10. Good fare.
There is no disco, however the very modern and stylish Bay of Bengal hotel has sometimes disco like events.
- Myanmar Treasure - US$70+
- Ocean Paradise, (Next to the Sunny Paradise Resort). Same owner as Sunny Paradise Resort. More like a "deluxe" dormitory rather than a resort as the breakfast at the back of Sunny Paradise resort (5mn walk). No direct access to the sea. No restaurant (in-room service only). No swimming pool and usage of the Sunny Paradise's swimming pool is 5000 kyats. Prices as of May 2013 $75.
- Pearl Beach Resort Hotel - ~US$30
- Sunny Paradise - ~US$50-70
- Emerald Sea Resort, (1 miles south of the village), ☎ +95-42-40247, . checkin: 1:00pm; checkout: 12:00 noon. $45~ $75.
By bus: Yangon is 5 hours away. The road is reliable and the bus is comfortable. Buses depart in the morning (8:00 AM). Ticket can be purchased at a traval agency opposite the Jasmine Restaurant in town. As of May 2013, a one-way ticket to Yangon costs 9,000 kyats.
Note that the station at Yangon is about 45mn to 1h drive by taxi, which is 8,000 kyats.