Montauk is a hamlet in East Hampton on Long Island in New York
Montauk is known by many Long Island residents as "The End". The reason being that it is the easternmost point of the island and New York state.
Montauk has a rich history. It is named after the Montaukett tribe that lived on the lands that now encompass Montauk for centuries. Urban legend tells of Captain Kidd burying treasure somewhere in Montauk around 1700. Montauk is also home to the oldest ranch in the United Sates, Deep Hallow Ranch.
At the point of the hamlet stands Montauk Point Lighthouse, the first lighthouse built in New York and fourth oldest lighthouse in the United States.
Montauk is home to the largest commercial and recreational fishing fleet in the state of New York. It boasts the claim that it has more saltwater fishing records than any other port in the world.
Montauk has a humid subtropical climate and is one of the northernmost locations in North America with this climate type. The Atlantic Ocean brings warmer winters than inland areas of the same latitude as well as cooler springs and summers. The monthly daily average temperature ranges from 32.3 °F (0.2 °C) in January to 72.4 °F (22.4 °C) in July. There is 43.6 inches of precipitation annually, which is fairly evenly distributed throughout the course of the year.
| Daily highs (°F)
| Nightly lows (°F)
| Precipitation (in)
Montauk is easily accessible by car, by bus, by rail,and even by boat.
Taking a plane to New York is easy. There are three airports to chose from in the region. John F. Kennedy Airport (JKF) and LaGuardia Airport, both in Queens, and MacArthur Airport in Islip are all easily the first step to getting to Montauk.
Either travelling in your own car or by rental car it is easy to get out to "The End". The only road that goes out to seaside town is Sunrise Highway (or Route 27), which runs from New York City all the way to Montauk. Along the way Sunrise Highway turns into Montauk Highway yet it is still known as Route 27.
The Hampton Jitney bus service runs from Manhattan to Montauk.
There are also local buses run by Suffolk from town to town.
The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) is an alternative to driving. It too runs from Penn Station in Manhattan to Montauk.
There are also places at which one can dock their boat and also ferries that run from other East End locations.
If one has their car, it can certainly come in handy to see and do everything one wants to in Montauk. If not, or if one has had one too many drinks, there are other alternatives.
Ditch Plains Taxi, 10 Sanger Place, ☎ (631) 668-5716
Lindy's Taxi, 717 Montauk Hwy, ☎ (631) 668-4747
Moko Taxi, 101 Industrial Road, ☎ (631) 668-7070
Montauk's Best Taxi, 11 Shore Road, ☎ (631) 668-5520
Surf Taxi, 414 W Lake Dr, ☎ (631) 668-1111
- Camp Hero State Park, 1898 Old Montauk Hwy (Enter the park at the main entrance (East Gate) a half mile west of the Montauk Point Lighthouse, and park at one of two small parking fields), ☎ (631)-668-3781. 8am-4pm. This State Park formerly housed U.S. Army and U.S. Airforce bases. Roads cross the park, along with an extensive system of trails for hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding, a beach used by surfers and surfcasters, a picnic area with grills and an old maritime forest $8.
- Hither Hills State Park, 164 Old Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-2554, . A beautiful state park that has camp grounds, grills, and beach access. It offers families, couples, and individuals a great place to enjoy a day or even a weekend. Great outdoor recreation. (41.016335831100001,-72.021677481799998)
- Montauk Point Lighthouse, 2000 Montauk Hwy, ☎ (631) 668-2544, . The Montauk Lighthouse is a historical lighthouse with a beautiful view of "The End" of Long Island. It is the easternmost lighthouse on Long Island. Adult: $9 Seniors: $7 Children: $4.
There is plenty to do in Montauk. It is renowned for its fishing and even claims to have the most saltwater fish records than any other port in the world. There are six state parks, the famed Montauk Point Lighthouse, and many restaurants, shops, and sights.
- Montauk Bike Shop, 725A Montauk Hwy., ☎ (631) 668- 8975, .
- Ditch Plains Beach, (east of the Village). Great spot to surf. There is a parking lot, outside showers/restrooms, few food stops.
- Fort Pond, Fort Pond Bay. Great place to launch ocean kayaks. The beach is pebbly, so be prepared. No restroom or public parking.
- South Edison Beach, (End of South Edison Street.). Popular beach with a life guard on duty during the summer months. There are public restrooms on site. Restaurants and shops are within a walking distance.
- Elizabeth II Charters, 440 West Lake Drive., ☎ (631) 668-3860, .
- Flying Cloud, 468 West Lake Drive., ☎ (631)-668-2026, .
- Marilin Fleet and Ebb Tide, 470 West Lake Drive., ☎ (631)-668-2818, .
- Miss Montauk, 426 West Lake Drive., ☎ (631) 668-1545, .
- Viking Fleet, 462 West Lake Drive., ☎ (631) 668-5700, .
Numerous specialty shops and markets line Main Street (Montauk Highway). It is here that you can find an array of fresh, local, and handmade goods.
Beach Apparel & Accessories
- Air & Speed Board Shop, 795 Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-0356. Surf shop. http://www.airandspeedsurf.com/
- Espo's, 2101 Montauk Highway, ☎ 631267-SURF. Beach accessories and fun. Surfboards, kayaks, canoes, and stand up paddle board. http://www.esposurfshop.com/
- Kailani, 729C Montauk Highway, ☎ 631 668.1518. Hawaiian inspired store that sells clothing, local artwork, and unique furniture. http://www.shopkailani.com/
- Beach Boutique and Spa, 478 Westlake Dr., ☎ 631668-8047. All natural made in Montauk spa products, jewelry, beach wear, and more. http://www.thebeachboutiqueandspa.com/
- Summer Stock, Old Plothouse at Gosman's Dock, ☎ 631.668-3243. Women's and children's apparel ranging from designer causal to beach wear. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Summer-Stock/214028788623277
- White's Drug and Department Store, Plaza, ☎ 631.668-2994. The only full-stock pharmacy in Montauk. Anything from medicine to socks can be found here.
- Herbs Market, 778 Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-2335. Specialty food. http://herbsmontaukmarket.com/
- Montauk Bookshop, 37a The Plaza, ☎ 631-668-4599. Books and accessories. http://www.montaukbookshop.com/
- Paulie's Tackle, 4 Edgemere Street, ☎ 631) 668-5520. Fishing equipment store. http://www.pauliestackle.com/
- Strawberry Field Flowers, 695 Montauk Hwy, ☎ (631) 668-6279. Flower shop for all occasions. http://www.strawberryfieldsflowers.com/
- Vintage Pink, ☎ 631.668-8200. Mind, Body, Spirit, and Vintage Jewelry. Here you can find unique china, crystals, Buddhas, Jade yoga pants and much more. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage-Pink/163358650446782
- Willow, The Plaza, ☎ 631-668-0772. Fun home decorations. http://www.willowinmontaukonline.com/Willowinmontaukonline.com/Welcome.html
Numerous restaurants for every taste are in Montauk. There is an abundance of fresh, locally caught seafood markets, restaurants, and bars. No matter what it is that you are looking for, fine dining or a casual eatery, you can easily find it in Montauk.
- Duryea's Lobster Deck, 65 Tuthill Road, ☎ (631) 688-2410, .
- Fishbar Montauk Seafood Restaurant, 467 East Lake Drive, ☎ (631) 668-6600, .
- Harvest on Fort Pond, 11 South Emery Street, ☎ (631) 668-5574, .
- Montauk Bake Shoppe, 29 The Plaza, ☎ 631-668-2439.
- Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina, 32 Star Island Road, ☎ (631) 668-3100, .
- Montauket, 88 Firestone Rd, ☎ (631)-668-5992.
- Naturally Good Foods & Café, 38 South Etna Ave., ☎ 631-668-9030.
- Tre Bella, 236 Edgemere St, ☎ 631-668-2322, .
Bars and lounges are all around Montauk. Local bars are often frequented by fisherman and tourists alike.
- The Sloppy Tuna, 148 Emerson Avenue, ☎ (631)-647-8000, . The Sloppy Tuna is a restaurant, bar and nightclub located on the beach in Montauk. Known as the place to let your hair down in town, while getting a delicious bite to eat and gazing at the mesmerizing beach and beauty of Montauk. 6-20$.
- The Surf Lodge, 183 Edgemere St (From Southern State Parkway Take exit 40 for Robert Moses Causeway S toward Oceans Beaches Take exit RM1E toward NY-27 E/Montauk Merge onto NY-27 E Turn left onto Main St Turn left onto The Plaza Turn left onto S Edgemere St), ☎ (631)-483-5037, .
- The Point Bar and Grill, 697 Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-1500, . Sunday–Saturday: 12pm–4am.
Montauk offers a wide array of hotels, bed & breakfast, and motels to accomodate all visitors. The interesting thing about Montauk is that you will not find any chain operated hotels or motels. This is because Southampton zoning laws forbid chain hotels. Therefore each hotel, motel, and bed & breakfast is independently owned and operated.
- Gurney's Inn Spa & Salon, 290 Old Montauk Hwy., ☎ 631-668-2345, . Nestled among the dunes of Montauk, New York, at the very tip of Long Island, Gurney's Inn Resort & Spa has, for eight decades, been a place for stressed New Yorkers to escape the pressures of the city. It's spectacular ocean views and remote, wild, windswept setting, combined with one of the nation's few true sea water pools make it a true year-round destination - a place where the cares of the world seem mercifully distant.
- Hartman's Briney Breezes Motel, ☎ 631-668-2290, . Overlooking Montauk's famed white, sandy beaches with breathtaking Ocean View from all of our newly renovated rooms, each with a terrace or balcony. We have 1 and 2 room accommodations.
- Memory Motel, 692 Montauk Highway, ☎ 347-387-1721. World famous Motel & Bar immortalized by the Rolling Stones in the mid 70's. 13 room Motel with moderate rates attached to rowdy and packed bar which features live music and trendy djs.
- Montauk Manor, 236 Edgemere St., ☎ 631-668-4400, . Perched on one of the highest points in Montauk with stunning views, this wonderful old building is a historic landmark that has been restored and turned into a modern luxury resort hotel / condominium. The facility has a restaurant, tennis courts and indoor swimming pool and is within walking distance of town and the beach. Newly renovated conference facility.
- The Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina, 32 Star Island Road, Montauk, ☎ +1 888-MYC-8668, . Has long been a destination for visitors to the shores of Long Island's South Fork East End.
- Ocean Resort Inn, 95 S. Emerson Ave, ☎ 631-668-2300, . Footsteps to the Ocean - Jacuzzi's for two, Ocean view rooms & suites.
- Sands Motel, 71 S. Emery St., ☎ 631-668-5100, . 75' from ocean beach, located near the western end of the village. Motels amenities include 50' pool, bedrooms & efficiencies, w/ phones, A/C, refrigerator, Wi-Fi Internet access, TV/HBO, all rooms non-smoking. Deluxe 2-1/2 room suites with full kitchen & private balcony; 2-bedroom cottage; BBQ's. CHILDREN WELCOME.
- Shadmoor State Park, 900 Montauk Highway, ☎ (631) 668-3781, . Shadmoor State Park is a 99-acre state park located in Suffolk County, New York. It is one quarter-mile east of Montauk. The park has trails for hiking, biking and even cross-country skiing. It even offers several hilltop views that are perfect for bird-watchers.
- Amsterdam Beach State Park, . Amsterdam Beach State Park is a 122 acre park in East Hampton, NY, just east of Montauk. Although the park is undeveloped, it includes 1,288 feet of ocean shoreline, 54 acres of wetlands and several ponds for your viewing pleasure. The area has been nicknamed the "Montauk Moorlands."