|(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)|
| || |
*'''Eastdale Mall''', [http://www.shopmalls.com/mall.cfm?mall=1]. Anchored by Belk, Dillard's, JCPenney, Sears
, an 8-screen movie theatre, and the only in-a-mall indoor ice rink in Alabama. |+|
*'''Eastdale Mall''', [http://www.shopmalls.com/mall.cfm?mall=1]. Anchored by Belk, Dillard's, JCPenney, Sears, and the only in-a-mall indoor ice rink in Alabama
| || |
Revision as of 00:18, 12 June 2013
- For other places with the same name, see Montgomery (disambiguation).
Montgomery  is the capital of Alabama, in the River Heritage region of the state.
Montgomery briefly held the title of capital of the Confederacy and was also the site of Jefferson Davis' inauguration. Montgomery was also a pivotal location during the civil rights movement, seeing the arrest of Rosa Parks and the ensuing bus boycott, as well as numerous non violent protests led by Dr. Martin Luther King.
- Montgomery Airport, 4445 Selma Highway, Phone: +1 334 281-5040, . The Montgomery Airport is a small airport with American Eagle, Delta Connection, and US Airways Express operating out of the airport. Consider flying through Atlanta (2 hours away by car) or Birmingham (1.5 hours away by car) to save money.
The two major interstate highways that serve Montgomery are I-85, which connects Montgomery with Atlanta, Georgia; and I-65 which connects Montgomery with Birmingham to the north and Mobile to the south.
- Greyhound, 950 W South Blvd., Phone: +1 334 286-0658, . Hours: The bus station and ticketing is open 24 hours/ 7 days.
- megabus.com, ☎ 1-877-462-6342, . Express bus service to/from New Orleans and Atlanta. Double Deck Coaches with WiFi, Restrooms, Power Outlets and seats starting at $1.
Montgomery Area Transit System (MATS)  operates the bus and trolley system in Montgomery.
- Alabama Shakespeare Festival, 1 Festival Dr., 
- Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, One Museum Drive, +1 334 240-4333, (email:[email protected]), . 10AM-5PM Tu-Sa, 10AM-9PM Th, 12PM-5PM Su. Free.
- Civil Rights Memorial, 400 Washington Avenue, +1 334 956-8200, .
- Blount Cultural Park, 6055 Vaughn Road, +1 334 274-0062, . Daily 6AM-10PM.
- Hank Williams Museum, 118 Commerce Street, +1 334 262-3600, . 9AM-5PM M-Sa, 1PM-4PM Su.
- Alabama State Capitol, 600 Dexter Avenue, +1 334 242-3935, . 9AM-5PM M-Sa.
- Rosa Parks Library and Museum, 251 Montgomery Street, +1 334 241-8615, . 9AM-5PM M-F, 9AM-3PM Sa.
- Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, 454 Dexter Avenue, +1 334 263-3970, . 10AM-4PM Tu-F, 10AM-2PM Sa. Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. preached at the church for six years. Adults $5, Children $3.
- Montgomery Zoo, 2301 Coliseum Parkway, +1 334 240-4900, .
- Old Alabama Town, 301 Columbus Street, +1 334 240-4500,. 9AM-4PM, M-Sa. There are no facades or newly constructed buildings here! Our 19th century village features completely authentic 19th and early 20th century homes and buildings that have been saved from demolition, carefully restored, and reopened to the public as a history museum. At Old Alabama Town, you will learn how early Americans of all backgrounds lived and worked in Central Alabama. Adults, $10; Children ages 6-18, $5. Free to ages 5 and younger. A 10 percent discount is offered to AAA, military and seniors.
- Alabama National Fair, 
- Alabama Shakspeare Festival,1 Festival Dr., 
- The Capri Theatre, 1045 E. Fairview. Montgomery's only independent movie theatre.
- Alabama State University, .
- Southern Christian University, .
- Auburn University Montgomery, .
- Faulkner University, . Is a small Christian university.
- Huntingdon College, . A small United Methodist affiliated college.
- Air University, . AU is operated by the U.S. Air Force.
- Eastdale Mall, . Anchored by Belk, Dillard's, JCPenney, Sears, and the only in-a-mall indoor ice rink in Alabama.
- The Shoppes at Eastchase http://www.theshoppesateastchase.com/. Anchored Dillards, DSW, Books A Million, Rooms Togo, Dicks Sporting Goods, Target, Kohl's, Earthfare, and smallers stores such as The GAP, Banana Republic, Ware Jewelers, American Eagle Outfitters, Ann Taylor, Anthony Vince, AT&T Wireless, Bath & Body Works , Buckle, Cache, Campus Spirit, Express. Dining options are Bonefish Grill, LaJolla Restaurant and Bar, and many more.
Montgomery's diners tend to be very basic eaters. Lunch times are often served as a "meat and three plate". That is where a restaurant, during the lunch hour, serves a meat course and three sides (vegetables or potatoes). It tends to be very filling (perhaps too filling)but reliable quantity and quality wise.
There seems to be a preference for corporate generic restaurants (Outback, Olive Garden, Red Lobster). If they have a franchise, Montgomery probably has one.
You need to understand a few southern cuisines when dining in Montgomery and these are applicable throughout the Alabama and Mississippi area.
Most restaurants serve "sweet" tea--sweetened with sugar, and may be too sweet for some. when ordering iced tea, "unsweetened" is also an option.
Bar-B-Que means that meat is slow cooked over a wood fire. Sauce is served seen the full range of sauces (mustard type, tomato based, Tex-Mex).
Montgomery is home for the Hyundai automobile plant. Look for several fine Korean and Pan Asian restaurants and interesting menu items.
Montgomery is in lower Alabama and you can expect, in some of the better restaurants, some Cajun influence.
- 3D Dogs,(334) 358-1903 153 W Main St, Prattville, AL. Provides a great selection that ranges from Chicago Style hot dogs to gyros.
- Scott St. Deli, 412 Scott St. A downtown landmark, serves sandwiches and basic deli fare.
- Chris' Hot Dogs, 138 Dexter Ave. Another favorite, serves, as the name implies, hot dogs and the like.
- Casa Napoli, 5331 Young Barn Road, Montgomery, AL (334)274-9111. Contemporary and traditional Italian dishes
- Jim & Nicks Bar-B-Que, 6415 Atlanta Hwy, Montgomery, AL 36117, (334)213.0046. Chain Barbecue restaurant.
- Cafe Louisa, 1034 E. Fairview. Coffee and bakery with affordable sandwiches and other cafe fare
- Tomatino's, 1036 E. Fairview. One of the oldest locally owned pizzerias.
- El Rey Burrito Lounge, 1031 E. Fairview. Tex-Mex with a contemporary flair.
- Garretts, 7780 Atlanta Hwy, Montgomery - (334) 396-9950. Fine dining, heavy on fish, with a southern-influenced menu.
- La Jolla, 6854 Eastchase Pkwy, Montgomery, AL 36117, (334) 356-2600. Tapas and gourmet dining; known locally for the wine selection.
- Vintage Year, 405 Cloverdale Rd, Montgomery, AL 36106,(334) 264-8463.
- Luna, 8123 Vaughn Rd. Upscale Tapas restaurant and bar.
- Montgomery Brewing Company, 12 W. Jefferson. Montgomery's only microbrewery.
- America's Best Inn , 977 W. South Blvd., +1 334 288-5740, Fax: +1 334 286-0042.
- America's Best Inn , 5135 Carmichael Road, +1 334 270-9199, Fax: +1 334 270-9199.
- Best Western Hope Hull Inn , 7731 Slade Plaza Boulevard, +1 334 280-0306, Fax: +1 334 284-0909.
- Best Western Monticello Inn , 5837 Monticello Drive, +1 334 277-4442, Fax: +1 334 277-9669.
- Residence Inn Montgomery , 1200 Hilmar Court, +1 334 270-3300, Fax: +1 334 260-0907.
- SpringHill Suites Montgomery , 1201 Townplace Drive, +1 334 409-9999, Fax: +1 334 409-0061.
- TownePlace Suites Montgomery , 5047 TownePlace Drive, +1 334 396-5505, Fax: +1 334 396-5504.
- Wingate by Wyndham Montgomery, 2060 East Boulevard, Montgomery, AL 36117, ☎ (334) 244-7880, .
- Motel 6 , 1051 Eastern Boulevard, +1 334 277-6748, Fax: +1 334 277-9195.
- Comfort Suites Montgomery , 110 Folmar Pkwy, +1 334 613-9843.
- Courtyard Montgomery , 5555 Carmichael Road, +1 334 272-5533, Fax: +1 334 279-0853.
- Red Roof Inn Montgomery , 5601 Carmichael Road, +1 334 270-0007, Fax: +1 334 270-0007.
- Holiday Inn , 1185 Eastern Blvd, +1 334 272-0370.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites , 4273 Troy Highway, +1 334 281-6000.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites , 9250 Boyd-cooper Parkway, +1 334 271-5516.
- Ramada Inn Montgomery Airport, 1100 W. South Blvd. (I-65 at Exit 168), ☎ +1 334-281-1660 (fax: +1 334 281-1667), . (32.328,-86.339)
- Embassy Suites Hotel & Conference Center , 300 Tallapoosa Street, 334-269-5055.
- Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel & Conference Center at Capitol Hill , 2500 Legends Circle, Phone: +1 334 290-1235, (Fax: +1 334 290-2111, [email protected]).
Montgomery's area code is 334.
For emergencies dial 911 for medical and police assistance. Avoid the West and Southwestern parts of the city, as these tend to be where most of the crime is concentrated. Carjacking is not uncommon, so keep your doors locked when not around your vehicle. The Eastern portion of the city, specifically from the Eastern Blvd onward, offers many safe and family friendly shopping attractions and venues.
During the months of April through October, Montgomery experiences periods of high heat and humidity. Plan your "outside" days accordingly. Be sure to acclimatize to the heat (this should take a few days), take advantage of early mornings and evenings, drink plenty of water.
|Routes through Montgomery