| || |
| || |
Revision as of 13:08, 20 September 2013
Negombo is a city in Sri Lanka.
Katunayake airport (CMB) is closer to Negombo than Colombo. Most Hotels arrange pick up but at a very high cost (around 1500 to 2500 LKR). An official airport taxi costs 1450 LKR, book at one of the counters in the departure lounge.
A cheaper option is to take the free shuttle bus (exit the airport, turn left and walk until the shuttle bus stop at the end of the building) from the Arrival Terminal to Katunayake bus stop which is just 5 minutes away from the airport. Then take a tuk-tuk to your hotel in Negombo for 400 to 500 LKR or take a regular bus to Negombo centre for around 50 LKR.
Tuk Tuk (Three wheelers) 150 LKR from the Negombo Bus/Train Station to any hotel at lewis Place.
There is not much to see in Negombo just a long strip of Sandy Beach, sit back, relax, sun bath or take a dive in to the Indian Ocean but the water is mostly rough.
- sea joy, lowis place st. next to no.189. good local food and lovely service! if you ask they can make hoppers and pittu! the guest house rooms are nice and very clean. cheap.
- The Peacock (The Peacock), 125 Lewis Place. A friendly bar with various drinks and wooden benches and stools and a wall written with greetings and recommendations. Also serves food. Drinks from Rs200.
- Dions Guest House (Dions Guest House), 137 Lewis Place (50 meters from the beach, close to famous Beach Villa Guest House), ☎ +94 312237373, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 12:00. A comfortable 'home away from home' -type guest house with friendly staff, spotless rooms and free WiFi. All rooms have spacious private bathrooms and a television. Free pickup from Bandaranaike International Airport. With/without A/C and breakfast Rs5500/4500 (January 2013). (7.227755,79.840671)
- Star Beach Hotel, 83/3 Lewis Place (The hotel is on the beach (beside Golden Star Beach Hotel, Opposite Ocean View Tourist Guest House.), ☎ +94 (0) 31 2222606 / 531082, . Older hotel with beach front access, a nice sitting area, hammocks, and free WiFi. Friendly staff and new owners who are currently improving the hotel (May 2013). Throw back a couple glasses of arrack with the owners, they're fun to talk to. Non-air conditioned room ground floor 2450 Rupiya, clean and simple rooms. Air conditioned rooms first floor 7000 Rupiya..
- St. Lachlan Hotel & Suites, St. Lachlans Beach Villa, St. Anthony's Lane, Ettukala, ☎ 0094 (11) 4766350, . The hotel comprises of 16 elegantly appointed guest rooms and Suites, all of which have LED TV, DVD Player, mini-bar, and tea/coffee making facilities. Some of its amenities are a pool bar, swimming pool, and a gift/souvenir Shop. Rates on official website start at USD 176.00.
- Marine Tourist Guest House, 118 Lewis Place (1 km from the city center), ☎ +94 715641827, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. 1,500.
- Mr Silal Fernando Homestay, Just outside Negombo, ☎ +94 31 2222481. Mr Fernando is an amicable gentleman who runs this small homestay. He offers airport pickups for 800 rupees. Meals available. Sgl 1000, Dbl 1500 With A/C 2500.
- Windmill Hotel, (On Beach Rd, close to Topaz Beach Hotel). The rooms here are pretty basic and could be cleaner, but the staff are friendly. As of September 2012 the hotel was halfway through putting in a pool. Family room 4500.
- Suriya Arana, 92 Park Lane (One block back from Beach Road, close to shops and restaurants), ☎ +94 71 4151511, . This is a small guesthouse with an apartment, large family room and two double rooms. The rooms are clean, there is WiFi, and the owners are helpful. Meals, tours and airport pickup are available. Prices vary according to season - we had a family room for 5000R (September 2012).
- Hostel Negombo Beach, 42, Kannattha Para, (Cemetery Road), ☎ 0312239308, . Amazing new and cheap place with super nice lady, great to meet other travelers, clean toilets, new house, superfast WIFI, free kitchen and very near the beach. Basic meals of fried rice/noodles can be arranged for 200 LKR. There is no sign at the door yet, so you have to check for the house at the number 42 (it's near by Blue Horizon hotel) 1200LKR dorm. (7.232252,79.843032)
- Blue Horizon Guest House, 81 Cemetary Road, Kudapaduwa, Negombo, ☎ +94 0312233078, . Clean and comfortable. Rooms have TV and hot water. Free wifi. Free tea and coffee in the lobby. single/double with AC: $33/38.50.
- Villa Flywing Guesthouse, 72/A Cemetary Road, ☎ +94 0773455415. New homestay that feels like crashing with messy relatives. Fun vibe. Big sunny rooms with private bathroom (hot water). There is a kitchen that guests can use, as well as free wifi. Call Gayan Randeni for more pricing. Double: $30 (with AC and breakfast).
- Dorset Guest House, 70/1A Cemetary Road, Kudapaduwa, Negombo, ☎ +94 031-2237775; +94 072-4747087, . Free wifi. Rooms have private baths with hot water. This guesthouse has a split personality: the rooms vary in quality so ask to see them. There are cheaper rooms available for 1800 LKR but they are damp and dark, whereas the rooms upstairs are bright, sunny, and very clean. Tell Don (the manager) that you got these rates off wikitravel: Single with fan/AC: 2100/2400 LKR; Double with fan/AC: 2200/2500 LKR; Triple: 2400 LKR..
- Sha Residence, 80 Cemetary Road, ☎ +94 077-7488746; +94 077-7205828, . Free Wi-Fi. Rooms have cable TV and private bathrooms with hot water. Clean, bright, and sunny rooms. A friendly manager named Pria. Reception is currently being renovated, but don't let the mess fool you. Single with fan/AC: $10/15. Double with fan/AC: $25/30. Triple with fan/AC: $35/40. Can provide breakfast for an additional $5..
Beach Monkey Hostel - a newly opened hostel with both dorms and private rooms available. Large outdoor verandah to hang out on. 100m from beach. Extremely clean and extremely helpful staff. Perfect for individual travelers or groups. Free wifi and approx 8km from the airport so great as an arrival or departure destination. 0777 106 988. Rooms approx 5USD per night. Highly recommended.
Airport: Buses leave the main Negombo Bus Stand every 30 mins. The journey costs about 40 LKR. Last bus from Negombo to the airport goes around 18:30.
Colombo: Buses leave the main Negombo Bus Stand every 30 mins. The journey costs 75 LKR and lasts 30 minutes, depending on the traffic.