Mussoorie is a city in Uttaranchal.
Mussoorie, with its green hills & varied flora & fauna, is a facinating hill resort. Commanding a wonderful view of extensive Himalyan snow ranges to the northeast, & glittering views of the Doon Valley, Roorkee, Saharanpur & Haridwar to the South, the town presents a fairyland atmosphere to the tourists. Its history dates back to 1827 when Captain Young, an adventurous military officer, explored the present site & laid the foundation of this holiday resort which now ha few rivals. Mussoorie is famous for its scenic beauty & hectic social life. It provides all kind of amusement & every facility for domestic & foreign tourists.
- Mussooorie is convenientlyconnected by road to Delhi & by other major Cities & is the "Gateway" to Yamunotri & Gangotri shines of Northern India & one of the "Chardhams of India".
- Bus Busses leave from Dehradun train station. There are two busses which go to opposite ends of the Mussoorie Mall, Library and Picture Palace. It is quite a hike from one to the other, so make sure you catch the right one.
- Taxi It is possible to hire a taxi for the trip up to Mussoorie. Rates should be around 5-600 Rupees.
For the most part you will want to get around on foot. The Mall is closed to most vehicles.
- Bicycle Rickshaw A relatively flat section of the Mall allows a fleet of rickshawwalas to ply their trade. You can catch a ride from the Library end of the Mall to about the midpoint.
- Taxi Within Mussoorie, Taxis are not very useful. If you are heading up to Landour with your luggage, it would be wise to catch a ride. They can also be hired for outings to places such as Kempty Falls or Happy Valley. There are taxi stands at both ends of the Mall. Many locals offer 'taxi' services, and if you are staying longer you will likely find these (slightly cheaper) alternatives.
- DevDar Woods (2 km above Landour Bazaar)In an old house nestled among the Devdar (pine) trees, Devdar Woods is a quiet spot with a friendly staff. You will get in shape hiking down to town and back. They have great pizza. There is also a discount to students at the Landour Language School. Contact Mr. Anil Prakash, Sister's Bazar, Mussoorie, Uttaranchal. Phone: 91 135 2632644 / 2632544. email: [email protected]