Nanchang (南昌; Nánchāng) is the capital of Jiangxi Province and is the cultural, economic and scientific center of Jiangxi.
With deep historical ties, known as Heroes' City because it was here that the communist uprising of 1 August 1927 began.
Nanchang Airport has regular connections from many Chinese cities.
Taxis and buses are the most popular ways of getting around, bus journeys being ¥1 regardless of distance traveled (¥2 for the doubledecker buses). The taxi fare in Nanchang is also cheap compared to other cities in China with same scale and the initial starting price for a ride on taxi is ¥6 up to 2 kilometers. Beyond this mandatory starting-price-region, the rate is ¥1.9 per kilometer. It should also be noted that the taxi fare has an additional 20% surcharge in the nocturnal time period between 11:00pm and 5:00am to compensate for the low demand at night. However you will probably find that during peak times both buses/taxis are nearly impossible, at which point either walking or cycling are the only options (there is nowhere to rent bikes in Nanchang).
Metro was opened at December 2015 (Line 1). Number of stations 24 (2015). Length 28.7 km.
If visiting during the summer a bicycle is a good investment, at ¥110 from WalMart beside Bayi Square. Just like other typical Chinese cities, there are many cycle lanes covering the entire city, busy nearly all the time.
- Bayi Monument, (In the city centre). edit
- Pavilion of Prince Teng (滕王阁). One of the Four Great Towers of China and setting for the famous poem Téngwáng Gé Xùjì by Wang Bo during the Tang Dynasty. ¥50. edit
- The Star of Nanchang (南昌之星). Formerly the world's tallest ferris wheel, with a height of 160 meters. edit
- Sheng Jin Tower (绳金塔). Buddhist temple South of the downtown. edit
Buy a bike for ¥300 at Beijing Lu, ca 200 meters off Ba Yi Square and discover the city on two wheels.
- Zhongshan Road (中山路). edit
- Le Bistro 100, 100 Rongmen Road (A short walk from behind Gloria Hotel), ☎ +86 791 6100100. open 7 days a week 11AM-9:00PM. Small European style restaurant in the heart of Nanchang. Serving European bistro fare in relaxed environment. Friendly English speaking service staff. Popular with ex-pats and locals alike. edit
- Cafe Roma, 129 Fuhe North Road, ☎ +86 791 6691101. open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner 11AM-10:30PM; Saturday and Sunday 10AM-11:30PM; brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. Very nice Italian restaurant. It is like something that you would expect in Shanghai or Beijing. Very nice Italian style pizzas without the Shanghai price. They serve nice pastas and charcoal grilled steaks and fish. Popular with the ex-pats and locals alike. They offer a non-smoking dining room with smoking area around the bar. It has the largest selection of cocktail in Nanchang. edit
- City Pavilion, Fuzhou Branch Rd (Near Fuzhou Road intersection. The sign has English in it, so you can't miss it). Great local food. Very popular with locals, so you know you're getting a great feed. While there's no English menu, there's a big picture menu on the wall which they'll ask you to point to, while they take your order. Prices are excellent for the quality (e.g. 25RMB for duck). edit
- Star Bar & Restaurant ( 星空主题西餐酒吧 ), 1 Castle Lake (it located in the one of the Wanda Plaza's buildings), ☎ +86 0791-86239970. European style restaurant situated in Wanda Plaza. Suitable for foreigners. edit
- Understand that Nanchang cuisine (and Jiangxi food in general) can be quite spicy. Some specialties include a clay pot soup called waguan tang (瓦罐汤), one of the few foods that isn't spicy at all, and Nanchang ban fen (南昌拌粉), a local type of fried vermicelli. An excellent place to try a wide variety of local street food is the night food street close to Jiangxi Normal University of Science and Technology (江西科技师范) in Honggutan on Yuping Road (玉屏西大街). Facing away from the school towards KFC, walk one block right.
There seem to be two main areas for drinking. On the main walking street in the upscale apartment complex there are 3-4 bars and a few clubs, all of which are hopping on the weekends. Another area is found around fuzhou road, there is VV club, and CD 1925.
- Robot Head, (Near Bayi Lake). Interesting bar/club with multiple floors and clubbing rooms. edit
- CD 1925, Fuzhou Road. Interesting bar that has four different rooms laid out like a labyrinth. If you are drunk it makes for a terribly confusing night. edit
- Bar Newz, 112-113 Heng Mao, Star-walk, DingGong Rd. A friendly western style bar serving all the usual beers and some imported beers and larger, cocktails by the dozen and real western bar snacks, the ones you are missing while your here in China. Open lunch time to late. edit
- JD´s Bar (JD´s Nanchang), Nan Hu Lu no.28 (Minde Lu), ☎ 07916760173, . A German owned Bar. edit
- Jin Du Crow Hotel Brazilian BBQ Restaurant, Heng Chan Lu, 99, ☎ 86429999. Jin Du Crown Hotel Brazilian Restaurant, is located on hart of downtown. Buffet service and Brazilian BBQ, Brazilian Live Music for fair price. edit
- Bossa Nova Cafe (Brazilian Bar), 5, Nan Hu lu - closed to Min De lu (neer by Ba Yi Park). The only Brazilian bar of Nan Chang. Brazilian snacks, South American Drinks, more then 10 beer's brand, wines from Chile, Portugal, France, Italy and Spain. Brazilian fruits cocktails. Fair price and friendly service. edit
- Galactic Peace International Hotel (嘉莱特和平国际酒店; Jiāláitèhépíng Guójì Jiǔdiàn), 10 Guangchang South Road, Donghu District (东湖区广场南路10号; Dōnghúqū Guǎngchǎngnánlù) (Close to the railway station), ☎ +86 791 6111118 (fax: +86 791 8865088), . Five star hotel with four star hotel prices. Large rooms with free internet. Do not forget to try the pool and sauna. Listed rates for doubles from ¥1,080, discounted from ¥468, breakfast ¥50. edit
- Jiangxi Hotel, Bayi Avenue (a short walk from Bayi Square). There are two hotels by this English name on the same short stretch of the street. Five star Jiangxi Binguan (江西宾馆) is better than four star Jiangxi Fandian (江西饭店), which probably gets its four star rating from facilities that it keeps permanently closed. Jiangxi Binguan is famous as one of the top ten architectures in Nanchang. Jiangxi Fandian was established in 1961, and although renovated in 2004, feels like it was renovated to 1960's standards. Around ¥500. edit
- Gloria Grand Hotel Nanchang (南昌凯莱大饭店), 39 North Yanjiang Road (Yanjiang Bei Dadao),Nanchang. The Gloria Plaza Hotel Nanchang (Kailai Dafandian) is strategically located in the city center, just 25 minutes from the airport, 12 minutes from the railway station and within walking distance from major commercial complexes. The hotel's 328 rooms and suites are all tastefully furnished and outfitted with individually controlled air-conditioning, satellite television, internet data port, international direct-dial telephone, mini-bar, in-room safe and hair-dryer. edit
Pickpockets are everywhere, especially near Zhongshan Road area. They can steal things even from your shirt pocket! Never leave your belongings unattended in restaurants or shops, even if it is a upper-class one. Apart from that, the city is quite safe.
Nanchang is a good place to start other trips in Jiangxi Province. It has good connections with Lushan, Jingangshan, Jingdezhen, Wuyuan etc.
Famed Lushan is about two and a half hour bus ride to the north.