Mudumalai National ParkEarth : Asia : South Asia : India : Southern India : Tamil Nadu : Mudumalai National Park
The area is also being termed as Madumalai Tiger Reserve due to the presence of around 48 tigers in the Nilgiri Reserve across which tigers are free to roam. In April 2007, the Tamil Nadu state government declared Mudumalai as a Tiger Reserve, under the section 38V of the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972, in an effort to conserve the country's dwindling Tiger populations. Afterward, about 350 families living in the core area have been evicted from the park bringing 1 million rupee ($20,800) as compensation. Those residing in the 5 km of buffer area around the park were in fear that they too will be evicted but as a matter of pleasure nobody were dislodged from the buffer zone. In fact, some people in this zone were kept involved in the project as trackers and guides to enhance their income through ecotourism.
Flora and faunaEdit
There are a variety of flora and fauna. Few of the snaps are being added.
Climate is pretty much similar to Ooty
The nearest city is Gudalur
- Mudumalai is accessible via the NH - 67
- 100 km from Mysore
- 39 km from Ooty
- 3 km from Gudalur
Its good to have your own vehicle. and other choices are to get a four wheel for hire
Visit Needle rock view point, frog hill view point, chandanamalai temple and spices gardens, genepool garden, nature trek, enjoy the panoramic sceneries.
You can go for an elephant safari there and also have a jungle safari organised by the forest department
You can volunteer at local animal welfare charity IPAN, staying at their project or nearby in Masinagudi town .
Spices, tea dust, coffee powder, handicrafts Hill products, honey, Eucalyptus oils Jackfruit, mango
For a pure vegetarian people, there are some problem.
- </sleep== Rockgardens holiday resorts, mudumalai, ,email: [email protected], ph o7598487515 ,Camp Fire, Trekking,directions="12 KM from Mudumalai forest office, on the gudalur road"
- Greenwoods Nature Camp (Greenwoods Nature Camp - Offers Quality and Affordable accomodation, Jeep Safari, Camp Fire, Trekking), Thorapally, Mudmalai (2.5 Kms off Ooty Mysore Highway), ☎ 9620401689 ([email protected]), . checkin: 11:30AM; checkout: 11:00AM. Rs.750 to Rs.2500. edit
- Deep Jungle Home, Mudumalai Border, Thorapally, Gudalur Road (10 KM from Mudumalai forest office, on the gudalur road), ☎ 09900087611, 09448485160 ([email protected]), . checkin: noon; checkout: 11AM. Rs 1400 to 2500 per person including all three meals and accomdation. edit
- Jungle Bungalows, Mavanalla , Masinagudi, Mudumalai, Nilgiirs Tamilnadu, ☎ +91-8431877377 ([email protected]), . checkin: Noon; checkout: 11AM. All the bungalows have an en-suite bathroom. There is a kitchenette, common living room and verand *<sleep name="InnTheWild Wilderness Resort, Masinagudi" alt="InnTheWild, Masinagudi" address="Northern Hay Estate, Singara Post, Masinagudi Village, The Nilgiris - 643229 TN, India" directions="" phone="080 4911 4949" url="http://www.innthewild.com" checkin="1 PM" checkout="11 AM" price="Rs 6900 to Rs 8900" lat="" long="" email="[email protected]">Inn The Wild is rated the #1 specialty lodging in Masinagudi belt. It's a luxury wildlife escape in the heart of Mudumalai. Highlights : The safari, wildlife spotting around the water hole, birding at the machaan, the stay at the tree house. INR1500 to INR 14500. (11.562,76.686) edit
Bull elephants are a problem around Masinagudi. So be carefull when trekking around.