Morillon [http://www.ot-morillon.fr/index.php?langue=GB]- is a small mountain commune in the Haute Savoie department of the French alps. The town consists of about 500 year round residents engaged primarily in agriculture and tourist service business.
The town has a 15th century Church that has recently been remodeled, it is also home to a number of small restaurants and a gondola that links it to the Grande Massif ski areas. |+|
Morillon [http://www.ot-morillon.fr/index.php?langue=GB]- is a small mountain commune in the Haute Savoie department of the French alps. The town consists of about 500 year round residents engaged primarily in agriculture and tourist service business. The town has a 15th century Church that has recently been remodeled, it is also home to a number of small restaurants and a gondola that links it to the Grande Massif ski areas.
| || |
Revision as of 20:43, 20 April 2007
Morillon - is a small mountain commune in the Haute Savoie department of the French alps. The town consists of about 500 year round residents engaged primarily in agriculture and tourist service business. It has recently gained fame as the home town of skier Antoine Deneriaz the reigning Downhill Gold Medalist. The town has a 15th century Church that has recently been remodeled, it is also home to a number of small restaurants and a gondola that links it to the Grande Massif ski areas.
- By Road - Driving distance from Calais to Morillon 537 miles (approx 7hrs30)
From Calais, take A26 Motorway towards Reims and Troyes, then Dijon, Mâcon then ‘Autoroute Blanche’ Motorway (A40 Mâcon – Cluses) Exit Cluses Scionzier. Follow signs to Samoens. After the Chatillon pass, follow signs to Morillon. It takes approximately 15 minutes from the motorway exit to Morillon.
- By Rail - Cluses 20km - Shuttle bus to Morillon +33 450 98 07 81 or Taxi +33 450 34 90 90 www.giffre-transports.com - Cost is 27 € daytime/midweek and 35 € nights and w/e (for 1 to 4 people).
- Airports - Geneva 55km - Shuttle bus (about 62€ per pers return children 4-12 half-price)For further information on car parking, transfers, etc : www.gva.ch/en (then select Transportation in menu).
- Taxi - Tel 33 450 34 90 90, Fax 00 334 50 97 14 43 www.giffre-transports.com, e-mail: [email protected] - Cost is c € 71 daytime/midweek and c €100 nights and w/e (for 1 to 2 people) Lyon Saint-Exupery 190 km.
Morillon is quite small and once you have arrived you can easily get around on foot, however and especially if you are here in the winter and there is not enough snow to ski you will want a rental car to be able to fully enjoy the surrounding area and keep from going mad having to watch French television.
- Le Bourg: Around the St Christopher church (16th century) the school and Town Hall, the solid bourgeoise houses have now become commercial premises.
Skiing, both cross country and downhill are the primary winter sports in Morillon, the resort website provided in both French and English is located here: and covers the ski area in depth as well as the possibilities of linking up on skis with the surrounding areas that comprise "Le Grande Massif."
In the summer they are replaced by hiking, Mountain bicycling, golf and other adventure activities like rock climbing and white water rafting.
The golf Highlights are
- Golf de Flaine – Les Carroz - Tel : 00 33 4 50 90 80 74 -- 18 holes, length 4063m, par 63 Open 1/7-31/8, weekends only 15/6-30/6 & 1/9-30/9 Green fees (daily) 18 holes 30€, 9 holes 19€ A spectacular mountain course at an altitude of 1900m. Fantastic views over the Alps.
- Practice de Golf du Lac aux Dames, Samoens - Tel : 00 33 4 50 34 40 28 -- Length 150m. Open 1/7-31/8 Driving range over water + 9 hole putting green.
- Golf des Gets Tel: 00 33 4 50 75 87 63 18 holes, length 5264m, par 70. Open : 15/6-20/10 Green fees (daily) from 29€ to 38€, weekend passes available, Mountain golf course with a superb panoramic view.
- Golf d’Avoriaz, Morzine - Tel: 00 33 4 50 74 17 08 -- 9 holes, length 2923m, par 36. Open: 29/6-15/9 Green fees (daily) 21€ Mountain golf links at the entrance to the resort of Avoriaz. Superb panoramic view.
- Bureau des Guides +33 450 34 43 12  White water,canyoning, rafting, walking, climbing, mountaineering, pot holing, via ferrata.
- Adventures Payraud +33 450 93 63 63  White water, cano-rafting, rafting.
- Ecolorado Rafting +33 450 34 45 26  All water activities
- Espace Montagne +33 5 45 21 84 57  All water activities, climbing, mountaineering, potholing, via ferrata.
- Sixt aventure passion +33 450 34 16 85  Canoing, kayak, airboat, rafting, canyoning, walking, climbing, mountaineering, via ferrata.
- Air Samoens +33 450 34 95 80  Paragliding
- Indiana Parc +33 450 74 01 88 
Being a rather typical small mountain village there are the rather typical shops: a Tabac (newspaper and tobacco shop), a couple of small markets, a bakery, the village butcher R.Roux (sells excellent local meat and prepared foods), and of course sporting goods shops focusing on the primary winter and summer activities of the region.
There is a lively market on Friday mornings in Morillon with local produce at very good prices.
With in Morillon and its environs lay a number of very good a well priced restaurants, almost all of them specializing in local dishes or Pizza. Among the best are:
- Le Potet across the river in Verchaix
- Le Tourne Piere locate a few meters from the center of town
Prepared take away food is also available from R.Roux and the local Hyper-Markets.
- Bar Le Parisian - this bar is centrally located across from the church, it is a full service bar run by the Wife of the Current Mayor (2006)
- Le Puzze - Located just across from the telecabin this bar is popular with English tourists and serves a limited lunch and dinner menu.
- Le Tomawack - This is a Discotech located next to the river and is frequented by locals and tourists alike in the area prime operating hours are 12-5am on Friday and Saturday nights.
The primary source of accommodation in Morillon is rental chalets and apartments many of which can be booked on the internet and a particularly simple option as many of the owners are British. There is one hotel centrally located in town the Hotel Le Morillon.
Located Down the Valley in Samoëns:
- Hotel Neige et Roc  - A three star rated hotel located on the north end of Samoëns, open year round and providing both hotel and apartment style accommodation.
- Hotel Morillon  - Hotel le Morillon - Mr et Mme JOURDAN 74 440 MORILLON - Tel : 04 50 90 10 32 - Fax : 04 50 90 70 08 - [email protected] - Rooms can be reserved online, in typical French fashion food will be included as part of the price unless other wise specified by you.
- Chalet Rentals - There are a number of very reasonable Chalets and apartments that can be booked by the week or month.
There are many easy local day trips from Morillon: by car Chamonix, Les Gets, and Sixt with its pristine Cirque Du Fer-a-Cheval national park and Cascade Du Roget are all easily reachable. Nearer to Morillon is the larg village of Samoëns.