Newburyport   is a lovely coastal town in Massachusetts at the mouth of the Merrimack River. It is a popular tourist destination because of its beautiful natural areas, water activities and fine dining.
- MBTA, +1-800-392-6100, , more specifically the commuter rail from Boston's North Station.
Newburyport is located at the mouth of the Merrimack River. Call the Newburyport Harbormaster at +1 978-462-3746 for specific information on your trip to Newburyport.
- Plum Island Community Airfield (IATA: 2B2 ICAO: K2B2), Plum Island Turnpike, Phone: +1 978-463-4222, . Small airfield. Scenic flights available.
- Most travelers would arrive at Boston's Logan International Airport.
- Cushing House Museum and Garden, 98 High St., +1 978-462-2681, . May-Oct, Tu-F 10AM-4PM. $5.
- Custom House Maritime Museum, 25 Water St., +1 978-462-8681. Mar-Dec, Tu-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 12PM-4PM. $5.
- Joppa Flats Education Center & Wildlife Sanctuary, 1 Plum Island Turnpike, +1 978-462-9998, [email protected], . 8:30AM-4PM. $2.
- Maudslay State Park, Curzon Mill Rd., +1 978-465-7223, . Daily 8AM-Sunset. Walking, biking, horseback riding, picnics. Former private estate with amazing gardens. Best in May and June. $2.
- Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, off Plum Island Tpke, +1 978-465-5753. .
- Newburyport Whale Watch, 54 Merrimac Street On the boardwalk, Phone: +1 978-499-0832, Fax: +1 978-463-4305, Email: [email protected], . Also dinner cruises and charters.
- Yankee Clipper Harbor Tours, 1 Merrimac Street #26, (978) 462-9316, . Jun-Oct daily. Harbor tours leaving Waterfront Park. Adults $12, Children $6. Sunset cruise 6:30PM - 8:00PM; Adults $18, childre $10.
- Yankee Homecoming Festival - Begins Last Saturday in July (2006- July 29-Aug. 6), Phone: +1 978-462-7196, . The week long celebration of the first settlers to the Newburyport area. It features an art show, an antique car show, boat parade, the "Bed Race", a fireworks show, and, of course a parade on the last Saturday of the festival. There are concerts every night at the waterfront park.
- Plum Island Kayak, 38R Merrimac, Unit 102B, Phone: +1 978-462-5510, . Instruction or guided river, wildlife refuge, full moon or Isle of Shoals tours.
- Atlantis Charter, 18 Russell Terrace, Phone: +1 978-463-7765, . Charter (fishing, whale watching, etc.) 6 passengers.
- Coastal Discoveries, 55 Hay Street, Phone: +1 978-462-8859, . Marine environmental education program. Charterboats for fishing, evening cruises, etc.
- Full Moon Classic Yacht Charters, 253 Low Street, Suite 305, Phone: +1 978-463-3388. Certified for up to 49 people year round. Summer only.
- Lady Diane Charters, 68 Curzon Mill Road, +1 617-594-8142, [www.ladydianecharters.com]. Lady Diane Charters offers Bass, Bluefish & Mackerel fishing, whale watching, dive charters and scenic cruises from May 15 through October 15.
- Tunacious Sportfishing Charters, Hilton’s Marina, Merrimac St., Phone: +1 978-462-8862, . Sportfishing charters aboard a 33' Blackfin for Giant Bluefin Tuna, Sharks, Cod, Haddock, Striped Bass and Bluefish.
- Agave Mexican Bistro, Phone: +1 978-499-0428, . Authentic Mexican restaurant on three floors, each with its own atmosphere.
- Aquatini, 27 State Street, Phone: +1 978-463-8266, . Dinner W-Su 5PM-?; Lunch Th-Su 11:30AM-3PM. Great food and drinks.
- The Black Cow, 54 Merrimac St # R Phone: +1 978-499-8811, . Comfortable and classy waterfront location with a diverse menu. Moderately priced: Appetizers, $5 — $14; entrées, $9 - $25
- Gallery and Grille, 26 Market Square, Phone: +1 978-463-7411, . Sun-Thur 11:30-8PM; Fr,Sa 11:30AM-9PM. Hours reduced in winter. Nice casual atmosphere with art displayed. $10-$17.
- The Grog, 13 Middle Street, Phone: +1 978-465-8008, . Daily 11:30AM-10PM. Dinner $10-$20.
- Rosie O'Sheas Irish House, 84 State Street, Phone: 978-499-0606, Fax: 978-499-2257, .
- The Purple Onion, 44 Inn St., Phone: +1 978-465-9600, . M-F 11:00AM-8PM. Sa-Su 11AM-4PM. (Closed Sun. in off season.) Fun, funky, different stuff.
- Wild Bites, 65-A Market St., Phone: +1 978-388-2777, . Creative Italian. $12-$30.
- Plum Island Grill, Phone: +1 978-463-2290, . M-Th 5PM-9PM, F,Sa 4PM-9:30PM, Su 4PM-8PM. Great views to go with the excellent food and service. Year round.
- Glenn's Restaurant and Cool Bar, 44 Merrimac Street, Phone: +1 978-465-3811, . Tu-Su 5:30PM-?. Acclaimed chef.
- Bluwater Cafe, 140 High Street, Phone: +1 978-462-1088, Fax: +1 978-462-5265. Daily 5PM-11PM. Best choice for fish.
- Newburyport Lighthouse, 61 1/2 Water St., +1 800-727-BEAM, . Climb the 55 stairs to the top of this lighthouse, then select (for delivery) from multi-course gourmet meals offered by Newburyport's finest. Reservations required months ahead. $375 per couple, all you can eat, includes membership in The Lighthouse Society (with possible tax deductibility). Bring your own liquor.
- Upstairs at Michael's Harborside, One Tournament Wharf, Phone: +1 978-462-7785, . 11:30AM-1AM.
- The Essex Street Inn, 7 Essex Street, Phone: +1 978-465-3148, Fax: +1 978-462-1907, Email: [email protected], . 27 rooms.
- Morrill Place Inn, 209 High St., 978-462-2808 or 888/594-4667. FAX: 978/462-9966. 9 rooms, 5 with bath
- Garrison Inn, 11 Brown Square, 978-499-8500, . 24 rooms in 1809 inn.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!