The Mentawai islands are a chain of islands in Indonesia off the western coast of Sumatra, recognized as having some of the most perfect surfing breaks in the world. However, because most waves break over very sharp and shallow coral reefs, only experienced surfers should attempt them.
Mentawai people use Bahasa Indonesia and they also have their own Mentawai language.
Over 30 surf charter yachts are based in Padang harbour, around 100km away from the islands on the Sumatra mainland.
Three ways to travel to the Mentawai Islands.
- Join an organized boat charter.
- Take a ferry (Ambu-Ambu ferry).
- Fly by seaplane.
Traditional Mentawai peoples
- Surf Camp Siberut, ☎ +6281374006060 ([email protected]), . Max = 6 surfer and min = 3 surfer. Surfer camp has electricity from 6 am until 10 pm, fan, shower, refrigerator. $500/person for 12 days, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, pickup, service/guide, ferry ticket, snacks.
- mentawaitrekkingsiberut, padang,indonesia, . MENTAWAI ISLAND ”SIBERUT TRIBE” Days 6 Nights contact: [email protected] mobile: +6281374006060
- mentawai trekking siberut, padang,indonesia, ☎ +6281374006060, . MENTAWAI ISLAND ”SIBERUT TRIBE” Days 6 Nights contact: [email protected] mobile: +6281374006060