[[Image:Muang Ngoi Neua Main Street2.jpg|thumb|300px|right|Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province]]'''Muang Ngoi Neua''' is a
little backpacker's paradise in [[Northern Laos]] with no permanent electricity and no road access. Most guesthouses are simple bamboo huts. Interesting treks can be done in the area. |+|
[[Image:Muang Ngoi Neua Main Street2.jpg|thumb|300px|right|Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province]]'''Muang Ngoi Neua''' is a in [[Northern Laos]] with no permanent electricity and no road access. guesthouses simple bamboo huts. Interesting treks can be done in the area.
| || |
Revision as of 02:52, 24 February 2010
Muang Ngoi Neua
Muang Ngoi Neua, Luang Prabang Province
is a small riverside village in Northern Laos
with no permanent electricity and no road access. Until recently, it was sometimes referred to as a "backpacker paradise," but rapid construction in response to the influx of tourists has brought increasing congestion and commercialization. Nevertheless, most guesthouses remain simple bamboo huts, and the location remains stunning. Interesting treks can also be done in the area.
The village is only accessable by river. Take the public boat from Nong Khiaw (daily 11:00 and 14:00, 20.000 kip) or charter one in Luang Prabang or Muang Khua.
See & Do
- Traditional Herbal Sauna - at the end of the main walk last street to the right. Free tea, hot shower included, 15,000 kip run buy a lao woman and her swedish husband. Open in beginning of Dry season.
- Ban Muang Ngoi Tours - Wooden office at the corner of the boat landing road and the main street. Offers 1/2/3 day treks with overnight stay at the surrounding tribal villages, as well as kayaking and tubing which can be combined with visits to the Cloud waterfall and Wind cave.
- Nam Ou Beach - At the end of the dry season when water is low, take a cool splash in the Nam Ou or sip from a cocktail on a bamboo stretcher
- Phetdavanh Book Exchange - Change your old books for new ones at this 2 for 1 book exchange with more then 300 titles.
- Tham Kang cave and Tham Pha Kaew cave - north of town, about 50 minutes by foot and can be found without a guide. From the main street, turn the second street left, cross the wooden bridge and soccer field and continue straight. These caves used to be a bomb shelter during the Vietnam War era. Entrance 5000 kip.
- Ning Ning Restaurant - Left of the Boatlanding stairs take the path passing the boat office. Big open-air terrace overlooking the Nam Ou, best view in town. Open all year.
- Lattanavongsa Restaurant - Immediately left of the Boatlanding. Solid and clean. Boasts big wooden balcony and marble table seats on the grass. Open all year.
- Aloune Mai - Located halfway through the mainstreet on the right hand. Good Lao food and cold beer Lao.
- Vita Restaurant - Located after Aloune Mai on the right hand off the mainstreet, tucked away close to the river. Balcony overlooking the Nam Ou.
- Bamboo Bar - Located in the middle of the town. Look for the 'Bamboo Bar' sign with the small lights on the main street and turn right. The low thatched roof creates an intimate atmosphere and there´s a bamboo bar with seats. Open in Dry Season (December - March)
- Phetdavanh Guesthouse - First house on the mainstreet. Offers 24 hour electricity from a nearby waterfall and has big book collection with hammock balcony. 40.000 kip a night.
- Ning Ning Bungalows - Clean wooden bungalows overlooking the Nam Ou.
- Lattanavongsa I & II - Upmarket hardwood bungalows with bathroom inside, on the main street as well as close to the river. 100.000 kip + a night.
- Saylom Bungalows - on the right next to the boatlanding. Simple bungalows with hammock. Lao owner speaks French. 50.000 kip a night.
- Rainbow Guesthouse - Recently built 3-story concrete building, easily visible from the river, tallest building in town. 50.000 kip a night.
- Riverside Bungalows - Perched left of Rainbow guesthouse, Riverside offers wooden bungalows and a hammock balcony overlooking the Nam Ou. *Warning* recent reports concerning theft and sexual harassment by the owners.
Take the public boat to Nong Kiau (every day 10:00 20.000 kip) or charter a boat to Muang Khua or Luang Prabang. Ban Muang Ngoi tours also offers 1 day jungle treks back to Nong Kiau.