This district, comprising of the suburbs of Chembur, Mankhurd, Govandi, and Trombay were considered the poorer cousins of the Western and Central Suburbs for various reasons. The rail connectivity was poor. Chembur is home to a chemical factory RCF which used to be (but no longer is) famous for its pollution. But this reputation has been undergoing a change in the past few years. Bombay has expanded into Navi Mumbai ("New Bombay") and the Harbour Suburbs are on the way. Road connectivity has also improved quite a bit.
This area is home to many educational institutes, including the Tata Institute of Social Sciences and many private colleges of engineering. The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) is located in Trombay.
Three stations on the Harbour line of Bombay's suburban rail network serve this area: Chembur, Mankhurd, and Govandi. Arriving from South Mumbai, the best place to catch the train is at Bombay CST, which is the starting point for Harbour (as well as Central) lines. For virtually anywhere else on the Central line, Kurla is the interchange point. The harbour line goes all the way up to Navi Mumbai, so if you are arriving from there, catching a train from Vashi or any other station on that line will also work.
The Eastern Express Highway has many exits that you can take to reach this area.
There isn't much to see here. The Chembur area has some gardens like the Diamond gardens, N G Acharya garden, or Sandu garden, but none of these by themselves provides a reason to visit the area.
- Raj Kapoor Studios.
- Trombay Bay.
- Deonar slaughter house.
- 1000 yr old Jain Temple near Govandi station.
- Biggest dumping ground at Baiganwadi.
- Bombay Presidency Golf Club Limited, Dr. Choitram Gidwani Road, Chembur, Mumbai 400 074, ☎ +91-22-5580670, +91-22-558-0198 (fax: +91-22-557-2099). There are two golf clubs in Mumbai; this is the more famous one.
- Chembur Gymkhana.
- Acres Lifestyle Club, 411-B, Hemu Kalani Marg,. For non-members also. Activities like Bowling, Pool, Video Games etc at their gaming arcade. They also have go-karting, cricket etc
- K-star Mall, (Near Diamong Garden).
- Shoppers Stop, Amar Mahal.
- Hotel Grand Central, near Chembur Station. Must try their Butter Chicken for which the restaurant is really popular. Serves both Indian and Chinese. Has a Cafe Coffee Day and Baskin Robins attached.
- Tastings, near Diamond Garden. Ice Cream parlour that's a popular place amongst locals to hang out.
- Barista, near Diamond Garden. Branch of the Barista Coffee Chain.
- The Royal Orchid. Italian, Chinese, Indian
- Cafe Coffee Day, Next to Hotel Grand Central.
- All Spice, (Acres Lifestyle Club).
- Le Cafe, (Hotel Jewel of Chembur).
- Ambrosia- the bake shop, (Near Diamond Garden, Next to Bhari petrol pump).
- Croissants Etc., (Diamond Garden).
- Wild Orchid, Royal Orchid Hotel, N.G. Acharya Marg..
- Firangi Pani, K-star Mall.
- Oasis, Deonar.
- G-Spot, (Hotel Jewel of Chembur).
- Hotel Pearl, 19th Road Corner, D.K Sandu Marg, Chembur, Mumbai 400 071, ☎ +91-22-2528 4025, +91-22-2528 4026. checkin: 24 hours; checkout: 24 hours. Rs. 1100.
- Hotel Rajhans, Opp.Chembur Rly.Station Chembur, Mumbai-400071, ☎ +91-22-5597 8090 ([email protected], fax: +91-22-2528 4058|), . Provides complimentary continental breakfast and has a restaurant "Ornament" and a wine bar.
- Royal Orchid Hotel, 83 AN.G. Acharya Marg, Chembur, Mumbai 400071, ☎ +91-22-2520 1234.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!