Mount Pelion (a.k.a. Pelio or Pilio or Pelium; Greek, Modern: Πήλιο, Ancient/Katharevousa: Πήλιον) forms a hook-like peninsula between the Pagasetic Gulf and the Aegean Sea.
The mountains are entirely forested, with beech, oak, maple and chestnut trees. Pelion is a tourist attraction throughout the year: the mountain includes trails and sidewalks for walking within small and large beaches with sand or pebbles. Modern Pelio has twenty-four villages built with traditional Pelian architecture.
Located near the city of Volos, in the prefecture of Magnesia.
- North East Pelion, (Agios Ioannis, Horefto, Mouresi, Tsagkarada, Zagora)
- North West Pelion, (Afisos, Kato Gatzea, Agios Georgios Nileas, Portaria, Milies)
- South East Pelion, (Platanias, Xynovrissi, Paltsi)
- South West Pelion, (Milina, Argalasti, Trikeri, Agia Kyriaki, Paleo Trikeri)
Potistika beach near Xinovryssi, Pelio
The only way to get around is from Volos Interurban Bus Terminal ("Yperastiko KTEL") (KTEL Volou).
- Walk along the recognized hiking routes.
- Walking Holidays Greece (Walking), ☎ 6948508120, . Discover the unknown corners of the Pelion Peninsula by foot with a licensed enthousiastic guide! Day programs (also for Meteora Monasteries) and week programs.
- Argonautical Park (Water sports), (Afissos), ☎ 24210 20684, . The Argonautical Park is the ideal location to participate in all kinds of water sports like sailing, surfing and diving.
- A trip at the slopes of Mount Pelion with the famous Moutzouris, the little steamtrain. Amazing views guaranteed while travelling through the beautiful nature.
There is a good variety of beaches on Pelio. The west side to the Pagasetic Gulf has smaller sandy beaches with calm waters. Beaches on the east (Aegean) are huge sandy beaches with deep waters and sometimes big waves.
- To Trainaki, Boulevard Kala Nera. Local sweets from Pelion, ceramics, handmade art, post cards, Greek recepies books and that special gift.
- Tissaion (Cafe Bar Snacks), Boulevard (Milina), ☎ 2423065576, . Cafe Bar Tissaion is located at the boulevard of the fishing village Milina and is the perfect setting to relax among green nature and blue sea. Comfortable seats at our outside terrace invite you to find a spot next to the water. The view at the Pagastitic Gulf is one of extreme beauty with mountain scenery and the little islands Trikeri and Prasouda.
- Paris (Taverna), Boulevard (Kala Nera), ☎ 2423022745, . The well known Taverna Paris is situated at the boulevard of the seaside village Kala Nera. Two terraces give you a magnificent view over the beautiful Pagasitic Bay with the mountain scenery of the mainland. The pleasant and informal atmosphere make many locals as well as foreign visitors return time after time. Open from mid-April to October.
- Mystique, (Agria), . excellent summer choice which gathers many people from Volos. Summer hotspot!
- Cafe Bar Naftilos, Boulevard Kala Nera (right in front of the beach in the seaside village Kala Nera), ☎ 2423022329, . Every day, all year. In the summer they can be at your service with umbrella's and sun beds on the beach. All is being served with passion and a big smile.
- Santikos Mansion, Visitsa, ☎ +30-24230-86765 ([email protected], fax: +30-24230-86045), . Santikos Mansion is situated in the Centre of the Mainland of Greece at the mountain of Pelion with a dominant view of Visitsa, one of the most picturesque villages in Greece. A panoramic uninterrupted view of Mediterranean sea follows the glittering stone roofs of the village houses.
- Mikros Vorias, Portaria, ☎ +30-24280-99911 ([email protected]), . New built suites located at Portaria traditional greek village.
- Hotel Enalion, Boulevard (37010 Kala Nera), ☎ 2423023285, . Pelion attracts as being a destination for every traveler. ENALION Hotel in Kala Nera is respectfully in harmony with the scenic surroundings and connects traditional hospitality together with luxury. Studios, double rooms, suites, cafe bar, restaurant, pool, only 20 m from the sandy beach with sunbeds and umbrellas.
- Minelksa Resort, Boulevard (37010 Kala Nera), ☎ 2423022990, . Minelska Resort consists of two fully renovated, traditional mansions with in total six exclusive Suites that offer total comfort and privacy.
- PrasinoGalazio, Mouresi (East Pelion), ☎ 6988133660, . Wake up with a smile in one of the 12 beautifully decorated Suites and an endless view at the Aegean Sea!
- Hotel Ikosimo, Odos Miaoulis (37013 Milina), ☎ 2423065217, . In an area where the unlimited blue sea of the Pagasitic Gulf refreshes the eyes and where the grandeur of nature is being expressed at the bright green slopes of the mountainous Pelion peninsula, Hotel Ikosimo seals your stay with precious memories. Self-catering studios and apartments, 40 m from the sea.
- Archontiko Amalia, (37001 Zagora), ☎ 2426022232, . In the picturesque village of Zagora at the Pelion Peninsula you will find Archontiko Amalia, a 4-key accommodation, which consists of two traditional houses of 266 sq.m. at in total 2 acres of land.
- Hotel Iliovolo, (37010 Milies), ☎ 2423086777, . Hotel Iliovolo is a family-runned business and has been built in the traditional Pelioritic architectural style, with distinctive decorations of stone and wood. Rooms with and without fire place.