|Muang Ngoi Neua
Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province
is a small riverside village in Northern Laos
with no permanent electricity and no road access. In the last few years it has become part of the Banana Pancake Trail
with rapid construction of tourist infrastructure in response to the increasing influx of visitors. Nevertheless, it remains a low-key destination in a stunning location. Interesting treks can also be done to tribal villages in the area.
The village is only accessable by river. Take the 1-hour public boat from Nong Khiaw (daily 11:00 and 14:00, 20.000 kip) or charter one in Luang Prabang or Muang Khua.
See & Do
- Traditional Herbal Sauna - at the end of the main walk last street to the right. Free tea, hot shower included, 15,000 kip run buy a lao woman and her swedish husband. Open in beginning of Dry season.
- Ban Muang Ngoi Tours - Wooden office at the corner of the boat landing road and the main street. Offers 1/2/3 day treks with overnight stay at the surrounding tribal villages, as well as kayaking and tubing which can be combined with visits to the Cloud waterfall and Wind cave.
- Nam Ou Beach - At the end of the dry season when water is low, take a cool splash in the Nam Ou or sip from a cocktail on a bamboo stretcher
- Phetdavanh Book Exchange - Change your old books for new ones at this 2 for 1 book exchange with more than 300 titles.
- Tham Kang cave and Tham Pha Kaew cave - north of town, about 50 minutes by foot and can be found without a guide. From the main street, turn the second street left, cross the wooden bridge and soccer field and continue straight. These caves used to be a bomb shelter during the Vietnam War era. Entrance 5000 kip. Continue past the caves for about 45 minutes to reach Ban Na village for lunch.
- Ning Ning Restaurant - Left of the Boatlanding stairs take the path passing the boat office. Big open-air terrace overlooking the Nam Ou, best view in town. Open all year.
- Lattanavongsa Restaurant - Immediately left of the Boatlanding. Solid and clean. Boasts big wooden balcony and marble table seats on the grass. Open all year.
- Aloune Mai - Located halfway through the mainstreet on the right hand. Good Lao food and cold beer Lao.
- Vita Restaurant - Located after Aloune Mai on the right hand off the mainstreet, tucked away close to the river. Balcony overlooking the Nam Ou.
- Bamboo Bar - Located in the middle of the town. Look for the 'Bamboo Bar' sign with the small lights on the main street and turn right. The low thatched roof creates an intimate atmosphere and there´s a bamboo bar with seats. Open in Dry Season (December - March)
- Cheap Cheap Room - If you are after a very cheap room then ask some of the people running the restaurants, even if they don't have signs saying 'guesthouse' etc. We got a room for 2 people for 20 000 kip per night, but we did buy all our meals there but the meals were cheap cheap too.
- Phetdavanh Guesthouse & Bungalows - Newly built bungalows with private bathroom to the far left of the boat dock with comfy beds and superb view over the river. 50.000 kip off high-season. Offers 24 hour electricity generated from a nearby waterfall and has a big book collection in the Guesthouse on the main street.
- Ning Ning Bungalows - Clean wooden bungalows overlooking the Nam Ou.
- Lattanavongsa I & II - Upmarket choice. Hardwood bungalows with bathroom inside, nice garden and good restaurant. on the main street as well as close to the river. 100.000 kip + a night.
- Saylom Bungalows - Right of the boatlanding, simple bungalows with hammock. Lao owner speaks French. 50.000 kip a night.
- Rainbow Guesthouse - Recently built 3-story concrete building, easily visible from the river, tallest building in town. 50.000 kip a night.
- Riverside Bungalows - Perched left of Rainbow guesthouse, Riverside offers wooden bungalows and a hammock balcony overlooking the Nam Ou. *Warning* recent reports concerning theft and sexual harassment by the owners.
Take the public boat to Nong Kiau (every day 10:00 20.000 kip) or charter a boat to Muang Khua or Luang Prabang. Ban Muang Ngoi tours also offers 1 day jungle treks back to Nong Kiau.