[[Image:231621891_476318bae6.jpg|thumb|300px|right|Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province]]'''Muang
Ngoy Kao''' is a little backpacker's paradise with no permanent electricity and no road access. Most guesthouses are simple bamboo huts. Interesting treks can be done in the area. |+|
[[Image:231621891_476318bae6.jpg|thumb|300px|right|Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province]]'''Muang ''' is a little backpacker's paradise with no permanent electricity and no road access. Most guesthouses are simple bamboo huts. Interesting treks can be done in the area.
| || |
Revision as of 19:23, 22 November 2009
Muang Ngoi Neua is a little backpacker's paradise with no permanent electricity and no road access. Most guesthouses are simple bamboo huts. Interesting treks can be done in the area.
Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province
The village is only accessable by river. Take the public boat from Nong Khiaw (daily 11:00 and 14:00, 20.000 kip) or charter one in Luang Prabang or Muang Khua.
See & Do
- Traditional Herbal Sauna - at the end of the main walk last street to the right. Free tea, hot shower included, 15,000 kip run buy a lao woman and her swedish husband. Open in Dry season (December - March)
- Ban Muang Ngoi Tours - Wooden office at the corner of the boat landing road and the main street. Offers 1/2/3 day treks with overnight stay at the surrounding tribal villages, as well as kayaking and tubing which can be combined with visits to the Cloud waterfall and Wind cave.
- Tham Kang cave and Tham Pha Kaew cave - north of town, about 50 minutes by foot and can be found without a guide. From the main street, turn the second street left, cross the wooden bridge and soccer field and continue straight.
- Phetdavanh Book Exchange - Change your old books for new ones at this 2 for 1 book exchange with more then 400 titles.
- Ning Ning Restaurant - Left of the Boatlanding stairs take the path passing the boat office. Big open-air terrace overlooking the Nam Ou, best view in town. Open all year.
- Lattanavongsa Restaurant - Immediately left of the Boatlanding. Boasts open air terrace, solid hardwood tables and seats on the grass behind the balcony. Open all year.
- Aloune Mai - Located halfway through the mainstreet on the right hand. Good Lao food and cold beer Lao. Open all year.
- Vita Restaurant - Located after Aloune Mai on the right hand off the mainstreet, tucked away close to the river. Balcony overlooking the Nam Ou.
- Bamboo Bar - Located in the middle of the town. Look for the 'Bamboo Bar' sign with the small lights on the main street and turn right. The low thatched roof creates an intimate atmosphere and has a bamboo bar with seats. Open December/January.
- Phetdavanh Guesthouse - First house on the left on the mainstreet. Offers 24 hour electricity from a nearby waterfall and has biggest book collection in town with hammock balcony. 40.000 kip a night.
- Ning Ning Bungalows - Clean wooden bungalows overlooking the Nam Ou.
- Lattanavongsa I & II - Clean newly built upmarket bungalows with bathroom inside, on the main street as well as close to the river. 100.000 kip + a night.
- Saylom Bungalows - on the right next to the boatlanding. Simple bungalows with hammock. French speaking owner. 50.000 kip a night.
- Rainbow Guesthouse - Newly built 3-story concrete building, easily visible from the river, tallest building in town. 50.000 kip a night.
- Riverside Bungalows - Perched left of Rainbow guesthouse, Riverside offers wooden bungalows and a hammock balcony overlooking the Nam Ou. *Warning* has a bad name due to recent reports concerning theft and sexual harassment .
Take the morning boat to Nong Kiau (10:00 20.000 kip) or charter a boat to Muang Khua or Luang Prabang. Ban Muang Ngoi tours also offers 1 day jungle treks back to Nong Kiau.