Mussoorie is a city in Uttaranchal.
Mussoorie, with its green hills & varied flora & fauna, is a fascinating hill resort. Commanding a wonderful view of extensive Himalyan snow ranges to the northeast, & glittering views of the Doon Valley, Roorkee, Saharanpur & Haridwar to the South, the town presents a fairyland atmosphere to the tourists. Its history dates back to 1827 when Captain Young, an adventurous military officer, explored the present site & laid the foundation of this holiday resort which now has few rivals. Mussoorie is famous for its scenic beauty and hectic social life. It provides all kinds of amusement & every facility for domestic & foreign tourists.
- Mussooorie is conveniently connected by road to Delhi & by rail to other major Cities & is the "Gateway" to Yamunotri & Gangotri shrines of Northern India which are very important pilgrimage places for the Hindus of India".
At an altitude of over 6000 ft (2000m), Mussoorie is a popular retreat from the heat of the plains. Be prepared for the cold if you come in the Winter (Dec-Feb), when you can expect freezing weather and snow. The monsoon arrives in July and stays through mid-September.
- Bus Buses leave from Dehradun train station. There are two buses which go to opposite ends of the Mussoorie Mall, Library and Picture Palace. It is quite a hike from one to the other, so make sure you catch the right one.
- Taxi It is possible to hire a taxi for the trip up to Mussoorie. Rates should be around 500-600 Rupees.
For the most part you will want to get around on foot. The Mall is closed to most vehicles.
- Bicycle Rickshaw A relatively flat section of the Mall allows a fleet of rickshawalas to ply their trade. You can catch a ride from the Library end of the Mall to about the midpoint.
- Taxi Within Mussoorie, Taxis are not very useful. If you are heading up to Landour with your luggage, it would be wise to catch a ride. They can also be hired for outings to places such as Kempty Falls or Happy Valley. There are taxi stands at both ends of the Mall. Many locals offer 'taxi' services, and if you are staying longer you will likely find these (slightly cheaper) alternatives.
- Kempty Falls About 15 km from Mussoorie, this now over-built spot is a popular tourist destination. Catch a taxi from the Library stand.
- Happy Valley A couple kilometers from the Library end of the Mall, Happy Valley is a 5,000 strong Tibetan settlement. This is a beautiful spot for a short hike. Taxis and possibly bicycle rickshaws ply this route.
- Landour Language School (About 2km above Landour Bazaar) The school offers classes in Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit and the local dialect of Garhwali. http://www.landourlanguageschool.org/
- FastTrack Cyber Cafe (Opp. Clarks Hotel, Mall Road, Tel: 0135-2632154) Over here, you can get in touch with your family and friends through email or chat. You can also copy your pictures on CD's and get them printed as well.
- FastTrack Gaming Cafe (Opp. Clarks Hotel, Mall Road, Tel: 0135-2632154) While you shop around the Mall, your kids can keep themselves occupied playing latest games. Some of the gaming consoles available here are the PlayStation2 and X-Box 360.
- Sahney Cyber Cafe (Landour, Tel: 0135-632510) If you are looking to keep in touch with the outside world, you will find well-maintained computers here.
- Tailoring Landour Bazaar is known for its many tailors, who will sew up a new outfit for you in a jiffy (well, by Indian standards). Check out Abdul Haq and Sons, run by one of the teachers at the Landour Language School and his brother.
- Cafe Coffee Day (On the Mall near the Bank of India) If you are craving a real cup of coffee, or even a cappucino, then Cafe Coffee Day is the only place in Mussoorie for you. Boasting not-quite-Western prices, this chain cafe will offer you a brief respite from the surrounding sea of chai.
- DevDar Woods (2 km above Landour Bazaar)In an old house nestled among the Devdar (pine) trees, Devdar Woods is a quiet spot with a friendly staff. You will get in shape hiking down to town and back. They have great pizza. There is also a discount to students at the Landour Language School. Contact Mr. Anil Prakash, Sister's Bazar, Mussoorie, Uttaranchal. Phone: +91 135 2632644 / 2632544. email: [email protected]
- Broadway (Kulri Bazaar) Phone: +91 135 634423. Although Broadway is very close to the Mall and all its attractions, it is located in a quiet spot (except for the call to prayer from the nearby masjid) overlooking the valley. It offers reasonable rates, and friendly staff.
- Country Inn Mussorie Kincreg, Dehradun Tel: (+91)- (0135)-2631 196 Credit cards: not accepted Tariff: Rs 1,150 (non air-conditioned double room), Rs 1,650 (air-conditioned double room), Rs 1,850 (suite)
- Honeymoon Inn - The Mall Tel: (+91)-(0135)- 2632 378 Tariff: Rs 1,100 (single room), Rs 1,300 (double room).
- G. Dass & Co. (Opp. Clarks Hotel, Mall Road, Tel: 0135-2632154): G. Dass & Co. is the oldest photography shop in Mussorie. Located centrally on the Mall road, this shop offers facilities like printing photographs (digital and manual). Over here cameras are available for sale and it is one of the few places where you can get them on rent as well.