Meppadi is a city in Kerala in India. It is an important place on the Kozhikode-Ooty State Highway 29, and is 10 km east of Kalpetta. Chembra peak, the highest hill in Wayanad, is near this town. The places of interest are Sentinel Rock waterfall, Kanthanpara waterfalls, Meenmutty Waterfalls, Edakkal Caves, and Pookot Lake. Meppadi hill is a good spot for trekking.
Meppadi is 90 km (2 hr) from Kozhikode/Calicut.
Meppadi is 150 km (3 hr) from Ooty.
Meppadi is 290 km (7 hr) from Bangalore.
- Bus - Plenty of local bus services are available for transportation between the townships. But if you want to go to some tourist places you have to rely on a taxi.
- Autorickshaw - Autorickshaws are cheaper compared to taxis and can be used to reach the interior places from the townships.
- Taxi - Local taxis are also available at cheap rates. In Wayanad, the term taxi is mostly in reference with a Jeep style vehicle.
- Car - You can hire a car from most of the townships if you want to travel independently.
- Walk - Many places of attractions are near by the towns so you could walk between them.
- Soochipara (Sentinel Rock) Waterfalls. is a spectacular three tiered waterfalls in Vellarimala, surrounded by dense equatorial forest vegetation. Locally referred to as Soochipara (Needle-like Rock) The 15-20 min drive from Meppadi to Sentinel Rock waterfalls offers scenic views of some of the best tea estates in Wayanad. The Sentinel Rock waterfalls are 200 m (656 ft) and offers a cliff face that is ideal for rock climbing. The waterfalls are a bit crowded at times.
- Meenmutty Waterfalls, (12 km from Meppadi). Very nice and very good trekking. You need to be fit and carry something to eat. You have to pay the forest entry fee and secure a guide. This waterfall is in 3 steps. You can visit the second step (only in Dec-Apr). It involves a good trek through some difficult terrain, but the end result is breath-taking. Not only is the view of the waterfall amazing but you can get wet too. One has to trek inside the jungle for approx 1.5 km to get a view of waterfalls. It passes through coffee and tea plantation. It has an entry fee of Rs 300 for a group of up to 10 people, and you get a very skilled guide to help you to hike to the waterfalls and back up.
- Chembra Peak, (3 km from Mepaddi). At 2,100 m the spectacular peak is the tallest summit in the region. Climbing this peak is a tiring, but a not too difficult 4 km walk. It is worth it; the view at the top is mind-blowing, and you get to see a heart-shaped lake on the way. Camping on the peak is an unforgettable experience. It takes about 5-6 hr to go up and down. There is camping available at the peak. The entry costs Rs 500 for a group of up to 10 people, and you get an excellent guide to accompany you to the top and back.
- Kanthampara Waterfalls, Rippon, Ooty Road (Around 10 km from Meppadi). This is beautiful waterfall near the forest and a nice place for relaxing. Sept-Jan is the best time to visit.
- Karapuzha Dam. Relatively small dam, but located at a very scenic site. Mostly unknown and thus unspoilt by a horde of tourists, it is a perfect way to spend a quiet evening during sunset time.
- Bismi Photostat (Near Markat), Calicut Road Meppadi, ☎ +91 9526597707.
- MALABAR DOORMITORY&ROOMS (Near Juma Masjid Meppadi)), Meppadi (Calicut Road Meppadi), ☎ 8943287070, .
- Central Shop, (Main Road), ☎ +97 4412 3071.
- HOTEL WELCO MEPPADI, meppadi, ☎ 9605515959.
There are few Resorts available in Ripon at affordable rates.
- Meenmutty Heights Holiday Resorts, Ooty Rd Meenmutty, .
- Coffee County Resort, Nallannur, Meppadi (6 Km from Meppadi Town), ☎ +91 974 7595 0099 ([email protected]), . In small village, the area is completely sounded by coffee and tea estates.
- Hotel welco, meppadi, ☎ 9605515959.