Montrose  is a city in the Uncompahgre Valley in Southwestern Colorado. It is a gateway to both Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park to its east and Telluride and other ski areas in the San Juan Mountains to the south. It is also home to the West Elks American Viticultural Area (AVA), part of Colorado's Wine Country and home to the highest wine vineyards in North America.
Montrose is the second-largest town in western Colorado. Located on the valley floor, Montrose is surrounded by the beautiful mountain ranges of the Uncompahgre Plateau and the snow-capped West Elk Mountains.. Outdoor enthusiasts can hike, camp or enjoy boating and fishing in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and the Curecanti National Recreation Area.
Montrose is named after Sir Walter Scott's historic novel, "A Legend of Montrose" because the area reminded Joseph Selig, the town founder, of Scotland's lake country.
Montrose Regional Airport  (IATA: MTJ), 2100 Airport Road, Phone: +1=970-249-3203, Fax: +1-970-249-2808 Regional service from Denver. Used most heavily during ski season. Cafe, vending, restrooms, car rentals.
There are major airports in Denver and Grand Junction.
- Denver International Airport , (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN). Commonly referred to as DIA. It is located about 20 miles to the east of downtown. Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, and Southwest Airlines all maintain hubs at the airport in Concourses A, B, and C respectively. Most other major domestic carriers also have service here.
- Grand Junction Regional Airport , (IATA: GJT, ICAO: KGJT), otherwise known as Walker Field, is served by six airlines with nonstop service to Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. Some service is seasonal.
- US 50 runs east-west through town, from Grand Junction to the west and east to Gunnison and Pueblo.
- US 550 comes in from Albuquerque ending at the corner of Townsend Avenue and Main Street, in Montrose.
- Greyhound Bus Lines, 1360 North Townsend, Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-6673, .
If you want to travel around town, then you will need to rent a vehicle. Prices are the same as across the United States. Downtown Montrose is easily navigated by foot.
- Budget Rent A Car, ☎ +1-970- 249-6083, .
- Dollar Rent A Car, ☎ +1-970-249-3770, .
- Enterprise Rent A Car, ☎ +1-970- 240-3835, .
- National Car Rental, ☎ +1-970-252-8898, .
- Thrifty Car Rental, ☎ +1-970-249-8741, .
- Cimarron Railroad Exhibits, (Located within Curecanti National Recreation Area, 20 mi east of Montrose, just off US 50), ☎ +1-970-249-4074. See authentic restored 1880s locomotives and trestles from the Denver & Rio Grande Narrow Gauge Railroad
- The Climbing Tree Children's Museum, 400 N. Townsend Ave Montrose, ☎ +1-970-240-8733, . Construction zone, kid's kitchen, toddler tumbling mat, infant stimulation and parent resource library, booknook tree house, arts and crafts room, chalk and magnet walls, live small animals, puppet theaters, dress up and performance stage.
- Montrose Botanic Gardens, 1800 Pavilion Drive Montrose (Located just south of the Montrose Pavilion), ☎ +1-970-249-0742 ([email protected]), . Flowers, rock gardens and ornamental fruit trees, with the San Juan Mountains as a backdrop.
- Montrose County Historical Museum, (In the former Denver & Rio Grande Train Depot at the corner of Main and Rio Grande), ☎ +1-970-249-2085. Focuses on early day pioneer life: buggies, wagons, farm implements and a completely furnished homesteader's cabin. The inside houses a country store, railroad memorabilia, a children's corner, Indian artifacts, and musical instruments,
- Museum of the Mountain West, 68169 E. Miami Rd Montrose (Located at the corner of E. Miami Rd and US 50, 2.5 miles east from the last light in Montrose heading towards Gunnison), ☎ +1-970-249-4162 ([email protected]), . History of the region from 1840 to 1940. Open air museum with a series of Wild West buildings arranged like a town.
- Ute Indian Museum & Ouray Memorial Park, (Two miles south of Montrose on Hwy. 550 and Chipeta Drive - now also home to the Visitor's Welcome Center.), ☎ +1-970-249-3098. Commemorates the life and culture of the Ute nation. Located on the farm once belonging to the famous Ute leader, Ouray, and his wife, Chipeta. The grounds include the Ouray Memorial and the grave of Chipeta.
- Crested Butte
- Powderhorn Ski Resort, 48338 Powderhorn Rd Mesa Co 81643, ☎ +1-970-268-5700, .
- Cerro Summit Recreation Area, 433 S. 1st Street Montrose, ☎ +1-970-240-1411. Maintained by the City of Montrose for sledding, ice skating and cross country skiing.
- Black Canyon Golf Course, 1350 Birch Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-4653. 18 holes, open to the public.
- The Links at Cobble Creek, 699 Cobble Dr Montrose, ☎ +1-970-240-9542. 18 holes, a driving range and restaurant.
- Visit Colorado's Wine Country. Colorado is home to over 70 wineries and its own indigenous vineyards, the highest in North America. Wine lovers can enjoy many vineyards around Montrose, as well as several scenic day trips to many of the small towns that grow their own grapes. These lovely little communities include Palisade, Paonia, Grand Junction and Hotchkiss.
- Around the Corner Art Gallery, 447 E. Main St Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-4243, .
- Asian Antiques & Designs, 219 Main St Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-7047, . 10 am - 6 pm M-F, 10 am - 5 pm Sat..
- Rockrose Art Gallery, 701 E. Main St. #D Montrose, ☎ +1-970-240-9375, .
- SheShe Boutique & Gallery, 340 East Main St Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249.4944, .
- Café 110, 110 N. Townsend Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-0777, . Breakfast M-Sa 7AM-11AM, Lunch 11AM-2PM.
- J.J.'s Taste of Chicago, 411 N. Townsend Montrose, ☎ +1-970-240-8080, .
- Garlic Mike's, 103 Rose Ln, Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-4381, . New Jersey-style Italian cuisine. Red-checked tablecloths, outdoor dining. Menu ranging from escargot to veal scalopinne picata. Cell-phones off policy makes for a relaxed, slow-paced atmosphere.
- Remington's at the Bridges, 2500 Bridges Dr. Montrose, ☎ +1-970-252-1010. Casual elegance with five-star service and local organic produce. Dine inside or out, with beautiful mountain views
- Smuggler's Brew Pub & Grill, 1571 Ogden Rd Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-0919, . Gyros, Philly Cheese steaks, grilled burgers, burritos, pasta and baby back ribs. Pale Ale, Wheat, Stout and Porter, as well as Martinis and Cosmopolitans.
- Best Western Red Arrow, 1702 E Main Street, +1 970 249-9641, Toll-free: +1 800 468-9323, Fax: +1 970 249-8380, .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 1391 S Townsend Ave, +1 970 240-1800, .
- Canyon Creek Bed & Breakfast, 820 Main St, Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-2886, . Convenient Main Street location in an old farmhouse. Social setting since this bed and breakfast also has a cocktail lounge. Massages available with reservations. Sunny, coffee-colored rooms with ensuite bathrooms and flat panel TVs.
- Cedar Creek RV Park, 126 Rose Lane Montrose, ☎ +1-1-970-249-3884, .
- Centennial RV Park, 23449 US 550 Montrose, ☎ +1-970-240-3832. Full hookups, tent sites, hot showers, laundry, convenience store, play area, heated pool. Open May 1 - Nov. 1.
- Hangin' Tree RV Park, 17250 US 550 Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-9966. Full hookups, pull-throughs, showers, laundry, convenience store, gas, liquor store, propane. Year round.
- Kings Riverbend, 65120 Old Chipeta Tr Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-8235. Shady, large big-rig sites on the river, 50 amp service. Fisherman's choice.
- Montrose RV Resort, ☎ +1-970-249-9177 or +1-888-249-9554, . 30 and 50 amp hook-ups plus free cable and free wireless internet. Heated pool open seasonally. Laundry facilities and restrooms.
Most Starbucks, hotels and coffee shops throughout the region offer wireless Wi-Fi access. But if you don't have a computer, try the public libraries.
- Montrose Public Library, 320 South 2nd St Montrose, ☎ +1-970-249-9656.
- Main Street Essentials Day Spa, 204 South Uncompahgre, Montrose, ☎ +1-970-252-0381, .
- Grand Mesa National Forest  Grand Mesa, the world's largest flat top mountain. Located 45 miles north of Montrose.
- Uncompahgre National Forest Over a million acres comprise some of the most spectacular views. Located south of Montrose.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!